Mad Brewers Hoppy Hefe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I've made a clone of this beer just recently, it was pretty well bang on for everything but the yeast. I chose WB06 and it was too over the top, too many esters and too cloudy, nice beer but in a side by side with Hoppy Heffe it was too in your face yeastwise, a brewer I respect reckoned I should do it again but with K97 to get it spot on. Here is the recipe.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 kg Ale Malt, (Barrett Burston) Grain 57.14 %
2.75 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (1.5 SRM) Grain 39.29 %
0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %
25.00 gm Citra [13.90 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
25.00 gm Saaz B [8.10 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
20.00 gm Saaz B [8.10 %] (30 min) Hops 10.6 IBU
20.00 gm Citra [13.90 %] (30 min) Hops 18.1 IBU
45.00 gm Citra [13.90 %] (1 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
45.00 gm Saaz B [8.10 %] (1 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
1 Pkgs Safbrew Wheat (DCL Yeast #WB-06) Yeast-Wheat

Mash 65C for 90 min

cheers

Browndog

HOPPY HEFE!

If you don't like hoppy beers. Don't drink anything advertises HOPPY flavours.

Seriously. What are you after? The label says it's a Hefe. And it's hoppy!

HOPPY HEFE!

If you don't like hoppy beers. Don't drink anything advertises HOPPY flavours.

Seriously. What are you after? The label says it's a Hefe. And it's hoppy!
Didn't taste like a Hefe to me.

Didn't taste like a Hefe to me.
Nobody ever claimed it was a Hefeweizen.
From Wiki: the prefix "hefe" is German for yeast

Mad Brewers made a cloudy wheat beer with heaps of hops, so "Hoppy Hefe" seems like a pretty decent name for it. It's marketed as en extreme hoppy beer, so I can't understand why anyone who does not like overboard-hops would try it or complain about it.

Cause the haters are always going to hate Wolfy.

waiter waiter there are too many hops in this beer :blink:

I really like this beer. Definitely not too hoppy.

If you hop haters want to sample a beer with too many hops you need to try some of Kierens "hop sludge". Hops everywhere mash, sparge, etc ... kilo's of hops in a single batch. the thing is an animal and tastes like chewing on a bag of hops.

Thanks for posting Browndog.
A few mates that arn't into craft beer quite liked the Hoppy Heffe so I will give your recipe a try and might serve it at my 30th.
Cheers.

Nobody ever claimed it was a Hefeweizen.
From Wiki: the prefix "hefe" is German for yeast

Mad Brewers made a cloudy wheat beer with heaps of hops, so "Hoppy Hefe" seems like a pretty decent name for it. It's marketed as en extreme hoppy beer, so I can't understand why anyone who does not like overboard-hops would try it or complain about it.

I tried it because I always try a Mad Brewers if I find one that I haven't tried and I have enjoyed all that I have tried up until this one. I wouldn't even tip most of a Toohey's Red or a VB down the sink and I definitely wouldn't spill a drop of a good IIPA.

I 'complained' about it because I didn't like it, if that is alright with you.

I read this on the label before I purchased it,
'Hoppy Hefe is a robust beast, that takes the best of the German Hefeweizen style, mates it with an American Wheat Wine, Brewed with 45% wheat malt and finished with glorious amounts of Motueka and Citra hops to birth a wheat beer that may never have a nationality. It will reside happily in Australia this summer....while stocks last. Enjoy it while you can with a friend, before we drink what's left.'

I didn't read this bit on the other side of the label'
'Oh these lazy days of summer, perfect for sipping a spicy flavoured sweet and fruity German style wheat beer......NOT! We Mad Brewers think a wheat beer can have bold lashings of hop aroma and flavour - and be all the better for it. So our first offering this year is what we call the "Hoppy Hefe"

All good sales pitch.

For me I didn't get any of the German Hefeweizen Style, couldn't even detect the wheat. Perhaps it caught me on an off moment but I really couldn't come at it. All I could taste was hops. To me a good beer is all about balance, which I believe is still possible even if you use 'glorious amounts of hops'. Myself I would say ridiculous amounts of hops. Any fool can tip a shit load of hops in a brew but it takes a brewing genius to balance it out.

I like my Hefes with their dominant yeast flavours and thought it may be interesting to try one that has hop flavour and aroma, even a bit of bitterness. I haven't had the opportunity to sample an American Barley or Wheat wine so I can't comment on it's influence on the brew, perhaps it's a lot more like that style of beer.

