Little Creatures Brewery On Landline

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I generally agree with wortgames' comments and didn't find them negative.

As craftbrewers, we don't have to get tied up in satisfying shareholders and eeking out avery last schooner of beer from a bag of malt, or using the cheapest hops to gain the right IBU's. The biggest commitment we make to our beers is time, and a few extra dollars spent on a brew is insignificant compared to the time spent.

Brew the best beer you can with the best freshest ingredients you can obtain with the best techniques you can muster and applying all the beer knowledge you have mixed in the brain cells.

If you are kit and kilo, use the best quality kit.

Brew the same beer and try different hops. Try with your favourite high alpha and then do the same recipe with some low alpha hops.

My favourite brews have been using hops that are low alpha European hopped front to back.

Wortgames said:
I think one of the problems is a lack of clearly defined 'Australian' styles that showcases these ingredients - aside from Coopers, I'm not aware of any uniquely Australian quality beer - they are all copies of Euro Pilsners mostly, and the 'ales' we see generally lack ale-ish character (probably 'cleaned up' for the general Aussie palate).
Partly because quite a few of micros here use california steam beer yeast, which is versatile in the sense that you can make ales and lagers with it, but it produces clean beers rather than exciting ones ones.

One final thought regarding pellets - how many of the great beers of the world are made with them? I remember turning up to an early Malt Shovel soiree where they handed round a glass full of pellets and proudly told the audience "this is what hops look like".
[post="59191"][/post]​
There are some great beers made with pellets - I know of one first rate UK micro that uses only pellets in the copper (and whole hops in the hopback). It's quite difficult to find out exactly which quality UK brewers use pellets as CAMRA frowns on them, so brewers don't like to shout about using them (the same applies to sugars). That said, I do think whole hops are preferable for flavour & aroma.

keng11 said:
Yeh it was an interesting segment particularly refering to the number of micro breweries in WA & another 9 to open later this year.
[post="59113"][/post]​

Another 9 micros opening here in Perth later this year? Figures, names, facts? :)

They sure know how to sterilize a needle on a syringe

I'm surprised they still use a blowtorch, though. Bad oc health & safety when a little ethanol will do (hic)

Transcript:
Little Bottler: Landline Transcript

I have also captured it onto my PC.
But at a running time of 8 min 53 it is 23MB for the WMV
version and 90MB for the MPEG-1 (VCD) version.
So I won't be uploading it anywhere.
:(

I agree with Wortgames that Coopers is a great beer. 1000%+ better than VB, XXXX, etc. I always look forward to making up a liquid yeast (or not) with Coopers. It's a shame it's around $5 a tallie up here. :D

bradmcm said:
Transcript:
Little Bottler: Landline Transcript

I have also captured it onto my PC.
But at a running time of 8 min 53 it is 23MB for the WMV
version and 90MB for the MPEG-1 (VCD) version.
So I won't be uploading it anywhere.
:(
[post="59313"][/post]​

Problem solved - just use divx, should get it down smaller - if you need to release it out, use a torrent site maybe? :)

Yeah, I did watch it, but they do not say who is planning to open micros, where they are, what they are, when etc etc...I'm more interested in the finer details, and I am sure that there are probably some that are being quiet - but they didnt come up with the "eight or nine" figure out of nowhere - which is why I am curious :)

I believe a lot of the new ones will be wineries in the Swan Valley that have decided to tack a brewery on the end to pick up extra trade.

From memory.. (brunken ramblings @ WA Beer week)

Bridgetown
Pemberton
Cowaremup another pub by the colonial boys
Swan Valey another independent brewery just down the road from the Duckstein

Nail Ale moving to a winery in Margaret River
Duckstein Bought another micro and opening up a pub in MR of a winery

Asher for now...

Asher said:
From memory.. (brunken ramblings @ WA Beer week)
Swan Valey another independent brewery just down the road from the Duckstein
[post="59361"][/post]​

That one could be Elmars the german butchers from opposite the Queens in Highgate, they have opened a place in the Swan valley which has a micro in it.

Cheers Ausdb

Yep thats the one.... Two German pubs in stumbling distance....

Wooohooo! :beerbang: :party: :super:

Gage Roads Brewing will be kicking off soon and being sold in pubs. I believe it will only be a bottled/kegged beer produced in Palmayra area somewhere, not drink at the brewery. The brewers are experienced ex sail and anchor, so it could well be very good. Anyone seen it out yet?

cheers.

Asher said:
Yep thats the one.... Two German pubs in stumbling distance....

Wooohooo! :beerbang:
[post="59375"][/post]​

Sounds like reason enough for a aussiehomebrewer reconaissance mission one weekend!!! :beer: :beer:

ausdb said:
[
Sounds like reason enough for a aussiehomebrewer reconaissance mission one weekend!!! :beer: :beer:
[post="59382"][/post]​

Cycling distance from Perth too! Swan valley brew pub cycle tour anyone?

Guest Lurker said:
ausdb said:
[
[post="59382"][/post]​

Cycling distance from Perth too! Swan valley brew pub cycle tour anyone?
[post="59384"][/post]​

hahaha, if you're an insane cyclist that is - its still a fair ways out, not to mention the wobbly ride home hahaha.

Lookin forward to trying Gage roads actually - and I wish the Feral pilsener was in more pubs around town.

Wish the Feral white was in bottles as well, whats takin them so long hahaha

hahaha, if you're an insane cyclist that is
Depends what you mean by insane.... I just fitted a carbon fibre stubbie holder to my pub bike....

I wish the Feral pilsener was in more pubs around town.
Wish the Feral white was in bottles as well, whats takin them so long hahaha

Its a pkolsch..... not a pilsner if you know what I mean ;) (finger taps nose).
Try fermenting massive amounts of WLP029 @ around 12deg... very Organic :ph34r:

Asher for now B)

Latest posts

Back