Liquid in micromatic regulator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ces

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So... not stoked with myself. I'm very new to kegging. Two kegs carbed up at this point and my inexperience was obvious in what I just did.

Thought I had read a lot about setting up a kegging system but didn't come across the idea of a non-return valve until ater I had all the other gear and 2 brews just about ready to tap. Thought I'd just run with it for a bit and tapped the fully carbed first keg. Went beautifully. Drank a little of it and then transferred my gas line to the other keg to finish carbing.

It should be done now, so i thought I'll un-hook this second one now and enjoy a couple of schooners of the first again... but I better get back down to serving pressure first....

Should've unhooked it before i reduced the pressure as the carb up pressure pushed the second brew back-up the gas line and into my regulator!!! not a mistake I will forget and half a second's thought before hand would have revealed this to be the obvious outcome...

Anyway, now that my reg has been drenched by beer is it ruined? If not what do I need to do now to preserve it?

What a dickhead? :lol: :lol:

Any and all help, appreciated.

Cheers guys,

Ces.

I haven't done it, but no one else is probably going to give you advice at this hour haha.

From what I've read as long as you take it apart and clean it under warm water, dry and reassemble you should be good to go. Most people seem to say they're not too complicated.

Because you noticed right away it should be fine because there hasn't been enough time for anything to corrode.

Ps. Check valve. Line splitter or manifold. Extra disconect(s). Set and forget. No more dramas.

Thanks mate. Currently doing my best to pull it apart. Would've ordered the non-return valve straight up but followed heaps of yank videos that didn't mention it once. Then when I saw it on the craftbrewer site when looking for other stuff I thought I would wait a few weeks while I enjoyed my first kegged brews.

Oh well... will sort it out as soon as possible

agree with above, if all else fails kits are available from craft brewer.

Beer should be fine.
Regulator requires cleaning:
(Disclaimer do this at your own risk)
1 Mount it to your co2 cylinder (turn it OFF!) Or vice.
2 wind the pressure all the way back and ensure all the co2 is drained.
3 using a big nutrounder (shifter) unscrew the front section of the regulator (where you wind to adjust the pressure).
Observe the way the spring and brass bit come out because they have to go back in that way.
4 remove the diaphram (large round rubber bit with the brass in the middle of it).
5 there is another valve that when in operation is pushed by the sprung diaphragm and let's gas through pending the set pressure, this is in the guts of the regulator. this is the crutial part that must be cleaned.

6 clean everything, don't get the gauges wet unless you want to pull then appart to dry them.

7 reassemble. I apply a verry light smear of keglube to the diaphram with the hope it will last longer. (Don't know if it dose)

Back