Little Creatures Bright Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've found that Nottingham can subdue hop flavours a touch, which may not be too bad if you're dialling the recipe up to 35ibu; perhaps a touch closer to the original.

I've done Tony's AG recipe a couple of times now without upping the hop quantities and I didn't think it needed more added. That all being said, you'll probably end up with a higher FG than I have, considering you're using extract, so a few more ibu's would help balance that out.

That all being said, it'll turn out a killer brew. Perhaps consider doing two batches of it at once, because believe me, you'll be surprised at how quickly you'll run out of this drop once you crack your first bottle. My first keg of it lasted about 9 days from it first being kegged (and that's only over two sessions with a mate.)

You're spot on about the Nottingham with the hops, it has been on the ferment for 24 hours now and the krausen has a sludgy green top to it. It tasted good, maybe a touch too bitter, that's the problem with home brewing, it changes so much from pre ferment to post ferment that the experiment can kill you waiting.

If it comes out too bitter I think I would ditch either the 20 or 10 min additions or halve both of them.

Cheers.

I bottled this brew (Tony's extract recipe) just under 2 weeks ago, and just cracked one to have a sneak preview.

even at this early stage I can say it was a screaming success. awesome brew!! I'll be doing this one again soon!!!

cheers to Tony and all others who contributed to this thread.

it's going to be very difficult to let these sit and mature in the cupboard.

might just have a second one now to make sure the first one wasn't a fluke....

:)

I lasted two weeks before trying one just a minute ago. God damn, it's by far the best brew I have made so far. Really close to the original and not too bitter at all, I think I'll have to do a side by side on this one. This is definitely going to be made again.

LC Bright Ale Clone

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 3.30
Anticipated OG: 1.046 Plato: 11.52
Anticipated EBC: 7.2
Anticipated IBU: 25.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 45 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
90.9 3.00 kg. Coopers LME - Light Australia 1.038 7
9.1 0.30 kg. Corn Sugar Generic 1.046 0

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
12.00 g. B-Saaz Pellet 6.80 9.4 45 min.
12.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.90 8.2 45 min.
10.00 g. B-Saaz Pellet 6.80 4.2 15 min.
10.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.90 3.7 15 min.
18.00 g. B-Saaz Pellet 6.80 0.0 0 min.
18.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.90 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

US-05

I have based this around 2 x 1.5kg cans of liquid unhopped light malt extract, and some dextrose to lighten the extract and make up the gravity.

Method:

Disolve one of the cans of extract in 14 liters of water in a large pot around the 18 to 20 liter mark. bring to the boil and add the hops as per recipe. Boil it so its rolling but not frothing. you want more that a simmer but less than a big frothing roll that boils over. USe your own judgement on this.

After the 45 min and addition of the flame out hops (0 min) remove from heat and disolve the second can of extract and the Destrose and crash chill in the laundry tub/bath tub by submersing the pot in cold water. Replace the water when it heats up.

Pour it into the fermenter, straining out the hops through a hop sock (ross) or something similar.

Top up with cold water in the fermenter, pitch yeast and keep below 20 deg.

The rest is up to you!

hope this helps a bit

Cheers

Have many people actually used this recipe and gotton a good result? I am about to try it today, but i have some amarillo and citra and galaxy left over...are any of these likely to work ok in this brew? Citra for bitterness has worked well in a few others i have done.

Any other tips or improvements to get a big flavour...eg should i leave all of the hops in the wort and into the fermenter or strain them out first?

Have many people actually used this recipe and gotton a good result? I am about to try it today, but i have some amarillo and citra and galaxy left over...are any of these likely to work ok in this brew? Citra for bitterness has worked well in a few others i have done.

Any other tips or improvements to get a big flavour...eg should i leave all of the hops in the wort and into the fermenter or strain them out first?

yeah, i have had great results with this brew, stuck pretty much to the original recipe, although a couple of times have used a combination of amarilo and simcoe hops instead of the b-saaz due to unavailability.... this works pretty well too.
also i think in the past i've done 2kg lager malt and 1 kg wheat malt (again due to availability)

but I'm putting another one on now as we speak (original recipe), cos my mates drained my keg of it the other night.... very good brew indeed.

Only brewed yesterday but i was amazed how good it tasted already...in the end i only added a about 5g of cascade and 7 or so of citra that i had left...not enough to really change it.

I tipped all of those hops into the fermenter. I dont cold crash or anything, just siphon through a hop sock or something to get all the organic material that doesnt settle out, or does cold crashing even help with the organic stuff in the brew?

Yeah... when you crash chill it. everything kind of stops and settles to the bottom. yeast, hops break and all.

Has anyone made this at Brew By You or a You Brew It?
Id love to make it by my local BOP dont offer it.

Maybe try and find an all grain recipe and send it to them and see if they can do it for you?

Latest posts

Back