Lets Not Talk About The Liver

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony M

Reaction score
Today, the doctor dropped the clanger we all dread to hear "Cut back on booze or look forward to liver disease in a couple of years down the track". My beers are typically around 5.5% so I figure that if I can brew something below 3.5% I can follow doctors orders and still indulge in my habitual drink. Therefore, I would be grateful for any recipes or techniques to brew something low alcohol that still tastes and feels like beer and not soda water.

Today, the doctor dropped the clanger we all dread to hear "Cut back on booze or look forward to liver disease in a couple of years down the track". My beers are typically around 5.5% so I figure that if I can brew something below 3.5% I can follow doctors orders and still indulge in my habitual drink. Therefore, I would be grateful for any recipes or techniques to brew something low alcohol that still tastes and feels like beer and not soda water.

A bitter is always a good drop, plenty of flavour. I not long ago had a mild ( geoffi ) and it was delicious.

Look after yourself mate.

Nothing about the pipe ? <_<

When they take that off me as well Mika, I'll jump off the back of the boat.

cant you just halve your intake?

you should brew Doc's yardsession light (See the receipe database), im going to give it a try, this week.

When they take that off me as well Mika, I'll jump off the back of the boat.

:D I'd miss the pipe at the brewdays.

English Mild springs to mind as well...mostly because I saw a recipe for it in the discussion field today.

Hi Tony
I used to brew a few low alcohol ordinary bitters but really it is difficult to pack balanced flavour into them and I find they do taste thin. My standard low alcohol option is a dark English mild, some chocolate malt, some crystal, and a bit of golden syrup if you want to get a hint of toffee in there as well. A low attenuating yeast like 1968 and you can get a good flavour and body at a bit over 3%.

Well don't hold back GL, where's the recipe ?

Back