Lion introduces "Tap King" - party keg / growlers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an idea but I reckon 8g bulb will do it. Tap-a-draft is nearly 6L and it takes only one 16g to dispense. So if 3.2L an 8g might just work. Might just be 12g to guarantee they are not dealing with returns.

i thought they had both listed at one stage havent bought from them in ages. might have to have a play when the one ive got is empty.

mrTbeer said:
Just an idea but I reckon 8g bulb will do it. Tap-a-draft is nearly 6L and it takes only one 16g to dispense. So if 3.2L an 8g might just work. Might just be 12g to guarantee they are not dealing with returns.
I bought one of these systems with a view to adapting it and was surprised at the pressure/speed the beer pours at and the large amount of head you get. Considering this is megaswill, I think a decent HB beer will have way too much head when poured at that pressure. I think an 8G bulb may be the answer.

The lid can be simply removed without using tap, there is a small lever for the task and wing nuts.
But why? You'll end up with near flat Megaswill but you could use unpierced bulb in lid for your own beer.

I don't believe that bulb carbonates the beer at all since it pours carbed up immediately.

mate its carbonated just feel the bottle exactly like a bottle of coke

browndog said:
I bought one of these systems with a view to adapting it and was surprised at the pressure/speed the beer pours at and the large amount of head you get. Considering this is megaswill, I think a decent HB beer will have way too much head when poured at that pressure. I think an 8G bulb may be the answer.
An 8g bulb may be better, though it would need some sort of spacer, the only way is to get one and try it, they are quite a bit cheaper than the 12 g from ezycgarger. Can a N2O charger be used for dispensing stout? Its nitrous oxide.

n20 will just ruin the beer you need the straight nitrogen

The best thing about these tap king things is the Lionel Richie ad.

Has anyone got any results regarding the carbonation of them after refill?

Curious as to how it would turn out (considering using them for small batch seasonal beers).

Also the nitrogen idea for stout is kinda cool. Anyone game to do one and try it out?

The tap king seems like an almost perfect device for home brewers that don't drink huge amounts and don't have room for a separate keg fridge. I'm not sure how many people fit into that category but I am one.

My only reluctance to get one is how hard it seems to find the 12g unthreaded C02 cartridges. As others have mentioned, I've also read that ones supplied by paintball goods stores often contain a lubricant to help keep paintball guns from jamming. Will definitely be watching this thread to see if anyone can get this to work with a threaded 12g bulb (as sold on finewhip) or even better, mod it to work with an 8g soda siphon bulb as they are very easy to get.

For those pioneering with the units, but are having trouble getting triangular screws out, there is a technique I have used before to unscrew non-standard screw heads in other things. Take a disposable biro/ballpoint pen, remove the tip/ink tube so you are left with just the outer plastic shaft. Heat up the end of the shaft so it is soft and can be molded (but not so hot it starts to drip). You should be now able to squeeze the hole closed at the tip and press it into the screw head then let it cool. If the screws aren't in there *too* tight, you should now have a make-shift plastic screwdriver that fits the triangle head you can use.

Picked one up this arvo, the guy at first choice was pretty helpful. He had an empty one, took the lid off showed me the inners. Should work ok with what I have planned. Must say for 20 bucks the tap unit is well designed, not that I should need it but I grabbed one anyway. Now what to do with 6.2 litres of tooheys new.

Edit. And if it does not work for me the way I planned, at least I will have a couple of starter bottles.

Glengine said:
For those pioneering with the units, but are having trouble getting triangular screws out, there is a technique I have used before to unscrew non-standard screw heads in other things. Take a disposable biro/ballpoint pen, remove the tip/ink tube so you are left with just the outer plastic shaft. Heat up the end of the shaft so it is soft and can be molded (but not so hot it starts to drip). You should be now able to squeeze the hole closed at the tip and press it into the screw head then let it cool. If the screws aren't in there *too* tight, you should now have a make-shift plastic screwdriver that fits the triangle head you can use.
Local brewer had no trouble undoing the screws, used a small triangular file snapped off at the right spot to match the hole size.

Screwy

I'm thinking with the 8g CO2 bulbs, maybe you could cut the bottom off the 12g ones that come with it so that the 8g ones fit in snuggly, size difference may not be great enough to allow this. I'm not brewing again till October so I'll have to see what ideas crop up before then. I will, however, purchase the tap and two bottles in preparation meaning I'll have more than half a batches worth of Tap King bottles.

Latest posts

Back