Little Creatures Bright Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazz20

Reaction score
Hey all, just wondering if anyone out there has a decent k&k recipe for a little creatures bright ale? Tried a few ideas with cascade and saaz hops, along with a bit of wheat malt and LDME, so far no good, any help would be awesome.
Cheers,

Hazz

Tonys LCBA is apparantly the ducks nuts, but its all grain.....it wouldnt be too hard to convert to extract. But k&k is stretching the friendship......
If you're willing to up to an extract, I'm glad to convert and translate the AG for you.

Hey butters, I was supposed to type in or extract but obviously had too many of the ale in question. That would be great if you've got something up your sleeve.

Hazz

Hey butters, I was supposed to type in or extract but obviously had too many of the ale in question. That would be great if you've got something up your sleeve.

Hazz

no worries, mate. I'll have a look at Tonys recipe (which I must admit, I haven't had. But I can taste it just from reading it, if you know what I mean) and will change it over to an extract for you. Give me a wee bit o' time.

OK hazz,
heres my best effort on conversion. Basically, just so you know, I've taken the recipe and entered it as an all grain, then taken the percentages of the carapils and wheat, and kept them (but changed the carapils for steep instead of mash), the pils and vienna, just converted to ldme in the same ratio....
hopping I'll leave to you, but you will need to chang slightly due to different processes being followed for extract (ie partial boil instead of reducing boil)

so it is as follows.

LDME 3kg (88.5%)
carapils steeped 65C/20mins 500g (5.7%)
dry wheat extract 160g (5.7%)

23L og 1046

boil: never thought to even ask the size of your brewpot!so, calculate off of the hopping in the original recipe, just scaling the values for your BG and volume, so that you hit the required 26 IBU. (note that tonys volume is, I think 50L. so you would have to scale the hops accordingly....if you have any probs with this, let me know (pref tomorrow, when I'm sober) and I'm happy to help. But let me know the max size you can boil, and the AA of your hops, (if you have them, or when you get them) otherwise its just speculation, anyway.

original recipe is here

I suppose my next job is to write an article about how to do an AG/extract conversion, cos I notice there isn't one on here......... ;)

Edit....the more I look at tony's recipe, the more I like it......might have to do this one (AG) myself. And I don't even (usually) like american styles. mmmm

I done the AG last w/end....Hydro samples are yummy..Bottle day Sunday....as Mr Blackboard says.....Hurry Up !
Kudos Tony...awesome recipe.

I done the AG last w/end....Hydro samples are yummy..Bottle day Sunday....as Mr Blackboard says.....Hurry Up !

Tazman, you bugger.....
I was brewing all morning today!!! doing a double batch!! and now you're forcing me to brew tommorrow as well. (thats my excuse, and I'm sticking to it) Well, if you're twisting my arm......... :lol:

Yes, AG to extract article please!

last time you asked for a wee bit of time you only needed forty minutes, so I'm happy to wait a wee bit of time again.

Kev

OK, I'll do one.....I actually have one already written by someone else that I got off of some site or other, which isn't too bad, but I'll actually re write it. It's not that any of the info is actually wrong, it's just a little unclear in parts.

It will take a bit of time, and more than 40 minutes ;) , probably a couple of days at least. I'll put it in as an article, and will start a thread when I do to let you all know.

OK, I'll do one.....I actually have one already written by someone else that I got off of some site or other, which isn't too bad, but I'll actually re write it. It's not that any of the info is actually wrong, it's just a little unclear in parts.

It will take a bit of time, and more than 40 minutes ;) , probably a couple of days at least. I'll put it in as an article, and will start a thread when I do to let you all know.

Come on butters, 40 mins and counting :p

Hey there Butters. Im up for that article. It sounds great.

No pressure of course.......... tick tick tick tick................ ;)
ATOMT

lol....me too and tried my hydro today too and it was nice as

hello again butters,
Trying to use an excel hop calculator thing with not much success. I've got my hands on an 8 litre pot which I hope will do. I'm guessing I'll use saaz and cascade which I haven't got yet, but as you said just speculating. Just trying to figure out how to use this spreadsheet so I can adjust figures, may need a little help...
Thanks again!

Hazz

I have converted this to an extract recipe for a lot of brewers and all love it.

