London Pubs (and Paris suggestions?)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
themonkeysback said:
For Paris:
Brewberry beer bar - 18 rue du Pot de Fer
Female owner who speaks really good english. Good range of international beers, plenty of which are hard to come by in Australia.
Bottle shop - La Cave a bulles - 45 Rue Quincampoix, near centre pompidou. Good international range, best bottle shop in Paris. Heaps of french and belgian beers.
Good spots. Just to expand on this, also check these places in Paris:-

La Fine Mousse http://www.lafinemousse.fr/
Les Trois 8 http://www.lestrois8.fr/
A la biere comme a la biere http://www.alabierecommealabiere.com/
Le Supercoin http://www.supercoin.net/
Express de Lyon https://twitter.com/exss2lyon

If you would like to try some crackin' Brittany cider I can recommend some creperie/cafes that serve fantastic ciders too.

Unfortunately you're on the wrong side of the city for these bars but the Metro is quick and easy to navigate with a map (assuming you haven't been to Paris before).

Anyone who says Paris has no beer culture hasn't been there in the past year, or just hasn't bothered to look but its getting good. Having said that, the quality of beer coming out of those London breweries is pretty damn special.

Enjoy!

O'Henry said:
Breweries in London whose beer you should look for, in no order:

Beavertown
Kernel
Brew by Numbers
Partizan
Redemption
Camden Town Brewery
Fullers (obvz)

Places to drink, again in no order:

North:
Earl of Essex
The Black Heart
The Taproom

East:
Cock Tavern
The Fox
Dukes Brew and Que
Crate Brewery
The Jolly Butcher

South:
The Dean Swift
The Rake (which is not for me but people love it)
The Ivy House
Cask Pub and Kitchen

West:
I don't go here so no idea.

Central:
Holborn Whippet
The Gunmakers (this is my number one recommend because the food is so good and the ales are kept the best in town imho)
Old Red Cow
Craft Clerkenwell ( a chain of craft beer pubs, they are in; Clerkenwell, Brixton, Islington, Covent Garden)

That's it. These are mostly pubs, there are a lot of places to eat that also do good beer, but there are way are lot of places that do shit everything.

Good luck.
Thanks, O'Henry - great advice!

With the breweries in London you listed, are their beers served in any of the pubs you listed or so they have their own outlets only?

Cheers - Snow

Snow said:
Thanks, O'Henry - great advice!

With the breweries in London you listed, are their beers served in any of the pubs you listed or so they have their own outlets only?

Cheers - Snow
The Bermondsey breweries open up their doors to the public every Saturday but you'll find their beers all over the city relatively easily at the pubs mentioned above.

Keep an eye out for Brodies beers, one of the top breweries in London and you can drink their beers at their own pub the Old Coffee House in SoHo.

Also, hit up Brewdog bars for excellent guest taps. There's 3 bars located in Camden, Shoreditch and Shepherds Bush.

Sooooo many beer places in London. And we haven't even touched on the restaurants, coffee shops etc. that serve great beer as well. It's crazy!

nate2g said:
The Bermondsey breweries open up their doors to the public every Saturday but you'll find their beers all over the city relatively easily at the pubs mentioned above.

Keep an eye out for Brodies beers, one of the top breweries in London and you can drink their beers at their own pub the Old Coffee House in SoHo.

Also, hit up Brewdog bars for excellent guest taps. There's 3 bars located in Camden, Shoreditch and Shepherds Bush.

Sooooo many beer places in London. And we haven't even touched on the restaurants, coffee shops etc. that serve great beer as well. It's crazy!
Beavertown - Dukes Brew and Que, burger and rib joint, official home of Beavertown
Kernel - Brewery Tap Room Saturday only 9am-2pm
Brew by Numbers - Tap Room Saturday only 10am-5pm
Partizan - Tap Room Saturday only 11am-5pm
Redemption - no taproom, but widely available
Camden Town Brewery - Bar Thurs-Sat, 12-11pm.
Fullers (obvz) - Pubs all over town, also available in many other places.

Just thought of a couple of tips .
1. Take a hard shell suit case to be used for the transport of any beer glasses you get. ( much better protection than a soft case.)
2. Take a roll of bubble wrap with you to wrap beers glasses etc with after stuffing jocks and socks into them.
The bubble wrap is light ,won't take up much room and you may not be able to find some on your travels when you need it.
Cheers.....spog....

Lincoln2 said:
Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese is worth a look. It's one of the oldest pubs in London and has a fascinating history (well I found it fascinating but that's kind of my bag). Great atmosphere; dark, small rooms, low ceilings, a subterranean level etc. I think it's a Sam Smiths pub (as per BrewbieNewbie's tip) so the range is not massive but there are some great pints at reasonable prices. It's just off Fleet Street so quite centrally located.
Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese is cool if, as previously stated, you don't mind the historical side of things with your beer.

Upstairs is quite new (post 1600's!) while the basement, predates the 1600's, opens later in the day apparently, so can be worth checking times.

There's a pub down Bermondsey way - between Jamaica Rd I think and the river, I think it's called the Angel(it's been a while) where it's believed Cook made many of his preparations for his voyage here.

We found an awesome craft beer bar yesterday, Euston Tap - 25 craft taps.

It is right at the Euston bus and train exchange/station. It is great.... was a nice stop over on the way back from Brew Dog bar in Camden.

