First extract brew - hoppy amber

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akx

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I posted on the Aldi finds forum - our Woolies had the Thomas Coopers tins on clearance for $3 so I loaded up. I brewed all grain batches before so this was new for me.
ehPOGsd.jpg

Going for a hoppy amber.
Thomas Coopers family secret amber ale
1 kg LME
150g Crystal Malt 145 ebc
Safale S-04

Steeped grains for 30 minutes at 70.5°C in my sweet stainless insulated french press (just right for 800ml water and grains).
ohddMgk.jpg

Poured into fermenter along with tin, LME and cold tap water. Realised I didn't have a way of measuring volume so guesstimated 23 litres. Sprinkled yeast on top.

8I5X6ws.jpg

I took a reading of 1.051 but I think I did a pretty poor job of mixing everything together, so not totally sure how accurate that is. Currently at 20°C so we'll see how it goes over the next day or two.

Will dry hop with 50g cascade or maybe even 100g in a few days.

I picked up six of the 'Brew A - IPA's at my woolies a fortnight ago for $9.20 each (normally $23.49) . The IPA's were the only ones left so took what there was.
I kinda envy you for only paying $3 lol

I hope you boiled the steeped grain liquor before you chucked it in.

I would lean towards 100g dry hop of cascade. I don’t seem to get a lot out of 50grams of dry hop Cascade.

I hope you boiled the steeped grain liquor before you chucked it in.

I would lean towards 100g dry hop of cascade. I don’t seem to get a lot out of 50grams of dry hop Cascade.

Thanks Stewie - just chucked it in... Was thinking I boil during AG batches because of bittering hops, but as I write this, that sound wrong. Hmm.

Need to boil the liquor after steeping to kill any bacteria that may be in the grain.
Let's hope you get away with it on this occasion!

I saw 2 more a couple day ago on the clearance rack for $3 again. Bonus! Best before is June 2018.

Latest posts

Back