Mad Brewers Hoppy Hefe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you guys wann try a great combination of a hoppy beer and a weizen, get hold of a bottle of Brooklyner-Schneider Hopfen-Weisse.

It's basically an IPA brewed with a hefe yeast. Delicious. I've made a few clones of it and come close.

brooklynschneider.jpg

Will have to see if archive is selling these.

Goomba

Mad Brewers Hoppy Hefe was on tap at Beer Delux when we stopped in there earlier today.
Obviously it's not to any set style, but after walking through the dusty crowds at Moomba it was a thoroughly enjoyable very pale, very hoppy beer.

1st Choice had a couple of the Schneider Weisse - much cheaper with 20% disc for six singles :)

I haven't seen the Brooklyner Schneider Hopfen in Australia. That's not to say someone doesn't have it but it'll be expensive.

Tried a bottle of it (640ml). I'm a big fan of both hefeweizen and APAs but wasn't a huge fan of this one. There is a strong hop flavour which pretty much negates any hefeweizen flavour coming through. I prefer a clean crisp finish with hoppy beers and the cloudy wheat body with a strong alcohol finish just doesn't seem to marry well.

Not a bad beer, but if I was after a hoppy APA style beer i'd prefer an APA rather than a hefeweizen dressed up as a APA :p

Mad Brewers Hoppy Hefe was on tap at Beer Delux when we stopped in there earlier today.
Obviously it's not to any set style, but after walking through the dusty crowds at Moomba it was a thoroughly enjoyable very pale, very hoppy beer.

Exactly!!

Press Release!!!

MALT SHOVEL MAD BREWERS
SUMMER 2012 LIMITED RELEASE
HOPPY HEFE

Our Hoppy Hefe however, is a cloudy wheat beer brewed with an outrageous late hop addition creating a strong fruity -citrus hop aroma. While also taking some inspiration for extremes from those beardy-weirdy American hop-head brewers, our team, as usual, were not content to follow the plan and stick to using only U.S. hops, nor to use traditional German wheat yeast.

So get ready for a beer with a difference.

The result of their labours is a 7% alcohol by volume mongrel of a wheat beer with no claim to nationality, but one that will happily back pack its way around Australia this summer, while stocks last.

Screwy

tried hoppy Hefe last night, it was fantastic, come spring I'll be trying to make something in a similar vein

Finally found a bottle of this in dans tuggerah. $7 each. Grabbed 2, in the fridge now, can't wait to try this after closely following 100+ posts!

There was about a dozen bottles at the Albany Creek Dan's here in Brizzy.

Concur with other comments. A tasty US IPA. No Hef to speak of, or any yeast character (banana/clove etc).

Still a very nicely made beer though and would pass as a Hoppy US Wheat. Good to see Mad Brewers doing great stuff. Enjoyed their Noir some time ago.
Look forward to their next round of experiements, these guys are always doing something interesting.

Hopper.

Where'd you locate it on tap, Mark?

I was going to swing by unanderra bottle-o after work and see if they had any left in stock.

Sponge

It was the on at the Wollongong unibar for a while. It has just disappeared with some subpar cider in its place.

Just picked up 2 bottles at my local Safeway Liquor. $7.50 a pop.

Is it just me of are the chain supermarket liquor stores starting to have a few good displays of craft beer - don't get me wrong....long way to go. But I have see a few good craft beer breweries represented in there lately.

I've knocked back 6 bottles - love it.

I'd be interested in thoughts on how to attempt it...

Cheers

Rob

I'm with you rob.

Come on you experienced brewers, let's get a clone up.

Tipped his one down the sink.
Didn't get any bitterness just a mouthful of hops.
Something similar to chewing a hop pellet then washing it down with water, disgusting.

Tipped his one down the sink.
Didn't get any bitterness just a mouthful of hops.
Something similar to chewing a hop pellet then washing it down with water, disgusting.

gotta agree with that, not an enjoyable experience,
a bit sick of hop juice being passed off as beer.....

I would say a clone of this would be fairly simple.
Get 2 buckets of any hop, stick one bucket in late in the boil then dry hop with the other bucket.
It's not gonna matter what else you put in the brew because you aren't gonna taste it.
Just don't forget to use tongue numbing quantities of hop juice.
This one should be ready to drink as soon as you can carbonate it.

Latest posts

Back