Macquarie Hotel Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No can do.

On doctors advice, I am 2 weeks into a 6 week soberfest
grrrrr

raincheck for me.

heading to the mac on friday for lunch with some workmates

it,s been a long time since i have had a chance to get there i looking forward to it

be cool to see some ahb'ers there

cheer's matho

I work about 50 metres from the Mac, I might pop in and say hello for some of these liasons ;)

Catching a train to arrive in the city about 5pm. Planning on having a few either at the Mac or Taphouse on the way to the SFS.

Thought I'd put this one up again, if anyone wants to meet up this Thursday lunch.

Would love to, but can't today.

How about next Thursday or Friday? I work just down the road.

I can't make this Thurs.
Ill chat to you about a catchup and a beer swap for next week, or the week after.

Well I'm in Sydney for work. Went to macqurie Tried their beers. Schwartz was too roasty and not as clean as it should be for style. Also not enough hop aroma ( it was non existent).

Tried the red ale. diacetyl city. Also far too light in colour. Not carbed enough. Ashame.

Not a promising start to sydney's beers. Off to lord Nelson or harts tomorrow
Night

Well I'm in Sydney for work. Went to macqurie Tried their beers. Schwartz was too roasty and not as clean as it should be for style. Also not enough hop aroma ( it was non existent).

Tried the red ale. diacetyl city. Also far too light in colour. Not carbed enough. Ashame.

Night

Harts is great mate... a pretty regular haunt for me whenever I have the misfortune to be dragged up to Sydney for work :ph34r:

I'll pay them dues as their prices can't be argued. $3.80 a pot.

Wheat was overly sweet. Only had a sip so I can't critique. But initial impression was under attenuated or too much crystal. I should go back and try it properly.

I'll pay them dues as their prices can't be argued. $3.80 a pot.

Wheat was overly sweet. Only had a sip so I can't critique. But initial impression was under attenuated or too much crystal. I should go back and try it properly.

I must say that I had a few beers in the Mac Hotel about 3 years ago and thought it was pretty reasonable at the time - gone off the boil perhaps??

Night

I've been going to the Mac for years and have always found that their beers can be a bit hit and miss. I keep going back for the hits. I've always found the schwartz tastes good - dunno if its to style but I like it anyway. The Wheat can be great, othertimes a bit average. The pilsner and pale ale tend to be very good most of the time. Every time I've tried the bavarian red it has been bloody awful - way too much crystal and sickly sweet.

The best thing is the prices. You'd pay more for a schooner of coopers in any other pub in the city. $3 schooners during happy hour make a cheap night out.

One session does not a precedent make, but I had a few beers there a couple of months back and they weren't _terrible_ but pretty ordinary, not what they once were. The red especially, I left half of it and got a bottle of CPA instead. Such a shame. Bring back Sam!

I might head down there later on this week (I only work a few blocks away) and give it another go.

Latest posts

Back