Little Creatures Next Single Batch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slightly ot, but I'm just sitting at the Windsor Hotel in South Perth really enjoying a fresh, hoppy and generally delicious LCPA. Leaves the sun blown bottles and aged kegs we get in NSW for dead.

Hoping I can make it out to Fremantle for the good stuff in a few days.

Cheers

Grant

I am thinking that a dark lager would not be out of the question. Byron bay have a dark lager I think is a WRDA cousin. I tried it a few times obviously just to make sure!! Lol.. I have tried to replicate it with some success although early samples have been flavorsome,. Will try again when I finally get home in 6 weeks ;-)

Although it means a withdrawal from brewing which is kinda painful..

I found the oatmeal stout not very "stouty", but something that a dark ale (or lighter) person would drink.

I finally found the oatmeal stout at Purvis on the weekend (could never find it at my local Dan's). My verdict - I found that it had a nice smooth body like you would expect from an oatmeal, some nice roast flavours - and then, too much hops. Since when does stout have hop flavour? Isn't it normally bitteriong hops only? Now I'm not suggesting that LC must stick in style guidelines, but why put so much hops in stuff?

Whenever I have a LC pale ale I get hop burps.
The single batch brown ale was OK but - too much hop flavour.

If LC want to make different beers then they gotta taste different, at the moment the three that I've tried all taste like hops, and brown ales and stouts should really taste like brown ales and stouts, not like a darker LCPA.

Or possibly I just don't like hops that much? Actually I think I just prefer english style beers, LC is going the American path, like so many Aussie micro brews. Why, I don't know. Maybe that's what the market wants, if so then fair enough, they gotta make money first and foremost.

I finally found the oatmeal stout at Purvis on the weekend (could never find it at my local Dan's). My verdict - I found that it had a nice smooth body like you would expect from an oatmeal, some nice roast flavours - and then, too much hops. Since when does stout have hop flavour? Isn't it normally bitteriong hops only? Now I'm not suggesting that LC must stick in style guidelines, but why put so much hops in stuff?

If LC want to make different beers then they gotta taste different, at the moment the three that I've tried all taste like hops, and brown ales and stouts should really taste like brown ales and stouts, not like a darker LCPA.

Or possibly I just don't like hops that much? Actually I think I just prefer english style beers, LC is going the American path, like so many Aussie micro brews. Why, I don't know. Maybe that's what the market wants, if so then fair enough, they gotta make money first and foremost.

Not sure of the answer hazard (or is that Richard Marx in disguise). I personally like the small batches that LC are putting out because they have hop flavour, much better than the standard LCPA, which I find a little bland.

If I judged it as a stout, then monumental fail, but if I judge it as a beer, then I like it. I agree with you that if you are going to label something "stout", then it should come close enough to the guidelines. Otherwise call it an "oatmeal stout ale" or something. As I said, like the beer, but it will confuse people.

I personally have got into the american hops in the last 6 months, though I had a Kentish Ale last night and loved it. But when it says "hop flavour - hoppy, spicy, bitter" and I find no spice, I'm a little disappointed. It isn't hoppy, just bitter, and the aroma comes from the malt. So the flip side to your argument is that keeping within style but claiming "hoppiness" and "spiciness" but having none would disappoint those who like "hoppy" beer.

Don't know the answer. I like American hops, I like English beer and, as SWMBO put it yesterday at Dan's "you don't just 'feel like a beer', you feel like 'x beer' or are in the mood for 'y beer'". Yesterday was English Bitter Ale, tomorrow could be German lager.

</beer philosophy>

I like my stouts with hop flavour - RIS, American Stouts, Baltic Porters etc, delicious.
Unfortunately I missed out on the LCOS, again.
I like my English Beers with hop flavour too - EIPA's are my favourite and quite partial to the Landlord as well. Hop flavour in an English Ale is not neccesarily out of style so I found out, fortunately.

i finally had this beer on the weekend for the first tim (oatmeal stout) and was ive got to say rather underwelmed. while it is a well made and clean tasting beer it is just way to close to a wrda for mine. will actually do a side by side comparo next weekend but on memory of wrda thats how it sat in my mind. its becoming a bit of a thing with the small batches that while good beers they are nothing spectacular. imo if they want to go to the effort of limited small edition beers make something that stands right out from the crowd in aus,a big ris or 100+ ibu aipa or even shock horror a sour beer.the first two beers i was genuinly exited that something different might be on offer but the beers where so ho hum this time i didnt really care if i missed out and only bought it when i seen it on a rare dan murphys trip. are they scared that a big bold beer will scare some punters off? maybe the should look at what murrays are doing making exiting beers that poeple really want to drink,selling out on spatacus in a couple of days.whats next from lc? probably a pale lager with 30% sugaz but a few late hops in the hopback ,could be ground breaking :icon_drool2:

