Little Creatures Pa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockadays

Reaction score
Hi folks just drank a few LCPA last night and I noticed a distinct Lichi flavour and I'm trying to work out what it's from. Could it be from the primary yeast strain or even the bottling strain or do they add Lichi flavour to the brew. Having a look at the wyeast page I can only find the 3638 Bavarian Wheat yeast to give a lichi flavour. Has any one got any ideas?? or used this yeast??

Matt

G'day Matt,

I reckon if you did a search on LCPA on this site you computer would melt :lol: There has been more written about this beer than just about any other on AHB going back quite awhile.

Nonetheless, my personal opinion is that it is the combination of hops moreso than the yeast that is giving the fruit aromas you speak of. My understanding is that the fresh Cascade and Chinook flowers that they use late and via the hopback is what gives it the hop aroma/flavour kick that LCPA fans (like me :) ) love. Yeast may be a factor though, but I reckon what you are noticing is the fresh hop aroma.

My $0.02

Shawn.

I highly doubt LCPA uses this yeast. They probably use something more like WLP001 California Ale. My guess is that the flavours you are tasting are most likely derived from the hops. LCPA uses both Cascade and Chinook for flavour/aroma, and Goldings (I think) for bittering. I have heard various American hops being described as having lichi flavours before. Personally, I have only ever eaten one or two lichis in my whole life so I am not the best person to comment! :blink: But Cascade definitely has some tropical fruit flavours, and I think Chinook (if used in the right way) has similar flavours also.

I'd say you are tasting more the hops rather than the yeast. Just jam a truckload of cascade in to your next pale ale late in the boil (or dry hop/hop tea, depending on whether your brewing method) and you'll get similar flavours. :beer:

Thanks guys

Looks as though I was wandering down the wrong path..

Matt

agree :)

I think it's the hops that you tasting. I attempted an AG clone using a wyeast american ale yeast, bittered with chinooks and dry hopped with cascade. It didn't really turn out like a LC PA but I ended up with a different but exceptionally good american style pale ale that I will be making again.

Devo, how did you find the Chinook for bittering? I am thinking of trying these hops at some stage soon (probably in an American IPA).

Sorry for the slight thread hyjack. :ph34r:

I made an APA from Amarillo hops a few month back and it came out beautifully - overflowing with those tropical fruit flavours! The recipe was something like this:

4.5kg JW Ale malt
200g JW Dark Crystal malt
POR for bittering (to around 40 IBUs - was only about 10g though from memory)
30g Amarillo @ 20 mins
30g Amarillo @ 10 mins
60g Amarillo @ flameout
Safale S04

It was similar to LCPA but not really close enough to call a clone. Just as happy drinking either one though!

T.D. said:
Devo, how did you find the Chinook for bittering? I am thinking of trying these hops at some stage soon (probably in an American IPA).

I made an APA from Amarillo hops a few month back and it came out beautifully - overflowing with those tropical fruit flavours! The recipe was something like this:

4.5kg JW Ale malt
30g Amarillo @ 20 mins
30g Amarillo @ 10 mins
60g Amarillo @ flameout
Safale S04

It was similar to LCPA but not really close enough to call a clone. Just as happy drinking either one though!
[post="92662"][/post]​

If my memory serves me correct I think I got em here at: http://www.ubrew.com.au

my 2 cents...

I actually bought some LCPA recently. I know it's extaravagant, but I got a $50 voucher.

Anyway, I reckon I can detect the Chinook (bigtime) in the flavour and taste.

If I was gonna try and copy it, I'd be adding some Chinook in dry hop as well as late in the boil. Worth a try!

Seth :p

I'm still experimenting with the chinnok aromatic/flavour profile. I've only used 20gms for dry hopping but will need to up it a bit more because it's still not coming through as much as I would like.

devo said:
I'm still experimenting with the chinnok aromatic/flavour profile. I've only used 20gms for dry hopping but will need to up it a bit more because it's still not coming through as much as I would like.
[post="92751"][/post]​

I haven't used Chinook before, but from all the stories I got the impression that you have to watch over-using it. Its interesting to hear that you will boost the quantities a bit next time. I love my hops (especially American varieties) so when I finally get around to ordering some Chinook, I definitely want to taste it. Would you happily use it in the same sort of quantities in an APA as cascade for instance? As in, do you think it could be substituted in place of cascade entirely? I'm just trying to get an idea of how "overpowering" and potent this variety really is.

I may be crazy but i actually taste white labs 051 in Little Creature. I have used this yeast three times and to me it comes across like passionfruit or lychee similar to LC. It probably is 1056 with mostly hops coming across as you guys suggest. Still It would be interesting to do a side by side with these two yeasts.

Why's that Jazman? Certainly seems like a hop variety that people either love or hate...

I have also been tossing up the option of Simcoe. Never tried it either. Its a similar aa% to Chinook, and seems a little more "stable" from the reports I have heard.

Apologies again for the hyjack :rolleyes: , but I guess this is sort of relevant to a discussion of LCPA flavours... ;)

simcoe is good and not as harsh or dominant as i hear but i have good results using New Zealand's high alpha hops like southern cross,or the funky nelson sauvin

T.D. said:

4.5kg JW Ale malt
30g Amarillo @ 20 mins
30g Amarillo @ 10 mins
60g Amarillo @ flameout
Safale S04

[post="92662"][/post]​

I think in this case it is definitely the hops giving it the tropical fruit flavours.

Tropical is about the most common word I have heard in relation to amarillo.

My first amarillo brew (35g at flameout, in an otherwise classic English bitter) is just about ready for racking to cc. Looking forward to how this one turns out for the summer.

Thanks to Aaron for the hops, btw.

Hope that supporting a hijack thread doesn't amount to a thread derailment. But, as has been perhaps implied already, there is plenty on thread LCPA discussion elsewhere on this board.

11 minutes to midnite :ph34r:

awrabest, stu

Did a small partial as an experiment a while back.Simcoe@60 min,Amarillo@30min,Cascade@10 min&flame out(1 gram per litre)
US 56 yeast.
Sensational.

At a tasting the Little Creatures rep mentoned it was a cascade flower added late...

doesn't mean it is right though. I guess the LCPA is a flavour I haven't stepped up to yet, a bit too much when I tried it... still loving the malt domination beers. But saying that, my brews IBU's are creeping up over time. I dare say I'd be into it one day ;)

hockadays said:
Hi folks just drank a few LCPA last night and I noticed a distinct Lichi flavour and I'm trying to work out what it's from. Could it be from the primary yeast strain or even the bottling strain or do they add Lichi flavour to the brew. Having a look at the wyeast page I can only find the 3638 Bavarian Wheat yeast to give a lichi flavour. Has any one got any ideas?? or used this yeast??

Matt
[post="92643"][/post]​

I have used this yeast to brew a few beers lately and although it has some nice estery flavours, I definitlely DO NOT think that it is used for LCPA (sorry for the yelling). This yeast produces some really good clean clove flavours which are not in LCPA.

I reckon the brewers extract those nice flavours by running the hot wort through a hop back stuffed with fresh Cascade hop flowers ^_^.

Cheers,
PJO

Latest posts

Back