Limoncello IPA with sour mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

molteb

Reaction score
Been thinking of a beer I tasted in London for a long time.
http://www.sirencraftbrew.com/our-corebeers/varietal-beers/
Siren Limoncello IPA

Now it's time to try to replicate:
For now i will only try i small batch:
Feel free to comment or come with suggestions

Batch Size 20 l
4 kg Pilsner (2Row) (75%)
0,8 kg Oats (15%)
0,5 kg Wheat malt (10%)

Sour Mash for 24 hours

25 g Sorachi Ace (Boil 60 Min)
500 g Lactose (Boil 15 min)
16 g Citra (Boil 10 min)
16 g Citra (Boil 5 Min)

WLP001

75 g Sorachi Ace Dryhop
30 g Centennial Dryhop

Cheers

molteb said:
25 g Sorachi Ace (Boil 60 Min)
500 g Lactose (Boil 15 min)
Be interested to see how it goes.
Thats about the wackiest combo I can remember seeing on this forum.

I've used wai-iti as a dry hop before and it gave a good whack of lemon rind type of flavour. Might be worth a go in this.

I don't know how much limoncello flavour you're gonna get from those hops. I'd add in actual lemon zest during cold conditioning. Sorachi tends to add very weird flavours like bubblegum as well.

I'd also do away with the lactose until cold conditioning too - 500g will make it pretty sweet so I think it's better to see how the fermentation goes before you back sweeten.

I have not got any answers from Siren brewery, but this what Witter-Merithew
Head Brewer at Fanø Bryghus/Grassroot said: The beer is made with 15% oats 10% wheat and 75% pils for the malt. It also has a pretty decent amount of lactose. I use 25kg in a 10hl batch. I sour mash for about 24 hours just to get a tiny bit of that lovely citric tartness. I use hop extract for bittering but I don't really expect you guys to have that laying around. I do Citra at 10 mins and at 5 mins then I WP with Sorachi ace. Beer tends to finish at about 5.5-6P. I dry hop heavy with 75% sorachi and 25% cent. Then when I transfer it to conditioning tank I added the fresh peel of 40 lemons (10hl batch). That is the part that is a pain in the ass as I usually peel them the morning that I am going to transfer and as I am a brewer often have cuts on my hands. I think the fresh peel lends this nice solid lemon flavor with no bitterness from the peel just nice citrus and some of the pith

From the description on the website:

This is a truly different beer. The concept was to develop the flavour and mouthfeel of Limoncello and fuse with the carbonation and lemony hop hit of an IPA. Using pale and wheat malts, the base beer goes through a 24 hour sour process to add to the tartness of the beer. Tons of lemon zest and juice are added to the boil along with all the citrusy lemony hops available.

Are you planning on adding any juice or zest to the boil also? Keep us updated on how you go, sounds like a cool beer.

I have finally managed to make it.
Its fermenting now. Will tell you about the final result.

Good very good.
Sour and lemmmmmonyyy

Given away some bottles and the feedback is good. Need to make more of this.

Nice. I really like the sound of this beer. Do you have any photos? Got a run-down of what you did to brew this beer?

Latest posts

Back