Also, try:

Camden town brewery [Only open Thursday, Friday and Saturdays] right near that is Tapping the Admiral and The Grafton... then bus it up to the Southhampton Arms.

I love you London.

Funnily enough off to Paris tomorrow, this thread could not have come at a better time, thanks OP!

Cheers!

Cocko said:
We found an awesome craft beer bar yesterday, Euston Tap - 25 craft taps.

It is right at the Euston bus and train exchange/station. It is great.... was a nice stop over on the way back from Brew Dog bar in Camden.

Also, try:

Camden town brewery [Only open Thursday, Friday and Saturdays] right near that is Tapping the Admiral and The Grafton... then bus it up to the Southhampton Arms.

I love you London.

Funnily enough off to Paris tomorrow, this thread could not have come at a better time, thanks OP!

Cheers!
You're most welcome Cocko.

Someone else recommended the Euston Tap via pm, I'll definitely make the effort to get there.

Thanks to all the contributors to the thread...slightly overwhelming in terms of options now, and as I said to start with I'm only there briefly, and will be working most of the time.
I'll have a crack though!

Dont fret too much. We found a pub where ever we went. If we didnt like the beer there, another pub is just up the road. You cant go wrong. Like i said earlier, make sure you get stuck into the real ales. Its something that we dont do very well here in Oz. Always be polite and ask if they have any old beer engines or taps they no longer want. We picked up a beer engine and great Pilsner Urquell font and tap in York, just by being friendly and asking.
Have fun
Cheers
LB

LagerBomb said:
Dont fret too much. We found a pub where ever we went. If we didnt like the beer there, another pub is just up the road. You cant go wrong. Like i said earlier, make sure you get stuck into the real ales. Its something that we dont do very well here in Oz. Always be polite and ask if they have any old beer engines or taps they no longer want. We picked up a beer engine and great Pilsner Urquell font and tap in York, just by being friendly and asking.
Have fun
Cheers
LB
Thanks LB.

I'm definitely going to get into the real ales, and am really looking forward to it.
I think I'll have a few 'must see' pubs on my list and apart from that will just wander around and see what I can see.

Cheers,

Ken

Good plan. The Cheshire Cheese is good but don't be tempted by the Black Friar. It was recommended to us but we found it to be fake. We found the little pubs the best atmosphere. Sometimes that's more important than the beer. Great beer in a crap pub is no fun. At least we didn't think so.
Cheers
LB

The one brewery that has been missed and if the missus' wants to do some sight seeing at the same time. Is "Meantime", it's right there in Greenwich park.

I totally missed out the southhampton arms in Kentish Town. If you are keen for cask beer, you must go here. Great place, that sign outside just says 'Ale, cider, meat'. Can't go wrong. 10 ales, 7 ciders, and only two beers in keg.

Euston Tap has a huge selection but too often the beers are not turned over due to this and I've had a few shit ones.

Also brewerys from outside London worth a nod that you can get regularly are Dark Star and Thornbridge. I'd try there stuff if I saw it.

Sorry to give more options. What days of the week are you here?

London (& the UK in general), is pretty much the home of the pub as we know it. Not sure about Paris though...
There are 100's of pubs of varying qualities around the old dart. I was lucky enough to spend 12 months there a few years back. Some favourites with decent beer were.

-The Cittie of York in Holborn
-Already mentioned, but I also liked Ye Old Cheshire Cheese on Fleet street near St. Pauls Cathedral. Go upstairs and grab the window seat at front and watch the rat race unfold! It's got the full on wood panelling etc.
-If you're over near Hyde Park and Mayfair, check out the Audley, have lots of options on tap.

As mentioned, the Samuel Smith range of beers are excellent at reasonable prices.

If all else fails, just go in for a quick look to check the place out! Probably avoid some pubs in Soho, can be quite a seedy area at the best of times.

Enjoy the trip.

St Stephens tavern on the corner of Bridge road and Canon Row a stones throw from Big Ben,a nice pub.
You can stand outside hold up a pint a get a piccie of your self with Big Ben behind you then frame it and hang it in the brewery.
Cheers....spog...

O'Henry said:
I totally missed out the southhampton arms in Kentish Town. If you are keen for cask beer, you must go here. Great place, that sign outside just says 'Ale, cider, meat'. Can't go wrong. 10 ales, 7 ciders, and only two beers in keg.

Euston Tap has a huge selection but too often the beers are not turned over due to this and I've had a few shit ones.

Also brewerys from outside London worth a nod that you can get regularly are Dark Star and Thornbridge. I'd try there stuff if I saw it.

Sorry to give more options. What days of the week are you here?
Arghhhhh, more options...

I arrive Sunday at 5am. Head to Paris Monday night. Return to London Thursday in the early afternoon.
Work Friday and then catch up with my best man Friday night.I haven't seen him for about 10 years so there's some catching up to do.
Fly back out Saturday (evening) but am catching up with long lost rellies on Saturday.

So I basically have Sunday, Thursday arvo and Friday night to test the pubs.

spog said:
St Stephens tavern on the corner of Bridge road and Canon Row a stones throw from Big Ben,a nice pub.
You can stand outside hold up a pint a get a piccie of your self with Big Ben behind you then frame it and hang it in the brewery.
Cheers....spog...
Haha, love it!

Back