Licorice Root Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjhansford

Reaction score
Currently drinking a Robust Porter (came 4th in the QABC last week) and last night I opened a bag of licorice root (purchased from Craft Brewer on a whim) and chewed on a small piece while drinking the Porter. Great combination!

So today I'm home on TOIL and I want to brew a Locorice Root Porter ... any advice?

Craft Brewer says the dosage is 14 to 28gm licorice per 20 litres added at the end of the boil ... big range ... I don't want it to be overpowering ... but I do want to be able to notice it.

Anyone expereimented with Licorice?

ghhb

I put liquorice extract into a stout once, a long time ago. Apparently helps with head formation, and adds some flavour. Added a couple of table spoons to the batch...didn't much of either though.

I've found alot of stouts and porters often have a liquorice element about them just from combination of roast malts and hops (and possible yeast?). After trying Malt Shovels Noir Stout recently, which apparently uses liquorice in it, I wouldn't be opposed to adding some and seeing how it goes.

Latest posts

Back