James Squire Hop Thief 6 - Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulyman

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm only 4 months in, 4 or 5 K&K under the belt. Just used IanH's spreadsheet to try my first extract brew aiming for a Hop Thief 6 clone. Just bottled and it looks close in colour and taste, obviously not quite the punchy dry hopped smell of commercial hop thief, but its not lacking that's for sure. I'm quite chuffed, can't wait until its carbonated and I can do a proper side by side.

Using the spreadsheet as a guide I came up with the following:

2KG LDME
1KG DDME (Dark dry malt extract, is that the correct acronym?)
0.5 KG Caramunich 2

5g Columbus + 5g Simcoe at 20 minutes
20g Columbus + 20g Simcoe at 5 minutes
30g Columbus + 30g Simcoe at 0 minutes
35g Columbus + 35g Simcoe dry hopped on day 5.

Predicted FG of 1053 and OG of 1013. Actual FG of 1014 so I'm impressed with the spreadsheet!

Also,

Please, please add any criticisms. I'm still a newbie and would love to take on board the input from the more experienced.

paulyman said:
Hi all,

I'm only 4 months in, 4 or 5 K&K under the belt. Just used IanH's spreadsheet to try my first extract brew aiming for a Hop Thief 6 clone. Just bottled and it looks close in colour and taste, obviously not quite the punchy dry hopped smell of commercial hop thief, but its not lacking that's for sure. I'm quite chuffed, can't wait until its carbonated and I can do a proper side by side.
Welcome to the forum pal!

paulyman said:
Using the spreadsheet as a guide I came up with the following:

2KG LDME
1KG DDME (Dark dry malt extract, is that the correct acronym?)
0.5 KG Caramunich 2
I'm a little confused by what you have brewed,

Is that, 2KG Light Dry Malt Extract 1KG Dark Dry Malt Extract and water?

paulyman said:
5g Columbus + 5g Simcoe at 20 minutes
20g Columbus + 20g Simcoe at 5 minutes
30g Columbus + 30g Simcoe at 0 minutes
35g Columbus + 35g Simcoe dry hopped on day 5.
I won't get into it too much, but according to the JS website the hops for hop thief 6 are:
Dr Rudi, Cascade, Motueka, Mosaic, Simcoe, Columbus

Have you done any bittering Hops?

Also what yeast did you use?

paulyman said:
Predicted FG of 1053 and OG of 1013. Actual FG of 1014 so I'm impressed with the spreadsheet!
I think you have the FG and OG around the wrong way?

Edit: I will give you some more feed back later, I have a really sore head at the moment.

Website says No6 is Built around Simcoe with a little Columbus. Maybe the other hops were used in previous iterations? It's on my glass now and I'm not tasting anything but Simcoe and what I assume is Columbus.

Blind Dog said:
Website says No6 is Built around Simcoe with a little Columbus. Maybe the other hops were used in previous iterations? It's on my glass now and I'm not tasting anything but Simcoe and what I assume is Columbus.
That aside you're not concerend about the fact that all he has in the beer is 2KG LDME 1KG DDME and then only 20 minute, 5 Minute and 0 Minute hops?

I steeped the caramunic for 20 minutes in 1L of 70 degree water and then strained with 1L of water as directed by the spreadsheet.

I added the 2L of water from the steep to make up a 10L boil following the spreadsheet on how much light dry malt to add to the water to get it to 1040 for the boil.

I turned off the hop concentration factor and with those hop additions the IBU came out at 22 according to the spreadsheet, I'm starting to think I've miss understood a difference between IBU and actual bitterness? It seemed to have some bitterness when I tried it.

I cooled the wort in an ice bath and then added it along with the remainder of the 2KG of light dry malt, and the 1 KG of dark dry malt to the fermenter. Topped up to 23 litres. I added US05 yeast and sealed up to ferment.

I did mix up the OG and FG.

brzt6060 said:
That aside you're not concerend about the fact that all he has in the beer is 2KG LDME 1KG DDME and then only 20 minute, 5 Minute and 0 Minute hops?
No idea on the extract. Too many years and too many beers since I used extract to make any meaningful contribution to that side of things. Hopping schedule didn't worry me overly as I had no idea how it would work in an extract recipe. So the only thing I could meaningfully comment on was the type of hops. Wasn't meant to be a dig at you, just happened to be drinking it at the time

Hey mate,

Your process looks pretty sound, however at an ibu in the low 20's your beer is going to end up a little light on bitterness. At a guess, the JS would have an ibu that's probably twice what your beer will have.

