Low Carb Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGRO

Reaction score
Hay guys, is it possible to brew a low carb beer like pure blond??

Yes - but do you want to?

There are enzyme preparations available both for K&K and mash brewing, these will cut up complex carbohydrates that the yeast can't eat and reduce them to simple sugars that the yeast can eat.

Alcohol is a carbohydrate, so in truth you arent reducing the carbs by much, just moving them from complex to simple.

And ripping the guts out of your beer in the process

There are 4 kits on the market that come with the "Dry Enzyme" under the lid:-
Brewcraft Mexican Cerveza
Black Rock Dry Lager
Black Rock Mexican Lager
Beermakers Lager

These and the enzymes are as usual available from any good HBS

MHB

Is it just me or does drinking Pure Blonde leave you with an empty feeing, like something (obviously the carbs) is missing? I had two bottles the other night and just couldn't go a third as I just didn't give me that satisfied feeling.

the hangover with them i found to be minimal! Dont have that massive, bloated, ive eaten too much feeling. Unless of course you have smoked like a train <_<

If you're worried about the waistline, try a lower alcohol beer. The eneergy content of them is a lot less, as alcohol carries with it 42kJ/g! This compares with roughly 16kJ/g for carbohydrates and 37kJ/gram for fats.

MHB - I believe that Wal's Dry Lager comes with a dry enzyme as well.

If you're worried about the waistline, try a lower alcohol beer. The eneergy content of them is a lot less, as alcohol carries with it 42kJ/g! This compares with roughly 16kJ/g for carbohydrates and 37kJ/gram for fats.

MHB - I believe that Wal's Dry Lager comes with a dry enzyme as well.
how about if you're worried about the waistline, drink less and exercise more! this way you'll still be able to drink nice beer, enjoy it more because you're drinking it less and not suffer the indignity of drinking gay beer B)

hughman666 - very well said! Pretty much what I say to the people in my dorm who whinge about eating so much yet I never see them set foot outside. Might sound harsh, but its about the truest thing ever.

I know its a gay beer, :blink:

But i was just wondering really how they made it if you know what i mean..

But i do excersise and lift weights...... 19 litre kegs into my fridge!!!!

Oh thats easy

Make a grist with the palest malt you can find.
Mash hot
Add 40 % weight of extract or so sugar to the kettle.
Use no hops.

Ferment with a lager yeast

When it's lagered bitter to about 10-12 IBU with Tetra or Hexa ISO Hop

Put it in a sexy bottle, call it premium and shove the price right up.

Or you could make real beer instead.

MHB

Oh thats easy

Mash hot
Use no hops.

MHB

:super:

too true

Its amazing how the power of advertising and certain "key" words that play on peoples conciences will make them pay more for an inferiour product.

Carbs, carbs, carbs............... carbs............... carbs.....................

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

cheers

Oh thats easy

Mash hot
Use no hops.

MHB

too true

Its amazing how the power of advertising and certain "key" words that play on peoples conciences will make them pay more for an inferiour product.

Carbs, carbs, carbs............... carbs............... carbs.....................

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:D

Sorry bigrot I haven't got the answer either.

VB shits on pure blonde and they hang me for that one too/
Disclaimer:
Had 3 schooners of 46 IBU 6.5% not so blonde of my Bunny Hoppy *******... :chug:

Has anyone ever dared fermenting out with Saccharomyces diastaticus instead of Saccharomyces cerevisiae?

Saccharomyces diastaticus will attack all your dextrins not just your simple sugars and I wonder if that would make a super dry beer. I've always been tempted to try...just because.

They say it imparts an unpleasent "spicey" character to your beer

Just another vote for drink less drink better ,

All the assing around to make a dry beer like these, you may as well head out buy a cartoon and save yourself the bother. by the time you take intoaccount the time, energy and storage, as I expect you'll need to lager one for a fair while, probably cheaper too!

Back