Fat Yak Double Batch

• Thread starter cuds01
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cuds01

After reading this forum and looking at the recipe for a Fat Yak clones, a few mentioned using the Copper Pale ale or Coopers Real Ale. The brew shop recommended the Real Ale ( bonus cheaper as well). Recipe also called for 1kg LDME and 250g dextrose. Decided ( with some advice) to decrease the malt and increase the dextrose so that the hop flavor shone through. The recipe is as follows at 44L

500g pilsener grain ( 6 row) - why: left over from a previous Pilsener brew
1kg dextrose
1kg LDME
20g Nelson Sauvin (11.5% AA) – 60min boil
40g Cascade(5 % AA) – 5min boil. (I actually did 20g @ 10min then 20g @ 5min
20g Nelson Sauvin(11.5% AA) – 5min boil.( I actually did 10g @ 10min then 20g @ 5 min)
20g Cascade(5 % AA) – Dry Hop 3 - 4 days
20g Nelson Sauvin(11.5% AA)– Dry Hop 3 - 4 days
2 x Ale Us-05 Yeast

Some recipes only dry hop with the Nelson, some with the cascade. A lot just recommend the Nelson, leaning towards that but have plenty of hops so may do both

Opening the Nelson and smelling -great smell just like FY

OG: 1.056
FG:? Just started fermenting tonight at 18 degrees

Note: great hop smells, I know it won't be FY but I think I will be happy with it. Will soon see.

Ps: found a great online business that sells hops etc with free delivery. Great prices and value (core brewing concepts)

erm... have you come across www.hopdealzaustralia.com ? :ph34r:
It's the bee's knees for us in Melbourne (though CBC might right for you if you need more than just hops & yeast).

Mate, no way would I do a double batch with a trial recipe - you know why? Because I did a double batch attempt at a Fat Yak clone a few years back and it was a bowl of fruit salad.

anyway, you could be OK ;)

Find out soon enough I guess.. Hopefully will be ok ( a lot to pour down the drain otherwise) made one from country brewer before although only single batch and a little different. Thanks Techno, hadn't looked at hop deals before. Looks good.

Was suppose to type 20g Nelson Sauvin(11.5% AA) – 5min boil.( I actually did 10g @ 10min then 10g @ 5 min) - not 20g

Hi BREWMASTERS,just after a recipe for a Fat Yak clone,k&k plus a few extras.This was the only thread I could find on the Yak know their has to be a lot more here.So if you have a recipe or could slip me a thread would be grateful' :chug:

ash2 said:
Hi BREWMASTERS,just after a recipe for a Fat Yak clone,k&k plus a few extras.This was the only thread I could find on the Yak know their has to be a lot more here.So if you have a recipe or could slip me a thread would be grateful' :chug:
up top where the search bx is type in "fat yak" and select the search option to use google. It will return plenty

ash2 said:
Hey Mate, I got one of these K&K kIts for a Fat Yak Clone

http://www.liquorcraft.com.au/afawcs0133827/CATID=0/SUBID=399/ID=6553/SID=664791681/productdetails.html

Unfortunately I didnt notice at the time of brewing that they only shipped it with 500g of Light Malt Extract instead of 1kg and ended up with it tasting a fair bit more bitter and only ~3.8%, not so great. So just check the ingredients a little more thoroughly when they arrive than I did.

QldKev said:
up top where the search bx is type in "fat yak" and select the search option to use google. It will return plenty
Thanks Kev,Google was the only option I did not use. :lol:

OzPaleAle said:
Hey Mate, I got one of these K&K kIts for a Fat Yak Clone

http://www.liquorcraft.com.au/afawcs0133827/CATID=0/SUBID=399/ID=6553/SID=664791681/productdetails.html

Unfortunately I didnt notice at the time of brewing that they only shipped it with 500g of Light Malt Extract instead of 1kg and ended up with it tasting a fair bit more bitter and only ~3.8%, not so great. So just check the ingredients a little more thoroughly when they arrive than I did.
Thanks Mate

I have tried the fat yak clone from country brewer, didn't last long so must of been good. Bottled the double batch today after cold crashing it and adding some more Nelson hops. (had to take the light etc out to fit the fermenter in though). Quite happy with the taste and the smell. It reminds me of FY so that's a bonus. Got to move to kegs, bottling 44L is an effort, having a beer or 4 made it easier.

Happy, 3 weeks bottled, had to try it. Great taste, good head, even has that Fat yak after taste when you burp. Few more weeks will only get better. Not an exact FY but pretty close and gr8 taste. Think I will make it again. I also through in some extra Nelson Sauvin towards the end of the fermentation, prob around 5g or a bit more - what was left over.

Thanks Parks, so am I. 44L would of been a waste tipping down the drain

Have noticed that the longer it ages it losing that distinct hop favour, think next time I will add more late hops

Back