Lion introduces "Tap King" - party keg / growlers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
had this argument before.
it depends on what you believe.
personally i believe that it will reabsorb some but it wont be a huge amount but may put your calculations out if your dont factor it in.

as the solubility of gas is affected by three things time, pressure and temp.
adjusting one will result in a change of the solubility figure.

saying that it will only absorb whats in the headspace and then out of the atmosphere.

From what I understand cold beer retains more CO2, I'm not an expert so I'm sure someone else will enlighten us further. Just going by what Promash is telling me.

barls said:
had this argument before.
it depends on what you believe.
personally i believe that it will reabsorb some but it wont be a huge amount but may put your calculations out if your dont factor it in.

as the solubility of gas is affected by three things time, pressure and temp.
adjusting one will result in a change of the solubility figure.

saying that it will only absorb whats in the headspace and then out of the atmosphere.
I would have thought it depended on science. Not that I'm claiming to know what the science is.

JustAdam said:
Update to this, the barbed fitting to get to replace the MFL on the mini regulator is a 1/8 BSP male to 6mm tail. Apparently it is an air compressor part, so you can pick it up from a tool store that deals with them for a couple of bucks, or, so I am told from Autobarn for $7.
Legend, thanks. I'm going to give this conversion a run at some stage too.

Not wanting to prolong the OT-ness, but I figured I still had yeasties eating sugars after it had been at a warmer temperature, still generating alcohol and CO2. :)

Adr_0 said:
Not wanting to prolong the OT-ness, but I figured I still had yeasties eating sugars after it had been at a warmer temperature, still generating alcohol and CO2. :)
Totally agree with you in that regard. It is kind of off topic, but people need to work out their own priming rates depending on their own expected outcomes.
One size does not fit all.

I just thought I'd chime in with my recent TK adventures.

Today I returned my second head unit in as many days. The first one had a defect with the base plate and drip tray, and the replacement had no tap. Both were in boxes with no damage and the seals were intact.

Even the new one, which is working fine, has two of the TK logo disks in the pack. WTF? Poor form for a new product release.

I've got to say I would've been pretty pissed off if I didn't already have a modified unit that works.

Has anyone else had major problems with the units failing or being incomplete? I already know of a few others.

Mickcr250 said:
Pretty sure that barb fitting should be jic not bsp thread
Are you guys talking about the thread on the mini regulator that the 16g CO2 cartridges screw into?

Hi Guys,
The TK bottles are made with a blend of PET and Nylon on the inside and outsides surfaces with a layer of (just) nylon up the middle.If you can manage to sacrifice an empty, its possible to separate the layers at the just nylon junction.

This blend is the cause of the labels lifting the surface of the bottle when its removed, does not happen with just PET.

Adr_0, love you work on the various pressures from the on-board regulator.

As an experiment I filled a TK bottle with HB and using a cap with a new 12g CO2 bulb in place, attached this to a modified dispenser, one with the regulator outside, popped it in the fridge for a week to slow charge.
Tested after 7 days, got 2 perfect pours before it ran out of gas, we all know where it goes from here, slower and slower pours and flat beer.
What I did learn was that 16g is enough to not only carbonate these bottles but it should, in theory, dispense it as well.
May not be enough for the wheat beer lovers but for the rest of us, it may just work.
Time for some more fun testing the theory, where else can you get an education and an inebriation at the same time?

Food for thought,
The Keg Guy

keg guy said:
Hi Guys,
The TK bottles are made with a blend of PET and Nylon on the inside and outsides surfaces with a layer of (just) nylon up the middle.If you can manage to sacrifice an empty, its possible to separate the layers at the just nylon junction.

This blend is the cause of the labels lifting the surface of the bottle when its removed, does not happen with just PET.

The Keg Guy
Holy moly Batman! I just cut one up to see what you meant KG.

You have to wonder if Loin Nathan have really made these bottles for one time use only. Once the pressure goes they seem to delaminate internally. Mission impossible style.

20130920_070949.jpg

I guess time will tell if they'll hold up to HB use for very long. It'll be a damned shame if they don't.

The delamination is a bit crap, and I guess the bond may fail with temperature and pressure swings. It should be absolutely fine under pressure if it stays intact as any cracks/stresses will propagate in a hoop/circle around the bottle, rather than a long split to another weak point. These are forged after all....

I will have a play, admit it does throw the confidence off a bit if we can't just bash them around and treat them rough.

The delamination is a bit crap, and I guess the bond may fail with temperature and pressure swings. It should be absolutely fine under pressure if it stays intact as any cracks/stresses will propagate in a hoop/circle around the bottle, rather than a long split to another weak point. These are forged after all....

I will have a play, admit it does throw the confidence off a bit if we can't just bash them around and treat them rough.

Fingers crossed it just acts like a bottle/ bag within a stronger outer bottle/casing.

I can see now that the nylon is used as a barrier, like in other bottles where PET alone absorbs the liquid. Pretty good fun pulling the guts out totally at least.

Beerisyummy said:
Are you guys talking about the thread on the mini regulator that the 16g CO2 cartridges screw into?
No, I'm talking about CO2 out on the mini reg. I remove the fitting that comes with it, and replace with a barb.

hi guys
i just filled TK with water and inserted a 12g soda bulb from ezychargers
it emptied 3.2L of the water and there was still gas left over.
it seems to me that this works well enough for me to start filling with hb.
i have just filled TK with HB and added 8 carbonating drops. will see how this goes in 2 weeks?

JustAdam said:
Update to this, the barbed fitting to get to replace the MFL on the mini regulator is a 1/8 BSP male to 6mm tail. Apparently it is an air compressor part, so you can pick it up from a tool store that deals with them for a couple of bucks, or, so I am told from Autobarn for $7.
Adam, can you post a picture of your fitting, as I thought the reg needed a MFL fitting not BSP?

Beerisyummy said:
No probs! I've posted a few different methods and I'm still experimenting.

The next problem I've encountered with the TK is that the naturally carbed beer has too much sediment. I don't mind but it needs to please the average punter.

Who has force carbonated in the bottle?
Bugger the average punter, if they cant stand a bit of yeast...they dont deserve to drink decent beer lol.
I love it when people complain about that...more for me!

BenH said:
Adam, can you post a picture of your fitting, as I thought the reg needed a MFL fitting not BSP?
Wait, I see what you've done. Should have looked at the picture of the reg more closely. Thanks for the info Adam!

Hi Guys,
The TK bottles are made with added nylon because nylon has far better properties when it comes to oxygen and co2 movement. In short nylon will extend the shelf life of the beer inside.
A down side is the de lamination at the surface.

If sediment is an issue could you use a small elbow at the end of the pipe positioned to point up, or even soften the end of the tube with some heat and bend it up so it does not draw from the very bottom.
Just a thought, The Keg Guy

First time naturally carbonating in PET (normally glass or kegs or force-carbed TK)
I went 7g/L dex and after a week they're as hard as the hobs of hell! I hope that's normal??
Also stuff all head-space as the protruding chamber lid pushed out most of the air.
If you don't hear from me again something went horribly wrong!

Back