Lost what to do now

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyh77

Reaction score
So finally back after 3 weeks overseas and time to put a brew on.
Just before I left I got my BB delivery and have the following:
Maris Otter
Vienna
Wheat
Red X

I also have some cascade flowers, Challenger, Chinook, Cluster, Falconers Flight, POR, Tettnang, Waimea and Wakatu in varying qty.

I have to buy some yeast, so after an idea to use the Red X with. Was thinking with MO, but unsure of hops with that, or yeast.

Can someone shed some light on what is suitable. After an easy drinking PA, but also do like a wheat beer (so does SWMBO).

Cheers

So I am going to go with this for the grain bill
3.5kg Red X
1.2kg MO (That's what was left over after pouring it into my container, can add more if I need)
800g Wheat
Might try MJ42 as yeast
Thoughts?

Now I'm unsure of what hop to use. Would Tettnang be any good or go with Waimea?

Will be using a Robobrew so making a 23L batch and limited on grain size.

Any thoughts please

POR for bittering and wakatu for aroma and flavour

I'd go a red x / falconers flight smash.

Technically not a smash as they are both blends.

5kg Red X

10g FF FWH
20g FF 15mins
20g FF 5mins

50g FF 5 day dry hop

~5% AB
~30 IBU

To me Red X comes across with a health dose of dark roasted malts and is slightly acrid. I'd go with a kg of Red X , the wheat and the rest
MO. Bitter to 25 ibu, with half coming from cascade at 5 min or less. Dry hop with 40g of Falconers Flight.
Tettnang and Waimia are probably a bit mild and would go better in a pale style lager.
M42 is a great general purpose yeast and my go to when making Pale Ales these days.

I to would be a bit cautious using 100% RedX, bit like using all dark Munich, likely to finish pretty heavy.
If you have a read of the typical analysis it says it can be used at 100% up to 12oP (1.048), I think a good starting point would look for a good Munich Dark recipe and sub the Munich 2 with RedX.
Mark

Typical Analysis http://www.bestmalz.de/en/malts/best-red-x/
Worth having a look at their Munich 2 Spec
Typical Analysis http://www.bestmalz.de/en/malts/best-munich-dark/

Me, I'd go with 60% Vienna, 40% Red X and see what happens. Chinook for bittering to 20 IBU's and FF/POR all late addition for another 20 IBU's.

Just goes to show 'ya, there's good advice and there's good advice. And then there's personal preference, which fucks it all up.

Latest posts

Back