Looking For Great Head From A Belgian

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderchild

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have made a great tasting belgian but the head is a little poor. Any ideas or tips on things to try to improve in this area?

Pocket sparkler?

Brew the next version with some wheat maybe.

mmmmuuussst nnnnooootttt mmmmaaaakkeee ssssseeeexxxuuuualll iiiinnnyyyyoooouuuurrreeeennnndddooo

Hi All,

I have made a great tasting belgian but the head is a little poor. Any ideas or tips on things to try to improve in this area?
Is this a 500L batch?
What do the big boys do???? Add some kind of dextrin product???
No they probably do another batch, overcompensate and blend.
Do you still have access to the yeast?
You could do a 10% of the grain bill wheat only mash (probably need a short protein rest so you don't have sparging problems), boil with enough bittering hops to give you the same IBU's as original beer, then ferment with your yeast and Blend the beers...

Edit: Enzymes some extra ones might help...Try Barley 20% + Wheat 80% (which will be 2% + 8% of your original grist)

Just a thought anyway......

If this is a homebrew, put it down to experience and add wheat or carapils or both next batch up to 10%.

Good luck and let us know what happens and how you go.

PB

I believe Duvel use wheat malt and that gives the creamiest, meringuiest head imaginable.

Chimay use some kind of wheat product - whether it's wheat malt or wheat starch or something else is unclear (rumour mill and translation make it confusing).

Otherwise just ask Bernard.

Sorry MXD.

duvel use only pilsener malt and sugar as fermentables i thought?

i have made heaps of belgians with no carapils wheat malt or special mashing of any sort and the head comes out beautiful.
are you AG? if not going AG might be the answer. look to the health of your yeast and fermentation. fusels and higher alcohol will kill a head.

mmmmuuussst nnnnooootttt mmmmaaaakkeee ssssseeeexxxuuuualll iiiinnnyyyyoooouuuurrreeeennnndddooo

oh I just gotta do it......

Buy her flowers! :lol: :lol:

Buy your beer a beer :)

and hope its a she :super:

You're asking in the wrong place, maybe try a backpacker hostel?

Couldn't help myself...

Back