Light Alcohol Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l7edwards

Reaction score
Hey All,

Im after a decent recipe, k&k or extract, for a light lager... any style is fine. Cheers!

Coopers Mexican Cerveza kit, up to 23L, should get 2.3-2.5% ABV.

I find Coopers or Morgans canadian makes a good recipe base. If you are looking for midstrength you could try a canadian plus HALF a bag of Brew Enhancer 2 for some extra body, use a hop teabag as directed (Saaz or Hallertau) and use a better yeast such as s-04 or Nottingham available from sponsors.

Should render a clean tasting mildly hopped drop and if you use something fast like Nottingham you should be drinking it in a couple of weeks.

Gelatine finings and Polyclar would also help if you want to go to the extra trouble.

A decent kit suiting to a lighter body and malt profile, such as the Canadian or Cerveza styles would work well. Personally I'd add a half kilo of malt and be done with it, and make a mid-strength. A kit bitterness will shine through more than usual due to reduced malt levels, but this is a good thing in my opinion.

Cheers - boingk

PS: If you can't get down in temp enough to warrant a true lager yeast and are worried about the effect this will have, I've found US-56 to be a good compromise, leaving a clean palate and crisp, smooth bitterness when brewed sub 20'C.

Cheers - boingk

Back