Little Creatures Next Single Batch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is no longer a rumour.

Little Creatures Next Single Batch East Kent Goldings Ale.
Will be interesting to see how little creatures go producing an English style ale.

east_kent_coming_soon.jpg

They've actually had an english ale on bout 18 months back - and it was very agreeable!

I have received an email from LC regarding the East Kent English Ale and was suprised to read that they use EKG Hops in there Pale Ale. I thought the Pale Ale was just cascade and chinook. (then again I haven't looked into it or tasted a LCPA in a long time.)

"East Kent Goldings hops have always been lurking around the brewery, a quiet achiever in our Pale Ale, but this alleged noble hop variety with its gentle and earthy hop characteristics definitely deserves centre stage in this English Ale."

I have received an email from LC regarding the East Kent English Ale and was suprised to read that they use EKG Hops in there Pale Ale. I thought the Pale Ale was just cascade and chinook. (then again I haven't looked into it or tasted a LCPA in a long time.)

"East Kent Goldings hops have always been lurking around the brewery, a quiet achiever in our Pale Ale, but this alleged noble hop variety with its gentle and earthy hop characteristics definitely deserves centre stage in this English Ale."

I was under the impression EKG used to be used in the PA but now it's Galaxy and Cascade....

I was under the impression EKG used to be used in the PA but now it's Galaxy and Cascade....

From the horse's mouth only recently

Regarding hopping rates - these are still basically the same as they have always been, except now we are adding even more late in the process. In the old days we primarily added bittering hops and then used the hop back. Currently we are actually only adding a small amount of bittering hops (EKG), then we have a big addition in the whirlpool (US Cascade) and then we in fact add more US Cascade in the hopback than we previously did. The Galaxy plays the same role as the Chinook did, which is a small addition to help "lift" the hoppiness. We keep tabs on this as that hop can completely take over the beer; it is about balance. Currently we are playing around with some NZ Cascade in the mix, but this is not a permanent thing (just giving them a little run to check out the flavour).
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&pid=717104

I'm in Fremantle for the long weekend start if march. Hope the EKG pale is still on. Staying just round the corner so will be in there a few times I hope

Thanks - interesting to know.

No wonder LCPA does not taste the same to me. I have been saying it no longer has that real lychee flavour and now I know it is probably due to them no longer using Chinook.
Galaxy is a nice hop though!

" The Galaxy plays the same role as the Chinook did, which is a small addition to help "lift" the hoppiness. "

107_0221.JPG

Over carbonated, this pic was taken after 5 minutes or so. Light caramel and earthiness on the nose. Well balanced. It's very quaffable and well worth the 11 bucks for two, but not mind blowing. A nice beer.

Cheers, John.

View attachment 43962

Over carbonated, this pic was taken after 5 minutes or so. Light caramel and earthiness on the nose. Well balanced. It's very quaffable and well worth the 11 bucks for two, but not mind blowing. A nice beer.

Cheers, John.

Off to the bottle shop I go in search.

EDIT - scrap that the 2 closest bottle shops are both out and wont be getting anymore...what kinda place is WA becoming...either people really like new craft beer or they order a carton to sell.

Well I finally found it today. :D

Very carbonated but a big hit of ekg goodness and nicely balanced. Very very drinkable and finished in no time. Did poor the missus a mini glass and she loved it...guess what ill be trying to brew next.

lg_single_batch_ekg_resize.jpg

Tried it on tap at Archive a few nights ago.

I find it hard to give an accurate assessment because I really dislike this style of beer. I find English pale ales to be very bland and whilst I'm sure they've done a decent job of being true to the style it's not a beer I'll visit again.

Yeh, I'm referring to the less hopped cousin of the IPA. The stock standard English pale just doesn't do it for me.

There are some bland watered down versions of English pales no doubt but a good one is chock full of both malt complexity and delicious hoppiness.

Do you guys have any recommendations that might help me change my mind on the English pale?

Latest posts

Back