Making A Starter With Saflager S23

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarsideOfCrazy

Reaction score
I've just made an extract lager brew and while I am waiting for the wort to cool (sitting at 29c as I type) I thought I'd check out the yeast (saflager S23) to double check the fermentation temp. Then I thought I'd triple check on here, and that's when I read that for a lower pitching temp, 15c, you should make a starter.

Ok, I think "I'll do that!"

Then I read that I need to make a wort with a gravity of 1.040 with DME. Well I think that's easy, but I don't have any DME. All that I have here at the moment is some dex that I use for bulk priming.

So my question is can I just use some of the wort from the fermenter to make a starter, if I boil it then cool it to 30c?

Thanks.

Edit spelling

So my question is can I just use some of the wort from the fermenter to make a starter, if I boil it then cool it to 30c?

In a word, yes - perfect. Just pitching the 1 satchet is fine also, just pitch it when the worts at 20c.

cheers Ross

Is there a need to make a starter with a dry yeast at all. I have been told in the past to simply re-hydrate for about 1/2 hour instead???

Is there a need to make a starter with a dry yeast at all. I have been told in the past to simply re-hydrate for about 1/2 hour instead???

Well I was planning on pitching at 15c. Then I read on here that to do that I'd need 2 packets to do that as there would be a bit of lag time and nasties might take over. And as it's 11 o'clock on a Saturday night I can't really just run down to the local HB shop and get another. So the other thing to do is make a starter.

But on Ross's advice I think I'll pitch at 20c and see how she goes.

Thanks for the replies guys.

The point of a starter is for the yeast to multiply, ie start fermentation, which will take days. Just pitch it in as Ross suggested.

Info from the internet on dried yeast re rehydration.

We recommend that the rehydrated yeast be added to the wort within 30 minutes. We have built into each cell a large amount of glycogen and trehalose that give the yeast a burst of energy to kick off the growth cycle when it is in the wort. It is quickly used up if the yeast is rehydrated for more than 30 minutes. There is no damage done here if it is not immediatly add to the wort. You just do not get the added benefit of that sudden burst of energy. We also recommend that you attemperate the rehydrated yeast to with in 15F of the wort before adding to the wort. Warm yeast into a cold wort will cause many of the yeast to produce petite mutants that will never grow or ferment properly and will cause them to produce H2S. The attemperation can take place over a very brief period by adding, in encrements, a small amount of the cooler wort to the rehydrated yeast

Back