Liquid Hops - Any Experience?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjhansford

Reaction score
I'm putting together my first order with Ross for 2010 and I see he's got a range of Liquid Hop Extract that can be added to a finished beer to enhance aroma and taste. Has anyone tried any of these? If so ... what's the go! :unsure:

Garry :icon_cheers:

I'm putting together my first order with Ross for 2010 and I see he's got a range of Liquid Hop Extract that can be added to a finished beer to enhance aroma and taste. Has anyone tried any of these? If so ... what's the go! :unsure:

Garry :icon_cheers:

After saying I'd never use them, I'll be getting the Cascade extract to try and put some aroma into beers using Chinese cascade and rescue the current keg from aroma boredom.

I've never tried them, but next time I do an Aus Standard Lager I'll do a hopless boil and ferment and add a vial of POR before kegging / bottling same as Fosters do. As a sole hop, I suppose you'd add the whole 5 ml?

I've never tried them, but next time I do an Aus Standard Lager I'll do a hopless boil and ferment and add a vial of POR before kegging / bottling same as Fosters do. As a sole hop, I suppose you'd add the whole 5 ml?

Bribie wouldnt you need to have a bittering hop addition?? Aren't these just for aroma?

Brad

Pretty sure CB has IsoHop... Im still rinsing it from my mouth :p

No experience here but I wouldnt say no to using them if a batch didnt turn out how you wanted it.

And the aroma is substandard in my opinion (unless you like a "perfume" smell to your beer).

cheers

Darren

Yes I wasn't aware that POR was ever used for aroma, it's more the iso that I'm after. I wonder if you can still get this stuff that Carlton used to put out for Pacific Islands breweries etc?

cans8.jpg

And the aroma is substandard in my opinion (unless you like a "perfume" smell to your beer).

cheers

Darren

So you've tried it? And the aroma was noticably like any other flavour/aroma extract addition (I've tried Hazelnut extract in a brown ale and it was a 'perfume' like result, not well integrated, kinda 'sat on top' of the beer ... everyone who tried it said "You've added extract haven't you!")?

Yes I wasn't aware that POR was ever used for aroma, it's more the iso that I'm after. I wonder if you can still get this stuff that Carlton used to put out for Pacific Islands breweries etc?

View attachment 34316

NZ Hops do CO2 hop extract http://www.nzhops.co.nz/products/co2_hop_extract.html

Never used it, in fact never seen it available (but then I haven't been looking).

I'm reading Brew Like A Monk at the moment, and Hieronymus reckons Chimay, Orval & Westvleteren all use hop extracts. So for bittering at least it seems hop extracts are no barrier to making a widely appreciated beverage :icon_cheers:

I've only heard bad things about iso hops, so yep I too would be very interested in someone who has actually used them.

QldKev

Latest posts

Back