Liquid Vs Dry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disco_tezz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

As the topic above suggest, I am wondering which will make a better Brew when doing a full extract beer?

is there a benifit of using a combination of the 2, or is it best just to stick to the one type of malt for the beer.

Hi Guys,

As the topic above suggest, I am wondering which will make a better Brew when doing a full extract beer?

is there a benifit of using a combination of the 2, or is it best just to stick to the one type of malt for the beer.

Basically no difference between liquid & dry, But there are different brands of malt, of varying quality. A decent HBS should be able to advise you accordingly.

Cheers Ross

Once upon a time the quality of dry was appalling, to say the least.
While I only have limited experience with dry yeasts, they are infinetly better these days, and the choice of strains is getting better.

The main reason I use liquids more often than not is that I can get ANY yeast strain for a given specific style, whereas dry yeasts are only available in a few strains. As I'm a microbiologist I then subculture the yeast strains and the higher cost of liquid yeasts ends up being no issue.

Some dry yeast strains are reputed to be very good. I have only used US-05 and S-04, and I am happy with both of them. I hear S-189 is great for lagers. I also hear the new WB-06 is pretty good for weizens.

MFS

I think its about malt. :) I always thought liquid extract was better, dunno why tho lol. my 2c.

Think we are talking malt. :)
Have used both dry and wet malt extract and can say that I can't taste any difference in the final brew. Dry malt is a pain if you are outside doing the boil as the slightest breeze while adding it , will blow the bloody stuff everywhere except in the boiler. :angry:

as long as its brewers malt and not biscuit or bakers malt there should be no probs either way.

cheers
Redgums

IMHO there's no real difference. But you need to use about 20-30% more liquid malt than dry to achieve the same wort gravity.

Ahhhh... my mistake!

I've used both and if the malt extract is fresh, I've found no difference. However, dry keeps better, and liquid goes stale. Beware of the dusty can of liquid ME sitting in the old dark corner of your homebrew shop...:)

Basically no difference between liquid & dry, But there are different brands of malt, of varying quality. A decent HBS should be able to advise you accordingly.

Cheers Ross

I have never seen any choice of brands when it come to dry malt extract,

yes try and see if there's a date on the can anywhere, an old can will have a bad effect on your beer, but when fresh i couldnt taste any difference between dry and liquid.

If buying bulk, DME is the way to go. Stores easier, measures easier. Just make sure you get a good price. Some HBS's try and mark up 20 kilo bags like they're selling you 20x1kg bags.

Ive been relistening to some of the past Basic Brewing pod casts the last few weeks, and in two of the early episodes there were a couple with interviews with a guy called Bob Hansen from Briess Malt. He had some good info on liquid v dry. Worth a listen. From memory it boiled down to liquid is OK but get it fresh as it can age in the can, (gets darker with age as well) which will affect beer colour. Dry of course is nice and stable. If you want hopped extract then liquid is the only option as the drying process drives off the hops bitterness, flavour and aroma.

BBR 25th may 05http://www.basicbrewing.com/radio/mp3/bbr08-25-05.mp3

BBR 17th Nov 05http://www.basicbrewing.com/radio/mp3/bbr11-17-05.mp3

thing i use to hate about DME was when pouring it into a pot and steam just a tiny bit of steam would get into the opening of the bag and BAM! sticky dry malt everywhere in the bag.

thing i use to hate about DME was when pouring it into a pot and steam just a tiny bit of steam would get into the opening of the bag and BAM! sticky dry malt everywhere in the bag.
yeh but liquid malt is also damn messy if you dont need a full can. i guess its a case of both having pros and cons. I use mostly dry. easy to store and buy in bulk. liquid in bulk would suck.

The only real difference I found was in the color.
The dry one was heaps lighter but tasted the same.

And the DME was caramelizing when I put too much at a time in. But the floating rocks taste nice :D

I did that with my first brew using any malt, i just dumped a kilo straight into the fermenter after putting my hot liquid in. It took me a good 15min to stir in all the lumps :p

Latest posts

Back