If your using extract...... you wont really need the carapils or wheat. They are there to add body and texture to the beer made with Pilsner malt. Extract will be fuller bodied than a cool mashed pale beer so leave it out. It over complicates the whole process of extract brewing. This should be a simple easy fun process. It should be an introduction into the finer points of brewing. The power you have over the finnished product. An eye opener into the advantages of using un hopped extract and fresh hops.

In any learning process its best to change one thng at a time! That way you lean the effect the change had on the process. Go from cans and a KG to extract and hops. When you have that down pat start steeping some caramalt, crystal, chocolate, roast...... whatever, to make styles like english bitter, porter, stout, irish red, APA.......... you name it.

Then you go to a partial mash, then there is no saving you and it will all be history!

Now to the recipe (that was all a leader into the recipe)

LC Bright Ale Clone

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 3.30
Anticipated OG: 1.046 Plato: 11.52
Anticipated EBC: 7.2
Anticipated IBU: 25.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 45 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
90.9 3.00 kg. Coopers LME - Light Australia 1.038 7
9.1 0.30 kg. Corn Sugar Generic 1.046 0

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
12.00 g. B-Saaz Pellet 6.80 9.4 45 min.
12.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.90 8.2 45 min.
10.00 g. B-Saaz Pellet 6.80 4.2 15 min.
10.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.90 3.7 15 min.
18.00 g. B-Saaz Pellet 6.80 0.0 0 min.
18.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.90 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

US-05

I have based this around 2 x 1.5kg cans of liquid unhopped light malt extract, and some dextrose to lighten the extract and make up the gravity.

Method:

Disolve one of the cans of extract in 14 liters of water in a large pot around the 18 to 20 liter mark. bring to the boil and add the hops as per recipe. Boil it so its rolling but not frothing. you want more that a simmer but less than a big frothing roll that boils over. USe your own judgement on this.

After the 45 min and addition of the flame out hops (0 min) remove from heat and disolve the second can of extract and the Destrose and crash chill in the laundry tub/bath tub by submersing the pot in cold water. Replace the water when it heats up.

Pour it into the fermenter, straining out the hops through a hop sock (ross) or something similar.

Top up with cold water in the fermenter, pitch yeast and keep below 20 deg.

The rest is up to you!

hope this helps a bit

Cheers

2 small additions to my post.

Promash or beersmith costs $20 or so. dont be tight arses

and a 18 to 20 liter pot is under $40 at Big W. I think the warehouse has them too. many better quality ones on line...... a good quality large por will not go wasted in your future brewing persuits!

cheers

Edit: and if you let me know the %AA rating of your cascade and B-Saaz i will check its all good for the recipe in promash.

Tony,
does it matter what kind of LME I use, can I use 2 x Morgans LME cans?

Also, do I have to buy a large pot to be able to boil 20+ liters of water/wort or can I boil say 5 liters of water for an hour with the hops and a can of the LME and then fill up the fermenter with the second can of LME and water to 23 liters?

thanks
Bjorn

Sorry, forgot to ask:

1: Can I skip the corn sugar to get a lower alcohol or does it have another function as well?

2: Not adding any wheat malt, only LME?

It sounds too easy to be true!
Really looking forward to trying this if I can make a LCBA style of beer just with two cans of LME and some hops, that's brilliant.

:D

thanks again,
Bjorn

Has anyone pulled this off? My happiness levels would go up about 35% if I could brew a decent LCBA clone.

I don't really understand much of this post, too many acronyms and abbreviations.

I must admit, I'm a newbie, just using concentrates at the moment with a mix of Dex/LDME.

I made one of these about 3 weeks ago, followed the same hop schedule and basic ingredients as Tony's recipe but added in some dry wheat malt and partially mashed some vienna grain.

Only bottled it last weekend but gave it a taste and it was pretty good, but I can't comment on how close it was to the real McCoy just yet.

I ended up making my own little version of Tony's recipie, scaled it down to 10 liters (I only have a 20 liter pot).
I added some crystal grains and played around with the hops but tried to keep it in the same kind of spirit.

A $20 pot from BigW and 2 kg of grain + some hops was all I needed to try and it was really fun.
Maybe try this rather than the kit version?
My thinking was that this way I end up with only 10 liters in the fermenter if it doesn't work out the first time!
But after 2 weeks in the fermenter I siphoned it into my cube over the weekend it looks like beer and smelled like beer, so I think it will be drinkable either way :)

Latest posts

Back