Macquarie Hotel Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:blink: If you're thinking of heading back here steer clear of the pilsner.

Shwartz beer was still quite good though. :chug:

I have an afternoon meeting a couple of blocks away from there today and was thinking of dropping in for a beer. Thanks for the heads up, but what was specifically bad about the Pilsner?

"If you're thinking of heading back here steer clear of the pilsner."

I can't agree more. I was there last week and all the beers were ok except the pilsner. It had a horrible chemically taste. A mate reckoned it tasted like rockmellon and quite liked it. I almost took it back myself.

I've been there a few times now and I find that its really hit and miss (all the beers, not just the pilsner). Sometimes they have a really good batch and other times they're a bit ordinary. The Schartz beer always seems to be nice though.

BK

Well put BK. I think the Shwartz , being a dark beer is more forgiving when it comes to faults.

I hope they lift their game. This sort of performance and inconsistency is giving new micros a bad name.

I was in here today and gave the Pilsner back to the barmaid, one of the few beers that I ever failed to drink, and this won a bronze at comp?
SWMBO could not drink the wheat beer, the hops where well past their use by date and there was nothing to to suggest that it was in fact a wheat.
The Schwarz was much better but the roast malt was almost overpowering.
I probably sound like a miserable twat but was looking forward to this brewpub, I think we are just spoiled in the West.

Any thoughts as to whether the cause is bad brewing, or the beers just aren't moving so are showing bad signs of old age ?

Doc

That is a shame, I went there a little while ago and it wasn't too bad at all.

Are Wes or Gerard still in touch with the Macca? What's going on there?

I was involved with the installation & did the start up brews that went to the AIBA last year, but haven't been back since May 2004.
Cheers
Gerard

I was at the Macquarie last night and feel compelled to write something about the beers I tried there.
First one was the wheat beer. Apparently the brewer is trying to recreate the bavarian style, but it lacks the distinctive banana and clove. There was a bit of banana in there, and there was plenty of wheat taste, but it was more like an Australian or US wheat beer. ie. take a wheat beer recipe and ferment it with a normal ale yeast, rather than a specialty bavarian one.

Then I tried the schwartz beer. It was pretty nice. Liked the roast character, but one of the main flavours in there was diacetyl. For all those who have always wanted to find out what diacetyl smells and tastes like in a beer, now you know where to go. The beer came through as quite buttery (thats diacetyl), but worked reasonably well in the beer. However, by the end of the glass, it was starting to get sickly sweet-buttery.

Finally, I tried the Pale Ale. As far as I can tell from the website: "...with a very nice aroma-hops from East Kent." Well, thats not any sort of east kent hops I have ever had. In fact I have never had hops that pungent or distasteful before. They were extremely intense, and came across as some combination of intense grapefruit with some strong herby character as well. In fact, when I woke up this morning, I could still taste it. The bitterness of the beer seemed to be about right, but I wasn't really concentrating on that at the time.

Overall, I believe the beers were quite fresh, although a bit of age on the wheat beer might explain the muted flavours a little bit. So I don't think the micro has major problems with beer getting too old.

Its such a shame that beers like that are sold to the public. No doubt it gives the whole microbrew/brewpub business a bad name in Australia. There must be hundreds of punters out there who drank at the Macquarie and and vow to stick to their VB 'cos "that microbrewery stuff is awful".
Such a shame!

Berp.

berapnopod said:
Its such a shame that beers like that are sold to the public. No doubt it gives the whole microbrew/brewpub business a bad name in Australia. There must be hundreds of punters out there who drank at the Macquarie and and vow to stick to their VB 'cos "that microbrewery stuff is awful".
Such a shame!
[post="115321"][/post]​

That is definately happening. I'm the keen homebrewer/beer freak in my office and I've taken people from a few different workplaces to the Macca. At first it was quite good. Nothing amazing, but nice drinkable beers. I'm now afraid of the place for the very reason you say. I don't want to put people off the micro scene, as I think there is great potential there over the next decade or so. Bad micros mean a much harder slog for new entrants into the market.

:angry: They were always a bit slack with their approach to the brewery, when the beers were good (ie.Gerard brewed them) you couldn't get anyone in there to serve you a beer..

I still like their Schwarz beer.
Had a few last Tuesday but didn't think they were overly sweet at all.
If anything was thinking it was quite dry and crisp for a dark beer.

Pilsener was alright when they first opened the micro but a couple months ago when I was with a mate who had one, it didn't look or taste like a Pilsener at all.

Never really liked the Pale or Wheat there.
So I stick with the Schwarz and am happy with that.

Plus it was only $2 a schooner between 6 and 8 last Tuesday!!
Will probably try and head down again tomorrow for a few Schwarz and some poker.

Rich

THought I'd give the pilsner another go whilst there on sunday........Bandaids :angry: !

They do have a Hunter Kolsh and an ale from the Lord Nelson on tap too at the moment.

Perhaps they should push the guest beers until they get their own beer sorted out?

I like the idea of brew pubs bringing in the odd guest beer, even regular guest beers, but especially so in the Macquarie's case.

was there yesterday and had a pilsener - was expecting the worst but blow me down if it wasn't clean, perfectly balanced, malty, spicily saazy and bitter and had real czech character! what the hell? how did they go from undrinkable to best pilsener in australia in such a short time?
i bought a 6 pack just to make sure and sank it round the corner with the missus at spice i am (amazing thai food btw) and it stood up to the chilli and fish sauce onslaught admirably.

the bottleo there also has a nice little selection of aussie micros. something is happening there - the new brewer must know what she's doing. i will have to go back and try the other three beers.

Had beers there on Friday, agreed on the Pils, fresh clean and really drinkable.

No wonder Sam is hell bent keeping up with supply and they are putting new tanks in. to cope

Scotty

Might have to add it back to the AHB Sydney crawl this year.......

And blow me down if the missus didnt turn to me the other night and say...AND I QUOTE .." We should have TWO (2) crawls a year" !!!!!!

I had to check, and She was referring to the AHB crawl!!!!

No wheelchairs were mentioned!!

Went there last night and the pilsner was indeed very good. Also had the Barons ESB on tap...had a couple of those also. Seems the Shwartz Beer is a bit tamer than before, a bit less roasty, perhaps someone was trying to cover up some flaws in the past, but its no less enjoyable that any of the other beers on tap there. Definately should go on the crawl list. Was a pretty good band playing also, all round a top night.

Back