Losing Hop Flavour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmmyummybeer

Reaction score
Hi just wondering if anyone else has experienced issues of losing hop flavour and aroma when putting beer in bottles that have been allowed to warm up and then rechilled.

I have noticed that once my beer has been bottled and has warmed up, it loses hops when it rechilled. My once nicely hoppy beer ends up substancially lacking in hops and tasting a lot different to the beer that went in the bottle. I added more hops to my recipee but still having issues am thinking about doing some serious dry hopping to compensate but not too sure how much.

Wondering if anyone has any thought or answers on the following;
Will dry hopping help?
Whats are the consequence if its overdone?
Can you do anything to help preserve hop stability?

Cheers

G'Day mate,

Unfortunately loss of hop flavour and aroma in an ageing beer is par for the course. Dry hopping wont help the loss factor, just start from a stronger aroma in the first place so I guess it will take longer to completely fade.

You could try keeping the bottles cold post carbonation to reduce the rate of any reactions going on that contribute to the flavour/aroma loss. Also, what are you bottling in and how are you bottling?

How old are the beers? I have had beer that have had a percieved loss of 50% hop character in a couple of months in the bottle. Perhaps if the beer is not high in alc and doesn't need ageing then drink it young and enjoy the hops at their peak.

Thats all I have for the moment but there will be a few other ideas no doubt.

Best of luck.

I don't clean my bottles on brew day, so the bottles are always at room temp. It makes for a more relaxed brew day and you don't lose any hop aroma staight off the bat.

I knew I did it for more than one reason ;)

Hi just wondering if anyone else has experienced issues of losing hop flavour and aroma when putting beer in bottles that have been allowed to warm up and then rechilled.

I have noticed that once my beer has been bottled and has warmed up, it loses hops when it rechilled. My once nicely hoppy beer ends up substancially lacking in hops and tasting a lot different to the beer that went in the bottle. I added more hops to my recipee but still having issues am thinking about doing some serious dry hopping to compensate but not too sure how much.

Wondering if anyone has any thought or answers on the following;
Will dry hopping help?
Whats are the consequence if its overdone?
Can you do anything to help preserve hop stability?

Cheers

As suggested hop bitterness mellows over time and hop flavour and aroma can integrate or dissipate.

However chilling anything too low will have a massive impact on flavour. I know you are possibly conditioned to 'enjoy a cold one' but try one at around 10-12 degrees (shed temp in Melbourne at the moment so easy for me) and see if it has a bit more oomph.

Latest posts

Back