Liquid Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1mL/10L is the dosage rate so 1.9mLs should do a corny.

Although they do mention tasting but its hard without proper micro measurements.

I'd just go 1 ml and then double it if you need more

Yob said:
how old is it?
??!!

The liquid hops are new and unopened as far as I know.
The beer is fermented and is in a cube waiting for kegging 2 weeks in fermenter and 3 days in cube.

My intention is to filter and keg the brew and add the liquid hop to the keg just prior to carbonating.

Dunkelbrau said:
1mL/10L is the dosage rate so 1.9mLs should do a corny.
Although they do mention tasting but its hard without proper micro measurements.
I'd just go 1 ml and then double it if you need more
I did do a calculation and came up with a figure of 1.8mls per 19 litres but I wasn't totally sure I was correct.
My thoughts wer 2 mls in the keg and "suck it and see"

dicko said:
??!!

The liquid hops are new and unopened as far as I know.
The beer is fermented and is in a cube waiting for kegging 2 weeks in fermenter and 3 days in cube.

My intention is to filter and keg the brew and add the liquid hop to the keg just prior to carbonating.
If they are those little vials, Id ask what year the can was divided... I ask this as when I used some and then queried, it wasnt the current season stock is all.

Im thinking (hard) of doing similar experiments and have been talking to many people about this stuff... what flavor?

They're not made using the same base product from those tins are they?? Tetra or iso extracted oils are basically for bittering right and the fore mentioned are made with propylene glycol (fake fog, food dye thinner) and concentrate on aroma and flavours..... Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yob, I have a "Citrus" vial that I was going to use in the Pale Ale and I have a "Saaz" that I was going to put into a Pils but just as a test for added aroma. Probably a similar experiment to what you may be contemplating!

BottloBill, you are correct as far as I can determine. I have taken that information from the link to the product above.
From the link:
Liquid Hops are prepared from hop cones by specific extraction & distillation methods. They consist of original hop oil compounds in an aqueous propylene glycol (PG) solution. PG is a registered food additive according to EC directive 95/2/EC as E 1520.

Yob, I am not aware that thes products have a "use by" date and the product I have has no date on the label as far as I can see.

Cheers

Nor did the one I've still got 3ml of sitting in the fridge mate, hence my query, pretty sure that all hop products have a best by. I'll shoot an email off today to the dude I've been talking with about thi Subject.

Dosage rates on a hb scale is a bit of a mystery, we're trying to get to the bottom of it. I'm under the impression that it's not cold added, will include this question in my email for clarity.

I stand by to be corrected on many fronts ;)

Thanks Yob.

This stuff is probably not something that I would use regularly and I only bought some to "try it out" so to speak,but this pale ale I made may lend itself to some improvement if the description of the product is accurate.
I would appreciate some accurate info if you can get it.

Cheers

It says on the original link that its life is 12 months once opened.

It also says about it lasting "the life of the beer" in the bottle.. Which could be specified as 9-12 months from date of packaging.

I'd go 1ml and then bump it up, but if you just go 2mls then I'm sure it will be fine, the dosage rate wouldnt give more than would be palatable on a mass scale.

Dunkelbrau said:
It says on the original link that its life is 12 months once opened.
It also says about it lasting "the life of the beer" in the bottle.. Which could be specified as 9-12 months from date of packaging.
I'd go 1ml and then bump it up, but if you just go 2mls then I'm sure it will be fine, the dosage rate wouldnt give more than would be palatable on a mass scale.
Thanks for that info mate.

I calculated the 1.8ml per 19 litre keg from the addition recommended for a 330ml bottle and then figured that there is 57 bottles in a corny and multiplied the bottle amount which gave me my answer.

The beer I want to add it to is in a cube in my conditioning "freezer" set at a chilling -1 deg c.
My thoughts were to add the extract at time of kegging and after I have filtered but before I have carbonated it.

I hope Yob can return with the real facts on how to use this gear, or maybe Ross or a micro that has used it would contribute. :)

From previous discussions Dicko, usually the whole can is thrown in the kettle (commercially)

I've a feeling it needs to be added to hot solution to permeate throughout.. When I played with it, I also added cold and was a bit meh on the whole thing, I did feel that the age and the way I used it may have been an issue though, that's the reason behind my current investigation.

Will definitely get back to you with any info I can glean

Yob said:
One may well argue that it's been opened from its native packaging to be put into the vials.
correct Yob! I believe there is a similar thread about repackaged yeast a few months back.....under what environment it's transferred and so on. The oils are mentioned to have a shelf life of 24 months in original packaging and unknown after transfer to other packaging......

I used a vial of liquid saaz a few years ago to boost a Bo Pils and it imparted very little flavour. I seem to remember that the vial was a few years old but can't remember where that was stated. I'd chuckled in the whole vial.

Yob said:
Ive emailed these questions off, will add more when I have a response.

:beer:
Thanks mate

:beer:

I've been thinking about this one too in an attempt to make an Aussie mega swill for a good mate who's a Carlton Dry devotee. I've been thinking of going complete mega on it -
  1. JW pils, handful of light crystal, acidulated, 20% sugaz
  2. High gravity brew to 1.070-odd, ferment 10l.
  3. Drying enzyme :angry2:
  4. Polyclar to the max
  5. Rack into boiled water + PoR hop extract to fill a 19l keg
Makes me want to fight a postbox just thinking about it. I think the hop extract would be essential for the aroma and twang synonymous with pub beer.

Bribie G said:
I used a vial of liquid saaz a few years ago to boost a Bo Pils and it imparted very little flavour. I seem to remember that the vial was a few years old but can't remember where that was stated. I'd chuckled in the whole vial.
Bribie G, did you add it to the kettle or to the finished beer??

Latest posts

Back