Lots of Questions!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lady M

Reaction score
I have just recently discovered beer after a lifelong love affair with all things wine, and was given a brewing kit. The beer I discovered was Millers Chill with Lime, is there anything I can make that's similar to this? Also have been reading up on washing & sanitising, what is the best thing to wash the bottles in & what should I use as a sanitiser? Thanks everyone, want my first batch to be a beaut!!

For cleaning, many of us use Sodium Percabonate or UN scented napisan, for sanitisation the weapon of choice is starsan, mixed at 1.5ml per L it's very cheap and effective.

Good luck with the new (and better) side of the brewing hobby ;)

Hi Lady M,

Welcome to the brewing world. As much as it aches me to see your after a Miller Chill beer clone, here is some info.Truth is, its not and easy style to make and you have to start somewhere so I have attached a recipe below, its all grain so if your extract you will have to convert it.

I recently listened to a podcast from the brewing network and they had Annie Johsnon on air, she won the 2013 Amercian Home brewers award and the recipe is hers. AJ says at the bottom of the recipe that to get a miller style, to use flaked maize instead of the flaked rice.

AJ's Recipe

Mow the GD Lawn

Lite American Lager

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

01-A Light Lager, Lite American Lager

Min OG: 1.030 Max OG: 1.040
Min IBU: 8 Max IBU: 12
Min Clr: 2 Max Clr: 3 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 7.50
Anticipated OG: 1.038 Plato: 9.49
Anticipated SRM: 2.4
Anticipated IBU: 9.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
26.7 2.00 lbs. Flaked Rice 1.040 1
73.3 5.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Hallertauer Pellet 4.00 9.0 60 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.00 Oz Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

Fermentis W 34/70

Water Profile
-------------

Profile: Pilsen
Profile known for: Pale, Dry, Hoppy Lager

Calcium(Ca): 7.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 3.0 ppm
Sodium(Na): 3.2 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 5.8 ppm
Chloride(Cl): 5.0 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3): 9.0 ppm

pH: 8.16

Mash Schedule
-------------

Acid Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Protein Rest Temp : 122 Time: 15
Intermediate Rest Temp : 140 Time: 5
Saccharification Rest Temp : 145 Time: 120
Mash-out Rest Temp : 158 Time: 12
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 30

Notes
-----

You want a fairly soft water so use Calcium Chloride.

If you shut the mash off at 140F it should rise to 145F naturally. You don't have to mash out beyond the 158F but feel free.

The key is making a true light beer, not a small beer. Feel free to use a different hop for bittering and flaked maize works, too.
Maize = Miller Lite
Rice = Coors Light

OMG Pratty1!! I'm used to 1 cup of this & 2 tablespoons of that & put into moderate oven for 20 mins!! I have NO idea what you just said !!! Lol!!!

Hi Lady M,

Have you only made the beer that came with the kit so far? How did it go? What was the kit? What steps did you do? You bottled it? How did they turn out?

If you let everyone know what stage of brewing you are up to, others on the forum will have a better idea of suggestions to make for you.

You can get your sterilizers and bottle wash's etc from a local home brew store. Is there one near you? If not you can order heaps of stuff online. There will be someone in your area. Its also good to browse around in a LHBS and check out all the tin kits and extra hops and stuff you can add too.

Cheers
Matty

Hi PP,
I have just been given a kit & Yob told me how to clean & sterilise it, so I'm onto the next step of what to brew.
I have never brewed before so have no idea but am keen to learn. I thought there may be a coopers tin of something that was like Millers light tasting as my pallet is very uneducated. I will start with that and if I'm successful, may try other things.

Your best bet for a starter brew would be a tin of Coopers Canadian Blonde and half a box of their "Brew Enhancer 2". Follow the kit instructions but try to keep the brew below 20 degrees (If you are currently anywhere to the North of Sydney).
For the lime, I'd probably add that at drinking stage, maybe just a dash of yellow lime cordial if you have ever had a "radler" type beer, or otherwise just a wedge in the glass.

Good that you are thinking sanitation. If you can't get your hands on starsan yet, a good standby method is dilute supermarket household bleach, but rinse it off very well.

If its your first go, just grab a 'Boxed set' brew from your LHBS (they are pretty helpful with suggestions too) of something that takes your fancy, Blonde, Cerveza and follow the instructions as Bribie G says. I used to sit my fermentor in the pantry in the dark where it stayed at about 18-19 degrees.

As Bribie said, dash of lime cordial or wedge once poured.

Once you've done that you'll have a lot more questions!!!

Cheers
Matty.

Hi Lady M,

Welcome to the journey of brewing beer, a fulfilling obsession hobby, well be prepared it can easily turn into an obsession :ph34r: . Just wondering if you made your own wine or just enjoyed drinking it? If so you should already have some knowledge of fermentation but generally you need to up the sanitation and hygiene.
The lighter styles are harder to brew due to the fact there isn't as many powerful malt or hop flavours that can mask any flaws.
But you will be right just keep a good eye on fermentation. Make sure you use the hydrometer and take gravity readings at the start of the brew and during fermentation. When the hydrometer gives the same reading 3 to 4 days in a row give the beer about another week to help clean (the yeast break down some of the flavours produced during ferment that you don't want) and then you should be right to bottle.
Definitely go with adding the lime flavour when drinking as the problem with putting lime in the ferment is the lime ferments and gives a fermented lime taste rather than the fresh lime flavour your after.
Star San is awesome as unlike some other sanitizers it is a no rinse which means you mix it up splash it around, tip it out and that's it. Bleach needs to be rinsed really well with hot water to make sure there is no residual bleach left as it can be changed into medicinal flavours in the beer. Most home brew shops should sell it or you can easily buy it online, it is actually phosphoric acid and like yob said very cheap as it last ages. just be careful not to leave it on bench tops etc. as it has been known to bleach benches.
Anyway good luck have fun and enjoy the beer :chug:

Bribie this sounds perfect and for my
first attempt I will try the Blonde, thank you!! Will implement your suggestions too, it is great tapping into your experience thanks!! :)

Thanks Matty, I'm in Far North Qld so may need the aid of aircon! May ask hubby to make me a root cellar....may end up being an expensive brew!

Hey Chug,
No I have never brewed anything, but I do make cheese, lots of sanitising & temp control with that.
My dad used to make his own brew & I have always wanted to have a go but never liked beer till now!! I'm converted!! Dad made it look so easy, he'd go into his shed & come out with a brew on the go.
I will add the lime at the end as advised, all I need to do now is find the Canadian stuff!! I live in a small country town way up nth Qld so access to brewing gear is limited to Woolies.
Thanks for the encouraging post, very much appreciated.

They often have a free shipping promotional thing which may be of help to you if you are going the coopers cams.

Cheers

main reasons?

Reason 1 - There are (was?) a bunch of fuckwit trolls there (also a raft of good people) and I told them exactly what I thought of them one night with a few too many under my belt.. didnt hold much back at all...

Reason 2 - I became a Retailer and it's apparently policy to not allow Retailers on the forum.

Reason 3 - The Moderator and I didn't really see eye to eye, I questioned and disagreed with him at length on some pretty shoddy practices, like using dextrose to culture yeast... which is STILL on their website... BAH!!

Reason 4 - The technical knowledge there at the time was mostly pretty poor (with the exception of a few of the long term members) so I ended up spending a lot of time providing links to where the issues had been discussed in great detail previously.

Reason 5 - Their search function is shit, leading to Reason 4

Reason 6 - Time

:ph34r: :lol: ;) ;)

Latest posts

Back