Anyway I'm not tellin anyone not to try it or they shouldn't like it or attempt a clone, I even offered a nice easy method for cloning it :rolleyes:
I'm just sayin I thought it was shit and why. Hop abuse and not use. I like my hops but I don't drink beer just for the hops.

All good sales pitch.
I've only drunk it on-tap, so had no idea what the blurb on the bottle says, the first time I just asked the bar-guy for the most hoppy beer they had and that was what he suggested, was a hot dusty summer day and I found the beer enjoyable - but I'm not a big fan of tart-yeast-driven German wheat beers either.

Thanks for posting Browndog.
A few mates that arn't into craft beer quite liked the Hoppy Heffe so I will give your recipe a try and might serve it at my 30th.
Cheers.

Good luck with it Nathan, let me know how it turns out. I should have mentioned my system runs at about 80% you may need to adjust up or down for yours.

cheers

Browndog

Just picked up 2 bottles at my local Safeway Liquor. $7.50 a pop.

Is it just me of are the chain supermarket liquor stores starting to have a few good displays of craft beer - don't get me wrong....long way to go. But I have see a few good craft beer breweries represented in there lately.

Absolutely, Sierra Nevada Pale now on sale, as well of a lot of other craft brews. Especially through Woolies Liquor, closely related to Dan's. :beerbang:

Maybe its a maturing thing, the first bottle i had was good, but the last couple have been really nice, weizen'y and hoppy, not strong but enough. Im tempted to buy a few more and cellar them for 3+mths.

cheers

OK, I've made a clone of this beer just recently, it was pretty well bang on for everything but the yeast. I chose WB06 and it was too over the top, too many esters and too cloudy, nice beer but in a side by side with Hoppy Heffe it was too in your face yeastwise, a brewer I respect reckoned I should do it again but with K97 to get it spot on. Here is the recipe.

Browndog, this is good to read a recipe that's a success. Myself & a buddy have gone through two cases in about siz weeks, it's that lovely. A clone is on the cards as soon as I find somewhere to get wholesale Motueka & Citra.

It's not in your recipe, but do you think that raw wheat has a place in this brew ? Off the back of a Celis Wit clone that I am drinking, the tartness is something that I seem to recognise in the Hoppy Hefe.

The yeast has been a mystery for me, and while I never thought it was a wheat strain, was planning on 1272 - American Ale II - from Wyeast. I wonder how receptive the brewery is to giving info, maybe they will tell us what they use now that it's out of production. Although with the sheer number of bottles still available, I suspect they have been making subsequent batches.

Certainly a bit of raw wheat is not going to go astray in a brew like that, I would not get too carried away with it though. As for the yeast, I'd be inclined to stick with a wheatie as there are definitely some esters there present in the flavour profile. Good luck finding wholesale prices for the Citra and Moteuka, sounds like you want go into production. Make sure you let us know how it turns out.

cheers

Browndog

The HH is a serious contender for a regular house beer, so I am hoping to go into production in a way. I'm also not happy to pay ridiculous prices for silly little 100g lots from the retailers when 1kg bags work out to be a fraction of the cost. In this instance though, there is little choice. I think the world Citra supply is running at low levels until next season. A big issue with these exclusive-license controlled strains.

Maybe I'll try K97 and Wyeast 3944 in a split batch for comparison purposes.

The HH is a serious contender for a regular house beer, so I am hoping to go into production in a way. I'm also not happy to pay ridiculous prices for silly little 100g lots from the retailers when 1kg bags work out to be a fraction of the cost. In this instance though, there is little choice. I think the world Citra supply is running at low levels until next season. A big issue with these exclusive-license controlled strains.

Maybe I'll try K97 and Wyeast 3944 in a split batch for comparison purposes.

You could also use a mix of american ale and one of the above yeasts for a cleaner/more restrained beer.

What about trying Wyeast 1010 American Wheat?

Sure, why not indeed. I haven't used this strain, but it makes sense when emulating an American style of wheat. The added advantage of the 1010 according to the specs online is that it's rated down to 14 degrees. This time year I struggle with low temps, as I don't use a heat belt, so I'll be retiring my American Ale yeasts for the season.

PS: 1010 also has an ABV tolerance to 10%.

Hey team,

Here's what I'm doing today.
BIAB
Partial
All grains are Weyermann
Code:
2.5kg dark wheat malt

2kg pilsner

230g caraaroma

230g carahell

230g carawheat

30g carafa III