Lion introduces "Tap King" - party keg / growlers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found the o ring would be shagged out when the bottle is taken off, in all cases the o ring has returned back to its normal size. Their size seems to be dependant on temperature or something, after a good wash and reassemble a few days later they've always been back to normal. Strangely I was given bottles were the o ring was shagged out, after a full dismantle of the head and wash in hot water, the o ring had returned to normal size by the next day. I've got 16 bottles and no issues so far.

according to the post below, the o-ring becomes saturated with gas. Thats what could be happening here

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/75424-using-8g-co2-soda-bulbs-in-your-tap-king/?p=1090193

Sent from my iPad using Aussie Home Brewer

I just bottled some of my latest batch into my TK bottle, and I noticed when I inverted it that a tiny drip of beer escaped through the hole where the beer line comes from inside the bottle. Will this mean that it isn't sealed completely and therefore won't carb in the bottle? Is the "lid over the lid" when you first buy them some sort of seal against it de-gassing? There weren't any leaks anywhere else in it, just from that hole. :unsure:

My guess would be a missing spring or valve in the lid causing the problem.

The only real use for the top cover is to keep muck out of the beer/gas connections.
They are also good for labelling I suppose.

Hmm. Well I know there was no missing parts anywhere. I put the two springs in their holes in the part that holds the CO2 canister and put those little plastic things on top and then put the top section over this and pushed down to keep it in place. Maybe I put those plastic things in the wrong way around. I had them in so that the smaller end went into the springs and the larger end facing up. Is that right or does the large end go into the springs? I can't remember which way they were when I took it apart.

Sounds like you got it right.
I think maybe something like a hair could cause the same problem.

Worst case you'll have to by a fresh bottle.

Fair enough. Oh well I guess I'll just have to wait and see whether the bottle goes hard over the next week or two and figure it out then. I'm close to Dans so getting a new bottle won't be a problem... drinking the crap in it might be though. :lol:

Actually, I take all that back. The bottle is already feeling harder than when I filled it yesterday, tried the invert test again and this time no leaks anywhere. I'm thinking that little drip yesterday might have just been a bit of sanitizer that I sprayed on it prior to filling. :)

Woolworths opp Town Hall Syd have the head unit for $16.50 (1st floor).

I Was in liqourland Wangaratta yesterday they were selling a heap of the tap king bottles at 50% off. 10 bucks for the crappier beers per bottle and 18 bucks for the golden ale or boags premium. They must not be moving as well as lion hoped. At least in Wangaratta anyhow. Haven't seen this elsewhere, not that I've looked.

The ezy chargers website has some new 12g CO2 chargers up. http://www.ezychargers.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=51&products_id=583

Apparently they are the exact same as the ones that come in the Tap King bottles: "Ezychargers CO2 chargers food grade are filled with 100% pure CO2. This is the same charger, made by the same manufacture for the Tap King system. Ideal for re-gassing your Tap King for your home brew."

I have just placed an order.

primusbrew said:
The ezy chargers website has some new 12g CO2 chargers up. http://www.ezychargers.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=51&products_id=583

Apparently they are the exact same as the ones that come in the Tap King bottles: "Ezychargers CO2 chargers food grade are filled with 100% pure CO2. This is the same charger, made by the same manufacture for the Tap King system. Ideal for re-gassing your Tap King for your home brew."

I have just placed an order.
I just ordered 100 of them.

At $9.50 I might just stock up on a few of these bottles, tip the contents into a keg then refill with homebrew for Chrissy parties and the lids are new .

image.jpg

Wow has anyone seen this stuff going cheap in Townsville? I have looked around without success

I saw them cheap in liqourland, the stickers on bradsbrew's one is a liqourland sticker. I'd start at liqourland.

Just got 2 boxes of 2 for $17.50 a box, yep $8.75 for 3.2L bottle. Silly thing is I just paid $5.20 for a schooner at the bar with dinner. The guy at the bottlo was adamant that I need a tap unit to use the bottles. I was so close to showing him that It is just a big stubbie and the lid comes off easily, but I will wait until I grab a few more bottles on Friday before heading home.

Well my first foray into using home brew in these things was mostly a success. I did have a couple of minor issues, firstly even though the bottle was rock hard, the beer wasn't very carbonated. Secondly, it did start to spring a bit of a leak through the CO2 canister hole, nothing dramatic and the bottle didn't really lose any hardness. I'm wondering if this was due to too much pressure buildup, though my priming rate for the batch only worked out at about 16g in the TK bottle, a bit over 5g/L.
But next time I use it I am gonna try chilling down and carefully pouring already carbed beer into it and sealing it up, sticking it in the fridge for half an hour or so to get it back to fridge temp then hooking it up to the dispenser to see how that method goes.

Latest posts

Back