Louisiane Brew House

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another vote for the Louisiane as a great spot.
Had a most enjoyable couple of weeks in Vietnam sept 2 years ago, had a brief stop in Nha Trang.
Spent the evening in the Louisiane on arrival, then went back the next afternoon, great beer, good food & the kids loved the pool - something for everyone.
Next time we'll go over the fence onto the beach to try some of the seafood from the mobile vendors too.
Mark

awesome place, suffice to say its 3 hours post my 'tour' and im begining to get the effects fo a hangover. Looks like its going to be a great morning tomorrow. Its like doughing in at home X1000! :p

Hahaa,

Cheers!

Is there any sign of an expat retiree community in Vietnam? I reckon in a few years time it would be an excellent place to settle down in a 'wasting away in Margaritaville' sense? cool.gif

Theres being RETIRED expats in that country for quite some time. quite unsavoury ones though.

I guess they were playing golf in Da nang Fourstar?

Hurry up GB get your deck set up over there! WHOOOOOOOOOOOA! Deck party every year!

I guess they were playing golf in Da nang Fourstar?

There where enough sleazy old men in Bamboo bar 2 to suggest they where not! ;)

I had my brewday at Louisiane today, it was alot of fun! We brewed a Dark lager (It tastes like a lagered porter). I have plenty of pictures from the day and will post when i get to the motherland. 500L batch. Lots of fun!

Doughed in at around 630 AM. Im starting to get a little sleepy. its a double brew brew-day too, so the Brewers are still probably knocking out the next batch! The only difference between what they do and i do is a whole lot of fancy buttons that open/close valves along with a few Digital temp controllers and they use a mash tun as a kettle and transfer the mash to the lauter tun,then sparge back to the kettle/mash tun.

Oh forgot to mention their fly sparging and Steam Exchange heating :p

Cheers!

GOOD STUFF FOURSTAR....SOUNDS LIKE U HAD A GREAT TIME BREWING. I JUST WENT FOR A SHORT SESSION...UNFORTUNATELY NO RED ALE BUT THE CRYSTAL WAS DRINKING WELL (WHAT STYLE IS THIS SUPPOSE TO BE - A PALE ALE?). THE DUNKEL IS SURPRISINGLY VERY NICE, ALTHOUGH I WAS GETTING A FAIR AMOUNT OF VEGEMITE - THOUGH WASN'T ALL BAD (MUST BE AN AUSSIE BREWER!) AFTER MOTOR BIKING THE SOUTH ON RIDICULOUSLY HOT DAYS THE BEERS WENT DOWN A TREAT. APOLOGIES FOR THE CAPS BUT I CAN'T TURN IT OFF...VIETNAM'S A GREAT COUNTRY!!! STILL GOT HOI AN/DANANG/HUE & HANOI TO GO.

Haha funny stuff. look for the rogue (V) in the taskbar. i was hunting around the windows control panel/ keyboard settings to realise there is an app controlling the viet keyboard :p. click it and it will become an (E). it seems like its installed on almost any PC around here!

Anyway, the brewing session was awesome and the brewers are alot of fun. The brewmaster is a sydney sider who works for Lion Nathan and an ex JS Brewhouse employee. He designs all the recipes and the Viet brewers (which he trained up) brew the batches and adjust recipes where necessary.

The Dunkel (not a dunkel, a dark lager) is the beer i brewed, It has pale, choc, light crystal, dark crystal, roast wheat and Cara Vienna. bittered with Pacific Jade and finishing hops @ 15 mins of NZ wilamette. I havnt tasted any vegimite in the dark lager... interesting, ill have another taste tomorrow.

Ahh yes the Crystal Ale is a pale ale style with a whopping 13% JW light crystal. A decent beer they are still toying with to get right. they are throwing around alot of tetrahop when they have to thin it out! haha.

Anyway, off for some evening ales!

Beers!

glad to hear that they take so much care of other brewers...

glad to hear that they take so much care of other brewers...

I think that's an understatement. B)

I might go back for a few this arvo and say my goodbyes. i was invited to help them filter a batch t the serving tanks for today but after the 6 am start yesterday i was not remotely interested in an 8 am start to turn bright beer into 'brighter' beer (and thin down the ABV with a tetra hop addition). Nor was i interested in 'tasting' the beer for correct bitterness at 9AM either! hahaha!

