Little Creatures Next Single Batch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had it last night and was a bit disappointed. I really liked their brown ale, the stout wasn't bad, however this beer was a bit lacking for me.
If you want to get into English beers, try getting the imported ones, that way they are more likely to be true to style. That said, im sure many people can make a good bitter.

Do you guys have any recommendations that might help me change my mind on the English pale?

Brewdog Punk IPA, not English but Scottish tis pale but not a strictly a pale ale and uses American and NZ hops so does not meet any of your criteria. :p I just love this beer and if I had more money it would be my house staple beer.

BD Punk IPA a tasty pale ale :)

Brewdog Punk IPA, not English but Scottish tis pale but not a strictly a pale ale and uses American and NZ hops so does not meet any of your criteria. :p I just love this beer and if I had more money it would be my house staple beer.

Just had a look at your link. It seems brewdog have dumbed it down recently. Used to be 65 IBU and 6%, now its 45 IBU and 5.6%. Its a real shame they're doing this as the original lived up to the label - the bit where they say its an aggressive beer. :angry:

Our keg did not even last a day @hartspub ...

Er ... I think the guy looking for some good English Pale Ales. I think Well's Bombardier is quite good and Timothy Taylor's Landlords Ale is excellent.

Er ... I think the guy looking for some good English Pale Ales. I think Well's Bombardier is quite good and Timothy Taylor's Landlords Ale is excellent.

Er O.K. then West Yorkshires Timothy Taylor Landlord is probably one of the best English Pale Ale at 4.1%abv

As a pom who cut his teeth on British real ales the problem with the examples we get here is that they are bottled. Now without sounding condescending this is a point which is often lost on Aussies who have not been to the UK and tried their real ales such as Timothy Taylor or Wells Bombardier etc.
The reason that most Aussies don't "get it" is that they have grown up on the likes of XXXX, Tooheys etc and in the case of say XXXX it is zapped and gassed at the production line, and the beer you get in the can or stubby is the same as the beer across the bar which comes in a keg that is really just a giant can.
The same could be said for James Squire Golden ale or even Coopers Pale Ale. And certainly for the overwhelming range of German and Czech beers where cask conditioning has never been a tradition. You have to go to the Wig and Pen in the ACT, or one of a handful of Sydney or Melbourne pubs to appreciate the difference between a live cask conditioned UK style beer served without CO2 pressure, and a beer with undoubtedly the same base ingredients, but filtered, pasteurised, carbonated and bottled.

The New Zealanders are getting into hand pumped real ales and some of their IPAs etc on handpump are divine. Really, much as I like the odd bottle of Old Hen or TTL as a nostalgia trip I still believe it's more "authentic" to brew your own UK style ale from the real ingredients such as TF malts and UK Hops, than to buy the bottles.

I called into the LC Dining Hall in Melb on Sat night for a couple of pints and a feed and was pleased to find the EKG Ale available in both draught and beer engine options.

I ordered a beer engine version only to fin that the keg had blown, so swapped out to a draught version. Really nice beer - good clean malt profile and the EKG just sings (my fav UK hop).

Promptly ordered a beer engine version afterwards as a point of comparison and I was surprised to say that I actually preferred the draught version (I have 3 engines at home myself and enjoyed many pints when in the UK). Maybe it was the new keg or just something wrong with the setup. It was still enjoyable, but seemed to lose something.

Nice beer and good to see LC play with something that is a very different beer to the regular line up. Can't wait to see what comes out next!!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've had all those IPAs and definitely enjoy them. Perhaps there will be one out there that will change my mind on this style.

Had a couple of EKGs at the Archive on Thursday and whilst a characterful beer, far too heavy on the hops for a true UK best bitter. I'd love to try the cask version however - great to see that a mega is dabbling in casks and beer engines, should be more of it. Probably never see it in Brisbane but :(

@Will88:

Young's special London ale when it's at its best. If it tastes like metal, it's been mistreated in the journey from brewery to your mouth.

Samuel Smith's India Pale Ale.

Had the EKG ale on tap at Freo yesterday. The hops seemed overdone - had a harsh herbal tea like flavour, not a bright fragrant dose of EKG goodness. No yeast derived british ale character either. Didnt taste like a 100% EKG beer. Seemed like something else was in there. LC previous attempt a british ale was fantastic, this not so much so... Probably the weakest of the single batch beers so far for my palate.

Into the argument above - London Pride and Chiswick bitter do it for me. Especially when fresh (as they are intended). Stale imported bottles and lack of decent local examples - its hard for people to understand the style properly. Not to mention the wide range of bitters, they vary a hell of a lot.

Just picked up 2 bottles at era for $6 each. Decent price really.

:icon_offtopic: At the same time there was good looking young blonde picking up a mixed four pack of a couple of these, a rauchbier and something else I didn't see. Mentioned it was for a valentine's present. :wub: Good lord where have you been all my life!! (if I was younger, less fat and single)

Had 4 pints of the EKG release last night - Bloody beautiful, hit all the right buttons with me. Wasn't another beer on tap at Archive that could tempt me away from it.

Cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back