Let's Freeze Some Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume it's okay to re-use your vials? And, if so, how do you label them?

And also, I've now got some racks for my vials. I'm looking for a suitable box to house them. How about a little esky with some ice bricks alongside the racks of vials?

i use small stickers on top to right on.. peel off when washing for vial re-use

and if you have a frost free, certainly use ice bricks.. I dont use anything in the deep freezer though

SBOB said:
i use small stickers on top to right on..
Wow..that should obviously be 'write on'... Though perhaps the stickers are for encouragement like when you reward children, and I subconsciously meant that I say 'right on' to cheer on my yeast..

I number mine and track in google sheets with other inventory. I also made a recipe builder that deducts from inventory. Yes I like spreadsheets

Probably a dumb question, but is there a difference between getting a stove top pressure cooker and an electrical pressure cooker? or does it not matter which one you use to boil the 50/50 glycerin/water mix in?

Can't do the microwave method as i don't have one, currently i just boil my vials in a pot for 15 minutes to sterilize and store yeast in these with cooled boiled water in the fridge for future use, but want to get into freezing as they will last longer and seems more fun :)

well I have just froze my first lot of yeast M76 Bavarian Lager .................thinking of having a go at drying some yeast also down the track , I think I'm addicted to all things homebrew lol

2 weeks ago I froze my first yeast.

Already I have 5 different strains (and a total of 20 vials) in the freezer.

Soon I'll be out of vials and freezer space ...

kaiserben said:
2 weeks ago I froze my first yeast.

Already I have 5 different strains (and a total of 20 vials) in the freezer.

Soon I'll be out of vials and freezer space ...
good work... do you need an 1100lt deep freezer? :ph34r: :lol: :p

(only kidding, I need it for the next brewman yeast buy up)

Just a thought, this might already have been discussed in this thread but too long to back through it all - will food grade propylene glycol work as well as glycerine??

The reason I ask is the way I understand things, the yeast survive freezing temperatures because the glycerine doesn't freeze and prevents ice crystals from bursting the yeast cells.

I don't suppose it matter which one you use, both are water soluble and both can get well below freezing, I think it's -50C for PG

My understanding is that the yeast absorb the glycerine which stops them from bursting somehow (someone with more knowledge than I will know). Mine completely freeze though fire up without any issue.

I could be well truly wrong on this one.

There are two schools of thought I've run across. One is that the glycerine keeps the yeast from freezing. The other is that the glycerine keeps the yeast from dehydrating. However, that doesn't answer the question of whether glycerine or propylene glycol. Give it a try. do yeast from the same batch, half with glycerine, half with pg. Be interesting to see how it goes.

my thoughts lead toward the glycerine expelling the water, when you pour some in the vial it displaces the water, if the yeast membrane still had water it would still freeze right?

no science behind this, just the way I think it would be, the yeast is still at -20 in the deep freezer so any water will surely be ice crystal?

keeping it simple going to freeze some US05 and use this first so I can easily use a dried packet if it fails .
Haven't done a starter yet still waiting on a yeast forge , may try one without a stirplate while I wait .
Once I have success will be hitting Brewman up for some different yeast strains

yeast.JPG

Back