Looking for K&K or Partial Saison Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Browne

Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone have a good K&K or Partial Mash Saison recipe?
I've had a good search but no luck.

Cheers Matt

Coopers has a saison as recipe of the month atm. I was also thinking of trying a coopers cerveza or maybe APA can with a kilo of ldm 200g dextrose and a short boil of saaz with belle saison yeast.

You could make an historical low abv style saison with 3kg and make it totally AG if you want.

Main reason I ask though is not to cry 'go AG I am an evangelist" - it is to work out from a recipe I use how to translate into partial.

Next question is what gravity/abv do you want and what rough mash efficiency might you expect?

I promise a suggested recipe will follow those answers. If you're unsure of mash efficiency, don't worry. I will give you one for 70% and you can adjust either recipe in software or add dme/water if way off base in the actual mash.

I thought I would add to this thread with a bit of anecdotal advice...

Being rushed for time and having space for six 19L kegs in my keezer, I decided to smash out a saison using my preferred yeast wy3711. I was riffing on an idea that another BAR member always brings up - he doesn't like saisons because there is a tartness and certain flavours that remind him of his days brewing terrible kit beers at horrid temperatures etc....

so I thinks to myself, "I see what he means...can this be exploited/manipulated?".

so, for a 20L batch I used a can of coopers pale ale, 2kgs of JW Pils, 1 kg of rye and 500gms of wheat. Crushed it all, mashed it on the stove for around 45 minutes at about 65C (you can give or take)...pitched wy3711 (starters be damned!*), let it get to 25c and kept it there... Now drinking a not half bad gully washer that will be enjoyed heartily once the weather warms up a touch.

Good brewing to you all!

*I don't bother with starters for this yeast if the OG is 1.055ish or under and the pack is within cooee of it's manufacture date.

I've laid down a partial last weekend, will test SG and taste tomorrow.
I tried to mod a recipe from the spring homebrewer magazine
Thomas Coopers Pilsner can
3.2 kg Joe White Pilsner
25g EKG @ 10 mins
25g Styrian @ 1 min
Wyeast 3726PC
Fermented at 23oC

I hope its a good one.

Mangrove Jack's Belgian Ale Kit
1kg light dry malt
Styrian Goldings 25g 5 minute boil

Belle Saison yeast

Quick, simple, cheap and tastes pretty good. Was a hit last summer

Martin

HBHB said:
Mangrove Jack's Belgian Ale Kit
1kg light dry malt
Styrian Goldings 25g 5 minute boil

Belle Saison yeast

Quick, simple, cheap and tastes pretty good. Was a hit last summer

Martin
Hey Martin
I have been meaning to try that kit for a fair while now. I might give your recipe a go when mine's done, re-pitching the 3726.

Rod's Simple Saison
Batch Size (L): 25
Grain Bill
2.400 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light (77.17%)
0.550 kg Wheat Malt (17.68%)
0.160 kg Dextrose (5.14%)
Hop Bill
60g Saaz pellet (3.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (2.4 g/L)
20g Saaz pellet (3.6% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)
20g Saaz pellet (3.6% Alpha) @ 0 minutes (Dry Hop) (0.8 g/L)
Notes
add 12 litres water to pot
add 1200g dried light malt extract
add 550 g dried wheat extract
bring to boil set timer to 60 min
add 60g saaz
add 20g saaz at 30 minutes
add 20g saaz at flame out
and 1200g dried light malt extract
and 160g dextrose
ferment with Danstar Belle Saison

Latest posts