Looking for some input on a session ale/mid strength

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fendercaster

Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking at putting down a a session ale. I am extract and looking at using specialty grains to help with the body. My recipe is as follows.

Thomas Cooper pale ale can (1.7kg?)
750g of LDME
200g Crystal grain steeped
100g amber grain steeped
50g of fuggles for 60min
50g cascade at flame out
Safale a-04 yeast.

I am aiming for a mid strength ale. Around the 4% mark. Hoping the grains will help with body and color. Hop profile im looking for is a nice even bitterness but a really nice floral citrus nose.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers

Benn said:
Hi FC,
Have you had a fiddle with the brewers friend? http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator/
I've recently started fiddling with the brewers friend :icon_cheers:
Hey Benn,
No I have not, i have only really ventured back into brewing again, bottles turned me off but now i have kegs, yay. I am currently having a go playing around with that. I tried IanH spreadsheet but i have google sheet not, excel and finding it difficult to use. but i am on Brewersfriend now. Ill see how i go, cheers. :beerbang:

Looks like the recipe would do the job although I'd sub out the S04 for Nottingham.
You dont mention what sort of crystal and it will depend on how dark you want it but I would go some Crystal 5 (carafoam) for the body and then something darker like caramunich 2 (crystal 120) for extra colour and caramel flavours. Amber is a base malt so really needs a full mash- I would drop it and use the crystal120.
150g of each would do in a 23L batch.

Droopy Brew said:
Looks like the recipe would do the job although I'd sub out the S04 for Nottingham.
You dont mention what sort of crystal and it will depend on how dark you want it but I would go some Crystal 5 (carafoam) for the body and then something darker like caramunich 2 (crystal 120) for extra colour and caramel flavours. Amber is a base malt so really needs a full mash- I would drop it and use the crystal120.
150g of each would do in a 23L batch.
OK, i got the amber infusion pack from my LHBS. link (http://www.thebrewshop.com.au/beer-making/grain/grain-infusion-packs) apparently its for steeping.
As for the crystal grain, receipt says Joe White crystal which is about 115-140EBC.
Please forgive the lack of knowledge on it as i am only starting out with infusion, the process seems straightforward, what to use is another matter.
I may just be winging it on this one, what sort of ratio should i be looking at with my hops. put in my lot and its around the .50 mark atm

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1452675185.011164.jpg

OP did state he wanted floral, east Kent goldings is considered a floral hop aroma.
I'd be using a bit of carapils if your after a bit of body in your mid. Can be steeped

Not sure I'd use fuggles (earthy, woody) and cascade (grapefruit & floral) together. EKG (orange citrus, spice and floral) works well as a bittering hop for US C hops (IMO) and might get you closer to your aim. Just my 2c, ymmv.

Fuggles plays well with galaxy so I reckon it would be good with cascade. At a 60 minute boil you won't get any flavour from it anyway. I would do a 30 minute boil (max) with the fuggles. I reckon it would be tasty.

Edit:

I wouldn't go 50g though. More like 20. You're getting bitterness from the tin.

Latest posts

Back