Macquarie Hotel Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike & Others
It shits me when someone can't get a beer. You only get one chance to make a first impression, and quite a few people have emailed me to say they couldn't even get a beer.
I am going in to check on the new brews Tues arvo & will pass your comments on to the management & ask for a bit of tap space in the main bar at the same time.
Once again very sorry to all who have gone thirsty so far.
Now how about an AHB city pub crawl before the beautiful Autumn drinking weather leaves us. Suggest a pub, and we can work out a start point and map.
Macquarie would be a good start point as it is so close to the train. I will pour the beers myself to avoid any problems.
Cheers
Gerard

Gerard

Misread your post and thought you said "what about a AHB pub." full stop. Got real exited. HAd vsions of 600 members pooling their resources and buying a small pub somewhere. I think I'm workinmg too hard....... :blink:

Gerard_M said:
Now how about an AHB city pub crawl before the beautiful Autumn drinking weather leaves us. Suggest a pub, and we can work out a start point and map.
Macquarie would be a good start point as it is so close to the train. I will pour the beers myself to avoid any problems.
Cheers
Gerard
[post="49051"][/post]​

Gerard is making an offer i would find hard to resist !
before or after easter ? fri night or sat pm ?
im sure a couple of workmates could be ahb converts after this :)

could i suggest some venues like porterhouse (guiness/bulmers),
head towards Redoak via ???
then maybe Lowenbrau Keller,
the Australian (shaerers/beez neez),
maybe squires on the harbour for an ipa
& perhaps finally Hero Of Waterloo (guiness/bulmers :)

any other cbd or close pubs that serve other than megaswill ?

redbeard

would also have to drop in at the Lord Nelsen for a Nelsons Blood. Your name sake probably drank soem of the real thing in his day - so you'll fit in well ;) .

how could i forget the Lord Nelson ? thanks plastic man. perhaps their was bad blood between nelson & my namesake :p guess i should make amends (again) :beer:

Thanks for the response Gerard, I'm glad i'm not the only one complaining.
Hopefully things will change.
Your response has encouraged me to give it another go.
.....When's this pub crawl then?

Well, I missed Gerard, but I did make it into the Macquarie. As chance has it, my hotel (until i got sick of it and moved to another one) was right across the road from it :)

I won't go into reviews as everyone else has already done it, but i think that the Pale will certainly be a very good beer with a bit dryer finish. And the wheat is a certain to be popular with the crowds nice and refreshing. The beers were served icy cold (a bit too cold) but then, we were the first customers of the day...

It's a fantastic little brewery there too. Could have grabbed a beer and sat looking through the glass for an hour or two :) watching a brewday with a pint or two close to hand would be a fine way to spend an arvo.

Nice work Gerard

The pale is my pick too Boots. SWMBO and I had some time waiting for a late plane on Saturday afternoon and headed back for a couple. Ran into Crusher and Mrs Crusher who we had a couple with. Great setup, but must be a real bugger lugging spent grains back up the stairs :p

You've just got to love the SMH; sending a women to review a brewery pub. She didn't even taste the beer!!!

Hello,
I dont want to sound like a noob here but since I am fairly new to Sydney can some one give me that address to the Hotel. I am always looking for some good microbrews.
Thanks,
Josh

Josh, its on the corner of Wentworth Avenue and Goulburn Street.

Wes

Had another visit to the Macquarie, the Black beer is a nice drop, the Pils was a little dusty. The service still sucked!
James

Jim_Levet said:
Had another visit to the Macquarie, the Black beer is a nice drop, the Pils was a little dusty. The service still sucked!
James
[post="58064"][/post]​

Was chatting to Gerard on Friday.
He was saying that the Swartzbier picked up a silver and the Pils picked up a bronze at the recent beer awards comp in Melbourne.

Beers,
Doc

Gday all
The beers from the Macquarie did very well at the recent beer awards in Melb. I had high hopes for the Wheat, but the keg didn't turn up in Melb!!??
The Schwartz Bier picked up a Gold Medal & Best In Class.
The Pilsner got a Bronze.
I am no longer brewing at the Mac as I have accepted a position as a stay at home Dad for 2 days a week. So far I don't look like picking up any awards in this new position. First day on the job & Kaitlyn didn't get lunch! She didn't starve, I misread the run down sheet for the day. Everybody has a first day at a new job. As long as she keeps putting on weight & growing I should be OK.
Cheers
Gerard

Good luck with the new job Gerard. Been there, done that - 3 days a week in my case. It is tougher than it looks, but wouldn't have missed it. :)

Shawn.

Well I am a huge fan of the Pale Ale, bit sad to hear that Phil (Baldrick) had left as he was always good for a chat. When I asked where he had gone I got a shoulder shrug & was informed Mark the brewer was going too!
When will the Northern Beaches get a brew-pub?
James

i think the bavarian @ Manly wharf is as close as we are going to get Jim. <_<

What happened to Baldrick?

It always amazes me how many people remember my faithful brewing assistant Baldrick.(We called him Baldrick because he wouldn't answer to Sharon,which is a good name for an assistant) He was a physical & mental wreck when I found him, but we took him in, gave him a schooner of Pilsner & couldnt get rid of him. At Paddys, Baldrick was generally found out the back cleaning kegs, milling grain, emptying the mash tun, or scrubbing the cellar floor. He followed me to the Macquarie and worked as a cellarmen/bottleshop attendant & brewery tour guide. Well Phil, which is his real name, has just completed his Chemical Engineering degree at Sydney Uni, & has accepted a position as Assistant Brewer at the Potters Brewery in the Hunter Valley.
Cheers
Gerard

Latest posts

Back