I might go back for a few this arvo and say my goodbyes. i was invited to help them filter a batch t the serving tanks for today but after the 6 am start yesterday i was not remotely interested in an 8 am start to turn bright beer into 'brighter' beer (and thin down the ABV with a tetra hop addition). Nor was i interested in 'tasting' the beer for correct bitterness at 9AM either! hahaha!
Come on, its all part of being a brewer ! Not so romantic hey? :p
GB

HTFU.
You're doing a damm good PR job BTW, let me see... webjet where are you?

Come on, its all part of being a brewer ! Not so romantic hey? :p
HTFU. You're doing a damm good PR job BTW, let me see... webjet where are you?

Ha, yeah i think it would be quite romantic if i was getting paid todo it fellas! I work harder on my own brewdays (physically) than what these blokes would in a week of batches! The hardest thing they do is carry 20kg~ of milled grain up 6 steps to dough in, in addition to doing it in 30-35 deg heat @ 60% humidity standing over 570L of boiling wort! :p

About to cruise back around now for a few pre flight ales. i have 6 hours to kill. Pilsner, Witbier and Crystal Ale here i come!

Thread Hijack
Winkle I note that the malts all (logistically sensible arrangement) seem to come from Australia.
Any idea where the Philippines get their malts from (San Mig etc) and if there are any micros in PI ? Although they are a poor country so is Vietnam and beer is popular and tourism very active as well.

Thread Hijack
Winkle I note that the malts all (logistically sensible arrangement) seem to come from Australia.
Any idea where the Philippines get their malts from (San Mig etc) and if there are any micros in PI ? Although they are a poor country so is Vietnam and beer is popular and tourism very active as well.

:icon_offtopic: Manila has a chain of brewpubs, there's one in the reclaimation area - not bad weizen so I hear. Dunno where the malt comes from though. I was considering the possibility of one in Cebu with a few partners but that seems to have fallen through :( .

Thread Hijack

At Louisiane Brewhouse the malts come from Aus (Joe White) and Castle Maltings (I saw 1 sack of Cara Vienne, its from Belgium, i believe). Hops are all New Zealand. I havn't seen any aussie hops here.

Digging up this thread cos I'm off to Vietnam tomorrow night and willbe staying not far from the brewery when in nha trang towards the end of next week. As luck would have it a brewer mate of mine from white rabbit will also be there around the same time. Looking forward to a few brews whilst the kids play in the pool and the wife gets some sun!

Have fun, Vietnam is a great country. My favourite place in the world.

Suck back a few of their Pils for me and try and get a sneaky taste of the witbier in the bright tank before it gets filtered. :icon_drool2:

Suck back a few of their Pils for me and try and get a sneaky taste of the witbier in the bright tank before it gets filtered. :icon_drool2:

Thanks for all the great feedback guys - I've just stumbled across this - and am glad that others have enjoyed the beers, and enjoyed the hospitality.
:icon_chickcheers:

t was certainly one of the most fun projects that I've done - and rewarding, to take two Vietnamese guys who knew absolutely nothing about brewing and give them much more opportunity (and better salary :icon_cheers: ). Its also good to have a permanent holiday every year, and go back and brew some beer and lie on the beach amongst all the skin!

@Fourstar - Nice work on the recipes and profiles, you pretty much nailed them mate.

To the guys heading over..., have fun at Louisiane, and say hi to Hoang and Hai my brewers...., they're always keen to talk to people who understand what they've learned.

Cheers and beers,
Sean

Didn't get to Nha Trang. So im sitting beside the hotel pool in Hue instead. Couldn't get flights on the day(s) required. Ahh, well. Another time maybe.

Didn't get to Nha Trang. So im sitting beside the hotel pool in Hue instead. Couldn't get flights on the day(s) required. Ahh, well. Another time maybe.

Tough luck...., yep flying is the only way to do it..., DO NOT get on a bus....! :beerbang:

Rumor has it that the next IBD conference is in HCMC..., so look out 2014, I'll be taking a delegation up to NT on a tax deductible brewery tour...!

Happy travels.

Back