Light Strike

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wally

Netherby ThunderBrew Abbey - home of the MashMonke
Reaction score
wally said:
I am just getting all the gear together to go all grain, and will need to do my brewing outdoors.

I searched the forums for light strike & brewing outdoors, but there were no specific topics relating to my question (that I could see).

Can anybody advise me whether light strike can occur through brewing outdoors?

Thanks,

Wally
[post="115879"][/post]​

Wally.

Can't verify for you as such because I brew in my garage. However there are so many brewers on this forum and throughout the world who brew outdoors, some of them even rack to glass carboys which would run the full gamut of UV light.

Haven't heard too many negative comments at all. I'd say you'd be fine. :)

I'm sure there'll be plenty of au-naturale brewers who'll chime in though. B)

Warren -

G'day Wally,

I brew outdoors and have had no problems with light strike so far. That said, I try and keep my boil and chilling stages out of direct sunlight, which isn't hard to do. So long as you have your hopped wort out of direct sunlight you should be fine in my experience.

Best of luck with it all mate,

Shawn.

Light strike is nasty. Doesn't take long to occur either. I find it smells a bit like tomato plant vine, a very distinctive aroma. Have detected the aroma in glasses of beer that have sat in the sun.

I have done all my brews outside without a problem.

When boiling your brew, adjust the lid so that the direct sunlight is not shining on the boiling wort, but still allows for steam to escape

... Just the occasional very inquisitive fly... or bee! :lol:

Good luck with it,

Shawn.

I've read that the effect of sunshine on hops during the boil can produce off flavours. Not sure if it's the skunky thing you get in light struck bottles or something different. I find a market umbrella gives good protection from the sun and keeps the rain off if the weather changes too - like the last time I brewed.

Market Umbrella? Sheer luxury! :lol:

Why I've got nothin' but an asbestos roof. Cough! Cough! Cough! :blink:

Warren -

I have to say it does add that touch of ambience! B)

Well, I brew outdoors but it's under a verandah of sorts (well, more of a large shadecloth thing) so direct sunlight isn't a problem. Also, haven't had any problems with light strike so far!

Back