Liquid Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheWiggman said:
I've been thinking about this one too in an attempt to make an Aussie mega swill for a good mate who's a Carlton Dry devotee. I've been thinking of going complete mega on it -

• JW pils, handful of light crystal, acidulated, 20% sugaz
  • High gravity brew to 1.070-odd, ferment 10l.
  • Drying enzyme :angry2:
  • Polyclar to the max
  • Rack into boiled water + PoR hop extract to fill a 19l keg
Makes me want to fight a postbox just thinking about it. I think the hop extract would be essential for the aroma and twang synonymous with pub beer.
I had a similar thought some time ago but then came to my senses. :)

I think that the mega breweries use Isohop which, if I understand correctly, is not the same product that Yob and I are playing with.

I just could not spend 6 hours making a beer that tastes like West End Draught :) :)

Isohop is a different fraction of hop extract and is pure bittering.
There's a common misapprehension that breweries just use isohop but their extracts are quite varied. For example VB and Melbourne Bitter start as the same beer but are dressed differently with caramels and hop extracts. MB actually has some hop aroma.
I tipped the saaz into the keg.

I have to agree with that completely Bribie G, there certainly is some hop aroma in both those beers (MB in spades). Nothing like a US hop like Cascade or Amarillo though, balls-and-all Pride of Ringwood. I call it 'the stink' and I've struggled to match it with kettle hopping. My Aussie lagers have had a quite bland aroma but when you taste it you know the PoR is in there.

Ive always been confused about these hop extracts sold to homebrewers.

Last year Garage Project made the all extract (both malt and hops) Mecha Hop with "Warrior, Amarillo and Simcoe liquid CO2 hop extracts" - It had huge punch-in-your-face hop flavor and aroma.

My understanding was that the ones I have seen sold on the homebrew level are just bitterness in a vial - Do these actually give you hop flavor and aroma? And if you use them in the boil will they act as hops do and get more bitter over time? and more flavour aroma late in the boil?

Bribie G said:
Isohop is a different fraction of hop extract and is pure bittering.
There's a common misapprehension that breweries just use isohop but their extracts are quite varied. For example VB and Melbourne Bitter start as the same beer but are dressed differently with caramels and hop extracts. MB actually has some hop aroma.
I tipped the saaz into the keg.
Bribie, you said in your first post in this topic that the addition made no real difference to flavour, but did it give your beer any more aroma or will I be adding this stuff just to get rid of the little bottle and $7.50 of my "hard earned"

The spiel from the above link says not to add it to beer that has an aroma hop addition of what I assume would be ordinary flowers or pellets.

RobW said:
No laughing matter that.
:ph34r:
Bloody tablet, have some way to go yet. I'm back on the PC now.
Problem with tablets with the pop up screen keyboard is that they don't respect 80 WPM touch typists like moi. Need to get a bluetooth kit.

For example if you ask me to point out where K is on any keyboard it takes me a few seconds to find it, but my finger goes straight kkkk to it.

end rant.

Now, I didn't get much aroma, flavour or anything out of the vial. When I sniffed it I expected it would smell like a dozen Pilsener Urquells being opened at once, but no such luck. So I do indeed wonder if staleness was the cause.

Hey Yob,

Did you ever hear back from your man about this gear??

Cheers

Yob said:
No dammit, I didn't, saw this and it reminded me, will see if I can get him on the phone tmoz
Dont bust a nut mate.....when you can will be fine. :D

Just got the word.

Needs to be diffused in alcohol, like a vodka or some such or it wont permeate, could explain why I had some poor results.

Apparently its "very" stable, samples over 10 years old show little sign of degradation.

Conversation certainly says that further experimentation is worthwhile.

Nothing on dosage rates.

Yob said:
Just got the word.

Needs to be diffused in alcohol, like a vodka or some such or it wont permeate, could explain why I had some poor results.

Apparently its "very" stable, samples over 10 years old show little sign of degradation.

Nothing on dosage rates.
would it be fair to say if left to sit long enough in a basic brew that permeability is possible to a degree if not completely?

Dunno mate, what I understand is that it needs the alcohol to "unlock it" for want of a better description

Experiment we must, maybe the the level of alcohol percentage used will unlock a certain amount of flavour/aroma. I am more questioning the description given about adding it directly to the bottle, inverting and allowing it to sit for an x amount of time, be it 10 minutes or so then consuming, this according to the manufacturer is the purpose of use.

Yob said:
Just got the word.

Nothing on dosage rates.
Thanks Yob,

That is a start, will give it a run in a little alcohol into the keg, but I will have a taste before I add it so I can determine how it worked.....or didnt. :)
Thanks Yob...

Latest posts

Back