Looking Into Starting All Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake.v

Reaction score
Hey all im start to get all the gear needed to start AG brewing just got a few questions

whats the differece between chill method and no chill method? apart from the obviouse
Whats the best temps for mashing?
Is it better to crush your own grain or get the HBS to do it?

cheers jake

whats the differece between chill method and no chill method? apart from the obviouse

1.) Time and the cost of getting a fast chilling apparatus.

2.) Mash temps control the body and the alcohol of a beer. More body = less alcohol. More temp = more body.

3.) If you want to buy bulk, and brew beer with freshly milled grain, do your own.

All these questions have been answered a million times already on the internest - search and you will get grainy brainy. Ask and you will get frustrated.

1. Main differences: Time, equipment, water usage and hop utilisation.

These questions sound simple but the answers are detailed. Look for the no-chill article in the wiki section.

2. Best temps depend entirely on what you aim to achieve with the wort/ferment. Roughly between 60 and 70 are mash (saccharification) temps with low 60s giving a more fermentable wort and high 60s giving a less fermentable wort.

You can utilise step mashes which will encourage enzymes from both ends of the spectrum as well as work in steps which activate other enzymes for different purposes. Until you understand the theory, maybe best to mash in the mid 60s - say between 64 and 66.

3. Best depends on many things. LHBS is convenient and means you don't need your own mill. Crushing yourself is convenient in a different way - if you have a mill and haven't planned ahead with your ordering, you can brew on a whim. Also you can set your own crush (and subsequently are responsible for any stuff ups in crushing).

Hey all im start to get all the gear needed to start AG brewing just got a few questions

cheers jake

Some pretty wild question Jake, Simple answer = read more! But to get you started:
(1) Running the hot wort through a chiller lets you start brewing quicker. No chill is cheaper (as you don't need a chiller) and maybe easier but takes longer. No chill is good if you want to do a double batch, brew some soon and some later. The later batch is very easy because it is almost ready to go - tip in fermenter and add yeast. You may loose hop a bit of aroma and maybe flavour in the no chill process (but you can get around it). Chillers CAN use a heck of a lot of water. There are pros and cons for each process.
(2) I think the others covered that answer much better than I could.
(3) Bought crushed grain = $4.50 - $5.50 per Kg. Buy in bulk and crush yourself = $2 per kilo. 5kg of HBS grain = $25 for a brew, 5kg of bulk grain milled yourself = $10. BUT do you really want to buy 25kg of a specialty malt that you only use 200g of in each brew sometimes? You will want more than one type of grain - you want to buy 150 kg of grain?
Do you have the space to store grain? (25kg grain [a standard 'sack] of grain will occupy about 45 Litres of space).

cheers guys i think im fairly up to speed with the idea of it now which isnt that hard once you look into it

cheers jake

im not one for reading must be ADD or something :blink:, this is a good start and where i first started...

Watch all of them i watched them a few times over..

Last edited by a moderator:
I have watched that a few times, I really liked it and it makes the AG process look kinda easy, its like being at somebodys hose for a AG brew day and will show you his process for making AG...

After watching that if your looking for some LIGHT reading try John Palmer's book... Great book and i plan to buy the hard copy of the new edition just need to find it and find it for a ok price...

Jake.v - I say go for it. Yes, it won't be the best beer the first time, but unless you are majorly off your target temperatures, and say you forgot to stir altogether, then you will definitely have beer, and it won't taste of extract. Doing it yourself will teach you how easy it really is, and you will learn a great deal. Start early and factor in some extra time, and don't get too pissed, if at all - save that for mid-cleaning, which is not worth remembering.

I suggest go no-chill untill you get a chiller, and get grain crushed from HBS until you get a mill. Try to do whatever you can with existing equipment before going out and purchasing large expensive items until you know that it is exactly what you are after, your ideas will probably change a couple of times.

I have watched that a few times, I really liked it and it makes the AG process look kinda easy, its like being at somebodys hose for a AG brew day and will show you his process for making AG...

