lion keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flymanor

Reaction score
hey guys,

have recently (legally) acquired a lion keg with the intention to turn it into a boiler. how do i release the pressure before grinding it, without a coupler? it has a triangle etched into the valve surrounded by a rubber washer. see photo
Any ideas?

thanks WIN_20140227_174053.JPG

My old man borrowed a coupler from his bthat?? club when I converted my (legally obtained) keg. If You know anyone who could help you like that?

Otherwise, will a screw driver depress the valve?

Ok here we go.

Lay the keg in its side
Straddle the keg with a flat blade screw driver in hand.
Gentle wedge screw driver in between the centre pin and the rubber.
Push it and a slightly twist it until you hear gas eacaping.
Wait until all pressure is released.

If you want to remove the spike, use a pair of multi grips and clap them onto the centre pin and twist (can't remember which way) until centre pin and rubber seal drop down a bit.

Next part either a big pair of multi grips or (what worked for me) an angle grinder chuck key.

Turn the outer head anti clock wise.

Crack a home brew and have a nice day.

get a socket that fits the rubber ring and "over the triangle bit" and use a T bar to push down the socket and the rubber ring

cover the whole lot with a old towel so you dont get wet.....

I wouldn't worry too much about pulling the spear out. Since you're already releasing the pressure, just cut the top out from there.
If you're worried about it gaining pressure through temperature changes, drill a hole in the top. That way whoever does the cutting knows that they are working with a de-pressurized keg.
cheers

Latest posts

Back