Little Creatures IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The beach club up the road from me is doing a launch of the LC IPA at 6pm tonight. Not sure if it will be on tap or bottle. They also have Hop Hog on tap which is fantastic and get several of the Feral's on tap.

Seems like they are having a few bar launches... but no info about when we can buy a 6-er or 4 pack (like the Hog?) of this...

I can't make it to any of the WA launches

paulmclaren11 said:
Seems like they are having a few bar launches... but no info about when we can buy a 6-er or 4 pack (like the Hog?) of this...

I can't make it to any of the WA launches
This was asked on Twitter by someone and they responded by the end of September. There are pictures of bottled IPA on there so it can't be long.

Yeah they reckon end of September "at the latest". I just hope that, being Little Creatures, people might actually buy it so the local shops will get fresh stock. I found an IPA last week in a bottle shop with a "best before" of May 2012. :unsure: We need to fund research into keeping IPA's hoppy for more than a month.

I have 2 stubbies in the fridge. It's good. I'm using all my strength not to drink them tonight.

Dan Dan said:
I have 2 stubbies in the fridge. It's good. I'm using all my strength not to drink them tonight.
...and they were procured from...?

I had a couple of schconers of the IPA's. It's very nice. Unfortunately I rode to the pub so didn't get into too many. It's not a Big Dipper but definitely a 6 pack i'd grab if I'm heading to a bbq.

Dan Dan said:
Hope you saved one for Saturday night.

I expected way more, but then the DIPA was hard to beat....

Weird hop combination, will be interested to see what the rest of you think.

Had this a few days ago and im not too impressed. Grossly out of balance with the malt sweetness overpowering everything else.

I wasn't a fan of it out of the bottle (haven't tried it on tap yet). The hop combo was interesting, but as moosbeer said, it was balanced too much towards malt sweetness for me, especially in the finish. Needed more IBUs and/or a lower FG.

Yeah that is what I feared. All of Little Creatures beers are insanely sweet.

Honestly I don't really get this whole "balanced IPA" mindset. An IPA by definition is intended to be unbalanced. It's supposed to be bitter. It doesn't have to be ridiculously bitter/unbalanced to the point your teeth crack after every sip, but it gets to the point when it just tastes sickeningly sweet trying to "balance" 60+ IBU.

Like how my mother (who won't eat anything spicy) "balances" the heat of curry/chlli by refusing to add any curry powder / chillies. Why not just make something else?

I had a couple of the LC IPA tonight at the Syd LocalTaphouse. It was nice and sessionable but lacked that IPA punch and really was almost on par with the Pale Ale, just diff hops . The ABV was a bit higher but no strong alcohol. I talked to one of the LC people and he was also disappointed in the final product. He really wanted something loud and memorable, like a nz ipa (!) but was not appropved by above. Im not sure it bodes well for the LC seasonals if Kirin is cutting the legs of the IPA. It sounds like a lot of work was put in by the onground LC peeps in terms of hops but the numerous upstream management are more interested in turnover via maximum pubs than quality. hmmmm call me surprised.

On the other hand, Young Henrys Hop Ale is also very sessionable & hoppy. And DR Orders beers are also very hoppy & sessionable. Sydney Craft Brew week in Oct !

Haven't tried the IPA myself, but LCPA was a bit of a gateway beer for me (and many others I suspect) to try other craft beers - perhaps this is a more approachable 'IPA' for the masses.

It's interesting looking back over similar threads, especially regarding new IPAs, at how caught up many of us get on style. McLaren Vale IPA for instance perhaps wasn't an IPA, but was a tasty beer and I have a few mates who are now more open to different beers because of it.

Is it a good beer? Sounds like most people are having more than one, so it can't be too bad.

Kev

LC even said it is an approachable IPA in comparison to other IPAs so I dare say it will be a slightly more hoppy version of their Pale Ale

kevo said:
Haven't tried the IPA myself, but LCPA was a bit of a gateway beer for me (and many others I suspect) to try other craft beers - perhaps this is a more approachable 'IPA' for the masses.
There should be no such thing as an "approachable" IPA ! If you want approachable have the pale ale or more so the bright ale. IPA is an IPA. 6.3% abv is not approachable, so why should the hops be light on (if this is the case, I haven't had it yet). The protoype "A very hoppy ale" was very good though. I hope its the same. If its high ABV it better be very bloody hoppy - or my drunkedness will be wasted!

Latest posts

Back