I like my stouts with hop flavour - RIS, American Stouts, Baltic Porters etc, delicious.
Unfortunately I missed out on the LCOS, again.
I like my English Beers with hop flavour too - EIPA's are my favourite and quite partial to the Landlord as well. Hop flavour in an English Ale is not neccesarily out of style so I found out, fortunately.
OK, let me refine what I said - what i should have said is that I don't like AMERICAN hops. Lots of pommie beers have hop flavour, but fuggles and EKG taste very different to american citrus hops. Yep, like you I also like TTL, but it also has a hint of caramel underneath the styrians. 2 other hoppy beers I've really enjoyed are Worthington White Shield and Greene King IPA (export strength at 5%, not the wimpy 3.6% version). These are hoppy, but a subtle, earthy hops, not the in-your-face american hops. But that's just my preference, clearly many others like american hops and that's OK.

maybe the should look at what murrays are doing making exiting beers that poeple really want to drink,selling out on spatacus in a couple of days.whats next from lc?

Imgine if a 'single batch' from Murrays was 16,000 litres!

My sources suggest it is going to be an IPA available only on tap.....

I had this on friday night at the brewery. AUSSIE IPA. Similar hop profile as the brown ale had (probably the same hops).

Decent enough beer, but a bit harsh & grassy on the palate.

I had this on friday night at the brewery. AUSSIE IPA. Similar hop profile as the brown ale had (probably the same hops).

Decent enough beer, but a bit harsh & grassy on the palate.
I went to the LC Beer HAll in Fitroy on Saturday night. They were serving "Hop Lord" on tap which they claim to be an IPA (the blackboard just said IPA, nothing about an Aussie IPA). 5.8% alcohol and plenty of hops.

Tasted like an amped up LCPA to me. LCPA has never been my favourite beer, so can't say I really got into this one. Just had the one pint and then moved to WR White Ale, cause my wife wanted me to stay reasonably sober. The blackboard says that WRWA has orange peel and spice - hard to taste it. Not a bad beer, easy to drink, but nothing distinguished about it.

I heard a rumour (and it is just that), that the next single batch was going to be an English style timed to coincide with the Ashes ... not sure about that myself, though.

I went to the LC Beer HAll in Fitroy on Saturday night. They were serving "Hop Lord" on tap which they claim to be an IPA (the blackboard just said IPA, nothing about an Aussie IPA). 5.8% alcohol and plenty of hops.

Tasted like an amped up LCPA to me. LCPA has never been my favourite beer, so can't say I really got into this one. Just had the one pint and then moved to WR White Ale, cause my wife wanted me to stay reasonably sober. The blackboard says that WRWA has orange peel and spice - hard to taste it. Not a bad beer, easy to drink, but nothing distinguished about it.
Tried the Hop Lord in Fremantle on the weekend and have to agree with everything you said. Kinda made me think LCPA with different hops. Great beer, but nothing really to make it stand out.

O'Henry, did or have you ever posted your oatmeal stout recipe, or is it top secret? Sinkas made mention that he thought he had posted it, but I've had no luck finding it.

Cheers

Hirns

I heard a rumour (and it is just that), that the next single batch was going to be an English style timed to coincide with the Ashes ... not sure about that myself, though.

This is no longer a rumour.

Little Creatures Next Single Batch East Kent Goldings Ale.
Will be interesting to see how little creatures go producing an English style ale.

east_kent_coming_soon.jpg

Hey Everyone,

EKG ale was on the filter today. Unfortunately I had to hit the airport prior to tasting the filtered version. But did taste brilliant out of the fermenter - nice, balanced, hoppy, goodness.... all you would expect from and EPA. I'm pretty stoked. Funny - I actually had my nose thrown out.... I said "wow, it smells like an english beer" not realising that 1) it was and 2) what my nose was missing was cascade!?! Gonna be an excellent version of an English Pale Ale I reckon....

Can't wait to taste the final product! No doubt we'll send out a notice when it is available (within the next two weeks I think, all going well).

Oh, and we are already thinking of the next one.....

Cheers,

Alex

Hey Everyone,

EKG ale was on the filter today. Unfortunately I had to hit the airport prior to tasting the filtered version. But did taste brilliant out of the fermenter - nice, balanced, hoppy, goodness.... all you would expect from and EPA. I'm pretty stoked. Funny - I actually had my nose thrown out.... I said "wow, it smells like an english beer" not realising that 1) it was and 2) what my nose was missing was cascade!?! Gonna be an excellent version of an English Pale Ale I reckon....

Can't wait to taste the final product! No doubt we'll send out a notice when it is available (within the next two weeks I think, all going well).

Oh, and we are already thinking of the next one.....

Cheers,

Alex

Awesome mate and just in time for my visit to Fremantle and Perth first weekend in march. Staying just round the corner from the brewery too. :beer:

decent braggot would be nice. not like the other two in this county

Back