Liquid Yeast And Aussie Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reviled

Reaction score
Hey guys

Im nearing placing an order for all of my kegging gear through Craftbrewer and was having a think about it, I may as well get a few liquid yeasts and some decent Aussie hops while im at it... To save on postage of course :rolleyes:

So what I would like is some suggestions, firstly on say, 3 good liquid yeasts to have on board, I mainly do dark beers and hoppy Pale Ales, and the odd english beer, and am probably looking for something to give my beers a bit more character... What would you guys suggest? Is there 3 liquid yeasts any of you use religously?

Also, hop wise, basically, can pretty much get bugger all here in NZ at the mo (blasted hop shortage :angry: ) so im thinking Chinook cos ive never tried them, and also Galaxy (which sounds like it would be tops in an APA along with some Amarillo).. Anyone got any other good ideas on some great aussie hops? (not pride of ringwood :p )

Cheers guys

Y yeast 1056 American Ale for your pales. I've also used it in a Russian Imperial Stout, did an excellent job.

Y yeast 1056 American Ale for your pales. I've also used it in a Russian Imperial Stout, did an excellent job.

Whats the character of 1056 like? Similair to US-05 or way different?

Have you tried calling NZ Hops ?

Nah I just deal with Mike and hes having issues getting stuff in, like EKG for example... I wasnt aware you could buy vacuum packs straight from NZ hops?

It's the same strain

Same strain :huh: So what can I get out of the liquid version that I cant out of the dried?

Also, was just having a look through the website (maybe I should direct this q to Ross?) but noticed he has double 12g packs of dried yeasts that seem to be the same strains as most of the liquid ones, but at a cheaper price... Whats the deal with these? Are these yeasts that Ross has dried out himself and prepackaged? And again, what advantages do liquids have over the same strain of dried yeast??

With the American yeast, I would actually recommend 1272. It floc's way better than 1056. If you ferment low you get a nice citrus flavour, ferment high and get hop bitterness/flavour.

That being said, I brew a lot of American style ales (amber, pale and IPA) and have both 1272 and 1056 in liquid form. Have a few sachets of US-05 as backup for starter issues and I'm good to go for pretty much forever.

I have an Irish Ale yeast cultered that I haven't used since I split off the batch... Just don't brew enough of them.

Good luck with the decision, but I would recommend getting liquid yeasts that suit your style of brewing, it will be more economical that way.

Cheers!

Whats the character of 1056 like? Similair to US-05 or way different?
Very similar, if not slightly better (cleaner) than US-05.
Just FYI, US-05 used to be called US-56, (for obvious reasons) until WYeast took Fermentis to court, resulting in the name change.

I'd also agree with WY1056 for American Ales.
I'd also recommend something like WYeast 1318 (London III) for English Ales, Bitters, etc.
Also, if you have good temperature control, and would like to brew good lagers, then any of the lager strains (2206, 2278, 2042, 2124, etc. etc.)
are good choices. If you are keen to make a lager-style beer, but can't manage a stable 10-12deg, then the 2112 Californian lager strain is a bit more temperature tolerant (works up to 18deg).

Hops, well the range and variety of NZ hops is fantastic these days, particularly with the ability to use flower hops instead of pellets.
There again, the choice depends on what you want to brew...

Nah I just deal with Mike and hes having issues getting stuff in, like EKG for example... I wasnt aware you could buy vacuum packs straight from NZ hops?

Sure, call or email and ask for a price list, ask for local and imports.

for pommy ales my fav so far is 1187...
hops: if you go the chinook road, don't over do it, i've heard it can be quite overpowering...

Very similar, if not slightly better (cleaner) than US-05.
Just FYI, US-05 used to be called US-56, (for obvious reasons) until WYeast took Fermentis to court, resulting in the name change.

I'd also agree with WY1056 for American Ales.
I'd also recommend something like WYeast 1318 (London III) for English Ales, Bitters, etc.
Also, if you have good temperature control, and would like to brew good lagers, then any of the lager strains (2206, 2278, 2042, 2124, etc. etc.)
are good choices. If you are keen to make a lager-style beer, but can't manage a stable 10-12deg, then the 2112 Californian lager strain is a bit more temperature tolerant (works up to 18deg).

Hops, well the range and variety of NZ hops is fantastic these days, particularly with the ability to use flower hops instead of pellets.
There again, the choice depends on what you want to brew...

Nothing else needs to be said.

Rook

na go your hardest with Chinook, breat bittering and flavor hop

So does anyone know about the craftbrewer twin packs of dried yeasts?

As far as I can tell, their just repackaged versions of the Fermentis range of dried yeasts (i.e. Ross buys them in bulk then then splits them into 12g portions)...

EDIT: Damn... beaten to the punch....

I've used the swiss lager dried yeast. I believe they are just repackaged from bulk packs into the 12g size.

They work well, but I only really used dry yeast for backup.

Cheers.

But theyre all liquid yeast strains, ive never seem them dried before... So if its the same yeast, im still struggling to justify spending more on a liquid version??

when you get into higher gravity beers the liquid yeast makes more sense. Using liquid yeasts and starters is worth the extra stuffing around and cost, especially if you repitch you yeast cake for 2 or 3 beers.

Latest posts

Back