After watching that if your looking for some LIGHT reading try John Palmer's book... Great book and i plan to buy the hard copy of the new edition just need to find it and find it for a ok price...
Hey punkal try www.bookdepository.co.uk i got Palmers book for under $40 delivered within a week,they also have tons of other brewing books too :icon_chickcheers:
cheers humulus

try fishpond.com.au thats where i got mine from

great prices on the books and free shipping!!!

just if you buy multiple books expect them to come separately and not at the same time :p

I'm waiting on these 3 from amazon now. $56 for the lot. Can't beat that for value.
51F8BXXGDSL._SY100_.jpg
Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles Ray DanielsSold by: Amazon.com, LLC <LI class="item "> Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation (Brewing Elements Series) Jamil Zainasheff, Chris WhiteSold by: Amazon.com, LLC <LI class="item "> How to Brew: Everything You Need To Know To Brew Beer Right The First Time John J. PalmerSold by: Amazon.com, LLC

Last edited by a moderator:
A purchase you will not regret Paxxy

Try to do whatever you can with existing equipment before going out and purchasing large expensive items until you know that it is exactly what you are after, your ideas will probably change a couple of times.

Couldn't agree more with this. My set-up has changed so many times that I've now got more equipment than a kitchen supplies shop. All of the bits have been given their own roles and duties but I really could make the same beer with half the gear. My advice would be to start out with the stove-top method first (great thread on it somewhere here) then decide what gear you'll need/want in your finished brew rig.

Have a read through this thread on getting started in all grain for 30 bucks. Chances are you have most of what you need already and everything else can be purchased for a minimal outlay.
Getting your grain crushed by your home brew store is the best option to start with, then as you scale up you can look into bulk grain & mills etc. I fermented my first few half size batches made with this method in a 15L cube I had lying around from a fresh wort kit which was just the right size. I no-chilled in the pot as per the thread.
Give it a crack, you will be suppressed how easy it is. My brewing experience before moving to all grain consisted of 2 fresh wort kits & that was it. No kit & kilo or extract brewing. If you can read and follow simple instructions you can all grain brew
Paul

. No kit & kilo or extract brewing. If you can read and follow simple instructions you can all grain brew
Paul
Whilst this is true , I can't help but feel that these type of brewing practices give you an "apprenticeship" in brewing and make you accountable for good brewing practices and sterilization practices. IMHO , this is really important to make good and consistent beers and more importantly , not discourage you when things don't go to Plan...
Nevertheless , good luck !
Cheers
Ferg

people have to remember the start up cost also..it's ok to say you can go All Grain for $30 but you need the other resources..to commence with...

Assuming the brewer is currently making K&K beer - if you've already got a 15-19L stock pot, the $30 includes even the grain and hops.

A thermometer and some Swiss voile is all you need.

people have to remember the start up cost also..it's ok to say you can go All Grain for $30 but you need the other resources..to commence with...

Fair assumption that most persons have a lot of the equipment in that thread.

Even if not, it allows anyone who wants to AG to test it out, get their processes downpat before committing to larger amounts of expensive equipment. And some never move on. Other than my esky mash tun, to do full size batches, I'm still doing the same thing. And putting into practice the theory allows the theory to embed in your head, and thus is easier to build further theory thereupon.

And you get an idea of what equipment is good, useless or nice, but not necessary. I'd be far better building (or buying) a 3V system, 2V system or anything in between, now I know what goes into AG, than I would going at it from no practical knowledge.

Goomba

Would recomend you invest in a mash tun, easiest piece of brew kit to make and if you have a spare esky around the place or can get your hands on a second hand one then all up it'll cost you about an hour of time and $20-30, or so, of materials. I recomend strarting with the SS braid as a "starting up" manifold and if you feel the need to graduate towards a false bottom or copper manifold it's an easy job. There's a good youtube video of a bloke talking through how to make one and if you spend a little biy of time at your local bunnings or simmilar then you'll find all the parts cheap as.

Good Luck

Aaron

yeah i got acess to abit of gear but ill slowly build up to a 3v system

cheers jake

Back