Little Creatures IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tropical_Brews said:
Still not available in our local Dan's so invested in a case of Hop Hog. It better be good because it works out more expensive than Ballast Point Bigeye which is a bigger bottle and 7%. You would think being Australian it would be sensibly priced.
The big advantage Hop Hog has is that it's local, so it actually still tastes/smells like an IPA when you drink it. Ballast Point etc lose about 99% of their hop goodness by the time it reaches my mouth.

I went to first choice to see if they had got more trois monts in, but none there so I grabbed a 4 pack of this. Slightly different beer haha. I'm a bit over pale ales and IPAs to be honest but well see how this goes tonight.

I too find the creatures beers a bit too sweet, and agree with the pilsner comments For me I'd much prefer the pils than the pale and bright. Though I'd happily drink them. They are at least consistent and drinkable.

slash22000 said:
(haven't had one myself yet) the beer is ridiculously sweet. The same BJCP you linked says an IPA should have "Medium-high to very high hop bitterness". So, yeah, it hits the numbers for an IPA, but it doesn't taste like an IPA (apparently).

As soon as you see an IPA advertised primarily as being "approachable", "drinkable", etc it usually means "It's an IPA that doesn't taste like an IPA".
Wow, I'm so glad we have Hop-heroes on this forum. What would we do without their knowledge and infinite wisdom?

Like Slash22000, I haven't had one either although I won't start making sweeping assumptions until I have one.

One thing we do know is that palates adjust over time and the hardcore IPA fans tend to keep moving towards harder IPAs. Maybe this is why some people are saying it's too light-on even though it looks to be in spec for the style.

Heading out for a couple now, will see how it goes...

This discussion is a prime example of why breweries worry more about making a beer people will buy and enjoy than concerning themselves about whether 5 nerdy homebrewers consider it fits some guidelines designed specifically for homebrewing competitions.

Especially if they've never actually tried one.

I like their pale. I like Rogers. I'll try this.

Got a 4pack at a local bottlo in sydney. Loved it, in fact I think hop hog finishes sweeter. The hop flavour comes through as does the fruity aroma. And not the typical fruit salad type either. Good for a change of scenery in the hoppy beer calendar. And I think they have it on tap here now too so Ill go try it fresh.

manticle said:
This discussion is a prime example of why breweries worry more about making a beer people will buy and enjoy than concerning themselves about whether 5 nerdy homebrewers consider it fits some guidelines designed specifically for homebrewing competitions.
This is so very true. There is no law which states all beer must be brew to conform to the style guidelines developed by an American homebrew association.

LC have already said that it is in the style of an English IPA, so why are people comparing it to American IPA's like Hop Hog etc?

slash22000 said:
I just don't really understand why breweries make these "approachable" IPA's, especially breweries like Little Creatures who don't make a "real" IPA.
I would have thought that as the IPA style was developed in England, that a real IPA would be an English style IPA.

To me the LC's have taken a bit of a middle ground with this IPA, the blend of hops is interesting and it's a bit more hoppy than English IPA's I've tried, but certainly more restrained and balanced than many American IPA's, I'd label it an Aussie IPA - best of both worlds, I like the malt profile of it and the hop aroma and taste is great - tropical fruit and background spiciness... my first impression was strong Lychee character. The bitterness was balanced out with the malt sweetness so much that the whole beer just faded away, just lacking "something" ... it does go down well and I was keen for more when I emptied my glass.

I think they've done a great job, certainly pleasant to drink and would choose it over some other beers out there - so I think they've got it right for the market they're pitching. Not in my list of top IPA's, but certainly in the good list.

About to have my second pint.

Just a decently made hoppy beer, slightly sweet malt finish and supporting bitterness. Good hop flavour ( fruity au or nz I would guess). Sweet and bready malt character.

Nice beer. Won't knock your socks off but I like nice beer and don't always need my socks knocked off. Certainly not a pint that should upset.

Trying one atm, something I would buy to go to a BBQ if I didn't really feel like getting on the turps, 4 of these would go down nicely.

Ok tried it on tap today. Very nice and quite consistent with the bottle flavour which I was very impressed with.

Straight after it i tried a 4 Pines IPA......... Stick with the Little creatures.

Timing.. Just trying one now, little sweet and a touch dry for my tastes.. A better of the creatures brews though..

Took hog off to serve it at the GB which is a little upsetting

I tried one today. Not a fan, bit too sweet for me. Though I'm into highly attenuated Belgians at the moment. I like their pils, and don't mind their pale ale, but not something I love to drink.

Yob said:
Timing.. Just trying one now, little sweet and a touch dry for my tastes.. Lol Is that legit?

Took hog off to serve it at the GB which is a little upsetting. Now that is an appalling move by your local, although I wouldnt mind if my local even had an IPA on tap, I have to go for an adventure to find one.

Not as good as Hawthorn. All that hype and this is all they come up with.
I think i prefer the pale ale more than the IPA.

Having said nice things about it previously (draught at great northern) I picked up a 4 pack last night. Definitely a better experience on tap. Some hop flavour but seemed a bit 1 dimensional. Hop, malt and bitterness profile all lacking something.

I found it interesting that on the label the volume was recorded in metric and imperial units.

Do LC export much? Wondered if this might be a beer aimed at Northern hemisphere markets.

The beer itself, really enjoyable, flavourful without being overwhelming. Would buy it again and hoping to have the opportunity to try it from a tap rather than out of a bottle.

This wasn't the epiphany beer that LCPA was for me many years ago, but enjoyable all the same.

Kev

Grabbed a four pack the other night and I really enjoyed it. I can understand the comments about it finishing a touch sweet, but I found the hops presence to be nice and balanced. Great aroma. Will definitely try again.

Went to the White Rabbit Brewery on the way home from Healsville this morning.

Spoke to Elton (very friendly guy, shared some stories with me too) there and tried some beers. They had an IPA on tap, I enjoyed that. Took home a LC IPA bottle too. Comparing them, similar actually but the IPA on tap just had something extra. Maybe the beer itself or maybe the fact it was fresher and from a keg. Would of stuck around longer but I was in a group of non beer freaks.

Either way, I like the White Rabbit Dark Ale and LC IPA more than what I have tried from 4 Pines and Hawthorn. Not a fan of the LC Bright Ale though.

manticle said:
Having said nice things about it previously (draught at great northern) I picked up a 4 pack last night. Definitely a better experience on tap. Some hop flavour but seemed a bit 1 dimensional. Hop, malt and bitterness profile all lacking something.
I think it's called finish. :unsure:

Drinkability, smell, flavour are great but it just finishes far too quickly for an IPA in my opinion. My opinion...

...but... it is really nice. Great combo of hops, and I do find myself reaching for the third one since SWMBO is quickly getting through the second...

I think this ones a winner. I tried it on tap for the first time last night and i think they have done really well. Plenty of hops...and not that bitter that you cant taste anything that follows. I chased it with a feral hop hog, and whilst i love that beer, the lcipa was the winner!

Latest posts

Back