Lost My Hop Flavour/aroma

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Housecat

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have just successfully (or so I thought) made Cracka Fat Pale Ale. It is my first go at this type of recipe and as such, I followed it as closely as I could with the exception of dry hopping at day 4 with 10g of Cascade and 10g of Nelson Sauvin.

After fermenting for 11 days, I crash chilled it for 24 hours and then kegged it on Friday, force carbed it and was drinking it on Friday arvo/night. This is the only beer I drank all night.

Tasting notes of it were that it was very full of hop flavour and aroma namely the NS. However it had a bit of a soft drink feel (probably from the force carb) and seemed a bit thin. However, I was very happy and labeled it my best beer yet.

Now it is Sunday and I have just poured off a couple of glasses to boast about my beer to my Dad and I have been met with this watery bland ghost of what was! If I didn't know better I'd say it was a different beer!

I have two taps and the one that I was serving it through did have ginger beer in it so to count that out, I changed taps however, aside from there now being no ginger taste, it didn't fix it (the ginger taste was only there for the first pour anyway)

Also, I have my fridge set at 4C and CC'd at 2C. FG was 1.012

What did/n't I do and how can I rectify it?
Where did my Precious go?

Thanks for sitting through War and Peace

HC :icon_cheers:

did you vent of co2 after foce carbing? ive had nicely hopped beers that after of gasing lost a lot of aroma and flavour. now i force carb most of the way and leave it on the gas for a day or two so i can avoid any over carbing or needing to vent at all.

did you vent of co2 after force carbing?

No, besides purging the keg, I didn't vent after.
I force carb using the slipper method which basically like the Ross Method but done at serving pressure. Takes longer but helps prevent over carbing.

Hey Housecat,

How much water did you start with? Maybe your SG was a bit low? I say this as I have recently made a two xmas swiller batches but put 23 litres in instead of the recommended 22 from the kit. Now I havent followed kit instructions for years but should have in this case as they seem very thin and watery as you have described. The flavour is very fine and I have read that even a small amount of extra water when you start (a few litres) can cause this. I think this is what I did. As to how to fix it - Ice beers I believe are frozen somewhere in the manufacturing process which concentrates flavour. I could be wrong and stand corrected if this is the case but if anybody can shed light on this, you might have a way to improve it.

I brewed to just under 21L as I keg and don't like the waste. The SG was 1.052 so IMO not too far off the expected SG.

Only thing I can think of is that it is warmer in my beer fridge now (4C) than when I first put it in (2C) and that could be why I have lost some aroma. But I thought it was the other way around!

HC

Back