Your hop additions should give you bitterness, flavour and aroma. To generalise, bittering hops are added to the boil at anywhere from 60 to 30 mins; flavour at around 30 to 20 and aroma from 20 to 0 to dry. There are certain hops that work better for bittering, some that are better for flavour and some that work for both. The timings are also not set in stone either.

Check this out: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-1.html

If you like hoppy beers, have a look at the feral hop hog clone thread on here and give one of those recipes a go!

Cheers!!

Thanks for the info and feedback Shacked. I'm glad the process seems right, if the worst I've done is the creation of an under bittered beer I can live with that. I can fix that next brew.

I'll read through the info you have me and try again.

Oh, and I went and grabbed a four pack of Hop Hog to try, thanks for that info as well.

One last thing, I generally add the balance of my malts / adjuncts 5 mins before the end of the boil.

Keep us posted on this batch mate. Enjoy the hop hog!!

Wow, hop hog is amazing! I'll definitely look at the recipes on here!

Just tried a bottle of my batch, only slightly carbed of course, but though I'd try one. The colour is good. A little bitterness, but way too sweet! Lots of hop flavour and a bit of aroma. Although I do like the maltiness, just needs that bitterness to back it up.

Next batch I will do a 60 minute addition as suggested. Looking at the info provided and the forums here. How does magnum sound as a bittering hop?

Yup, the HH is a nice drop!!

Magnum would be good. Citra and Centennial also work well.

paulyman said:
Wow, hop hog is amazing! I'll definitely look at the recipes on here!

Just tried a bottle of my batch, only slightly carbed of course, but though I'd try one. The colour is good. A little bitterness, but way too sweet! Lots of hop flavour and a bit of aroma. Although I do like the maltiness, just needs that bitterness to back it up.

Next batch I will do a 60 minute addition as suggested. Looking at the info provided and the forums here. How does magnum sound as a bittering hop?
Hop Hog is good but if you want the same but better try and find founders all day session IPA.

Glad the beer is drinkable... I just want to check and see as you said it was really sweet that you did have a stable gravity for 3 days before botterlig didn't you? Don't want any bottle bombs.

Will look out for All Day IPA.

The gravity was stable for 3 days, I actually left it for nearly a week after the second reading as I got side tracked with work.

I am making Tony's James Squire Amber Ale recipe next, I will play it safe on the next batch.

I have been playing with the spreadsheet and made two changes, I've dropped the dark malt and gone with just 3 kg of LDME and added 10g of Magnum at 60 minutes.

• 3 kg LDME
  • 0.5 kg CaraMunich 2
  • 90g Simcoe
  • 90g Columbus
  • 10g Magnum
  • US05 Yeast
I will do a 10L boil with 827g LDME added to get the BG to a predicted 1.040. The hop schedule will be:

• 10g Magnum at 60 minutes
  • 5g Simcoe and 5g Columbus at 20 minutes
  • 20g Simcoe and 20g Columbus at 5 minutes
  • 30g Simcoe and 30g Columbus at 0 minutes
  • 35g Simcoe and 35g Columbus dry hopped around day 5 depending on when fermentation dies down.
The spreadsheet estimates an OG of 1.053 and an FG of 1.013. An IBU of 37.2 and an EBC of 19.7.

This will be a fair bit lighter in colour than the last batch, too light. But I felt I should keep the changes to a minimum to see how they affect it.

How do those changes sound?

I will be trying something similar this weekend. Posted on the all grain thread but better I post here. Thinking of doing a similar hops scheule to yours above but in the interest of being a tight ******* I want to throw in some prehopped cans just to get the bittering up. I'll be doing 45L so here is what i'm thinking.

1 x Coopers Draught
1 x Coopers Lager
2.5kg LDM
1.2kg Caramunich
1kg Carared
80g Columbus
80g Simcoe

10L boil with;

10g Simcoe and 10g Columbus at 20 minutes
15g Simcoe and 15g Columbus at 5 minutes
20g Simcoe and 20g Columbus at 0 minutes
35g Simcoe and 35g Columbus dry hopped

Should be about 46 IBU's with an OG of 1.052.

I am hoping to get that beautiful red colour so hopefully the Caramunich and Carared will have some effect.

Slight change for mine. Dropped the carared after chatting with my LHBS and going with 50g of roasted barley. Caramunich will be 1kg. I'm also thinking of doubling the simcoe amount.

How did your second attempt go paulyman?

Latest posts

Back