Low O.G

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAC

Reaction score
Need help, 3rd BIAB. 23lt cube hopped OG1.036.
Just put in fermenter with rehydrated Nottingham.
Last cube OG actually raise 4 points after cubing & thought this would do same(but not )
Is OG to low or should I add some light dry malt ( yeast is already in?)

We need some more information please.

What quantity of malt did you mash, at what temperature, and for how long?
Did you do a sparge rinse after mashing?

What was the temperature of your wort when you measured it?

How do you measure your SG, with an hydrometer or refractometer? Have you calibrated either of those?

The fact your last brew's SG rose 4 points tends to indicate it may be a temperature/measurement issue.

Certainly not an expert but what did you measure the OG with and at what temperature? I can't think of a way that the OG would go up other than the reading changing as the temperature dropped. What was your target OG? If you are fairly close it shouldn't matter too much but if you are worried about the beer being out of balance there should be no dramas throwing some LDME in.

Have only been doing BIAB myself for a few months so there may be some more qualified responses that follow!

[edit you have to be quick around here!]

Not sure what you guys are banging on about. He's not asking why it is low.

DAC, 4 points isn't a lot but your beer isn't very strong to begin with. If you can live with the slightly lower ABV and possibly thinner body then I'd consider leaving it as is - otherwise, feel free to add some extract now (boiled and cooled).

4kg pale malt
250g lt crystal
Mashed @ 66 for 70 min 30 lt
Rinse with 10lt @72'
Pre boil 35 lt
15 of centennial at start
15 of centennial & Czech Saaz in cube
23 lt in cube @ 1.036
3 lt trub loss
Using hydromitor

Fair point bum but but how can you know if the OG is too low without knowing other factors? If the OP was aiming for 1.070 and had bittered accordingly then it would be much more important to add something than if the target was 1.038.

You know what he was aiming for - 4 points higher than was recorded.

That's a fair assumption and looking at my original response I still think it was helpful.

Didn't use any soft ware yet as I'm still get'n a feel for my system. Previous brew's I've always use 4.5 to 5 kg of grain & produced beer up around 1.046.
Thought I go with 4kg to get something around 4% rather than 4.8%.
Any help appreciated .

Thanks Bum your all over it
Just wasn't sure with the amounts of water to boil with ldm and the lag time often pitching??

Latest posts

Back