Maibock help.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobjF

Reaction score
Hey guys.
I'm thinking about brewing my first Bock and really keen to give a Maibock a go for my first attempt. Have been searching around on the net for somewhere to start with regards to putting a recipe together but there seems to be such a great difference in grain bills and yeasts.
I have JW pils and JW Munich in bulk and the moment, I know it's not German but its what's on hand at present. Should I add Vienna to the bill some of the recipes have large % of Vienna in the bill others have none.
Yeast, was thinking Wyeast for availability reasons, probably 2124 Bohemian lager or 2206 Bavarian lager. Neither of which I have used before but Wyeast recommend these for this style. Any feedback on yeast?
Hop wise was thinking probably Hallertauer Mittelfruh and maybe a small amount of Tettnang.
I'm looking to brew a 35L batch.
Any feed back that will help me formulate a recipe most gratefully received.
Cheers Rob.

Sent from my iPad using Aussie Home Brewer

Thanks DeGarre
Never been on this site before, seem set out really clearly and easy to use thanks again.

Almost have a recipe put together but am finding it hard to pick a yeast having never made anything near this style before.
Do i go Whitelabs 833 German Bock Lager
or do I go Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager
I can probabaly get hold of the Wyeast easier as I shop mostly at G&G. But can always order in the Whitelabs if its going to be a better yeast for the Sytle.
Any help???
Cheers Rob

60% Pils
30% munich
25IBU with Magnum
2206 yeast.

Recipe is from Jamil BYO mag. Important is to have plenty of yeast with a cold clean ferment. You don't want this beer to finish sweet.

Latest posts

Back