Little Creatures PA Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manson81

Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

I've decided to ditch the kits now and just brew full extract. Made one on Wednesday that was a modified recipe for fat yak that I'd found online, all went well.

I love a little creatures pale ale, and just designed this in Ianh spreadsheet, based on my own opinions and what I read on the Little Creatures website.

What do you reckon?
2kg Liquid LME
500g DWME
500g LDME
250g Caramunich
US-05

19g Chinook @ 60
20g Cascade @ 15
10g Cascade @ 5

Probably dry hop another 10-20g cascade after a few days too

Looks pretty good, i made a Little creatures brew a while back and turned out great. One thing i might suggest that works for me is using 2.5 kg of dry extract instead of 2 kg liquid and 500g dry, I just find it easy to work with the DME (more accurate when weighing out amounts for hop boil to get your SG correct).

Only other thing was i used East Kent Golding for the bittering hop addition aswell as Chinook. I found a pic from the brewery board which listed EKG as a used hop i'll see if i can track it down for ya.

Here is my recipe below if you wanna have a look anyway -

Beer Name Little Coach's Pale Ale Brewer Dylan

Rehydrate US05 yeast in 100ml of boiled water cooled to < 30C

GRAINS steep at 65-70C for 30 minutes in a minimum of 1.95 litres of water

CaraAroma 0.2 kg
CaraRed 0.2 kg
CaraPils 0.25 kg

and rinse the grains (sparge) in a minimum of 1.95 litres of water at 65-70C

Make the Hop Boil Volume up to 7 Litres

Bring Boil SG to 1.040 add either 435 g DME or 529 g LME

Bring to rolling boil
HOPS add Chinook 15 g 60 Mins
East Kent Golding 15 g 60 Mins
Cascade 15 g 30 Mins
Cascade 15 g 10 Mins
Chinook 10 g 5 Mins
Cascade 20 g 0 Mins

DME Light Dry Malt 2.5 kg (less any added above)

add remainder of DME about 1 minute from the end of the boil

Cool the resulting wort (can be achieved by adding to ice/cold water in fermenter)

LME

KIT

Dex 0.25 Dissolve the Dex
MaltoDextrin
Add to Fermenter and make up to 23 Litres with hot or cold water to adjust the temperature

When below 26C pitch ale yeast or if using lager yeast cool to below 16C before pitching

Predicted OG 1.050 IBU 30.2
FG 1.012 EBC 19.1
%alc Keg 5.0 Bottle 5.4

My notes say - dry hopped with 20g cascade after 7 days fermentation, bottled 7 days after that, good after 1 month, great after 6 months.

Also i had one a few months back after being O/S for a couple of years and it was still fantastic (thats right 3 years old!)

Hope that helps ya out a bit.

:D

Love Chinook. Check out tower IPA at dan Murphy's, Chinook focus, awesome hop.

I have tried to replicate LCPA 4 times. I have one kegged now and another keg that is next in line. The first was using the Coopers APA while the other three were all extract.
The current brew is more along the lines of a LCPA rather than an exact clone:
1.5kg Coopers LME
1.5kg Coopers WME
250g Medium Crystal 120 EBC
1332 yeast (3rd gen)

Centeniall 15g - 40 mins
Cascade 20g - 20mins
Galaxy 20g - 20 mins
Cascade 15g - 7 mins
Galaxy15g - 7 mins
Cascade 10g -day 7
Galaxy 10g - day 7

It is probably a bit full on for the LCPA and I am planning a partial next, bittering will be with magnum and I will ramp back the Galaxy addition.

I don't know if I will ever make an LCPA clone and I'm not sure I really want to reach that pinnacle, because it is a fun journey :kooi:

Pickaxe said:
Love Chinook. Check out tower IPA at dan Murphy's, Chinook focus, awesome hop.
Tower 10 IPA, absolutely love this beer, i bought myself a chinook rhyzome after trying this stuff.

Back