Let's Freeze Some Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're going to get them from Proscitech, get the LCA03-50
My LCA01 free standing tubes sometimes leak if knocked over

sp0rk said:
If you're going to get them from Proscitech, get the LCA03-50
My LCA01 free standing tubes sometimes leak if knocked over
Bugger. I grabbed the LCA01, they looked the goods.

I haven't yet seen any leaks and I whacked one in the fridge to do a mild that was relegated because I needed some more AIPA, so I'll see how that goes. I have an empty six pack from a Carslberg special that holds them up when in the freezer.

Good to know though.

Silly newbie question put could you use sanitised zip lock bags . I presume there would be some form of sterisation as they are mainly used for food . Only real issue I could see would be pouring them into a starter

I have also ordered a couple, but I think they must be coming by carrier pigeon that's sitting on a container ship as the expected arrival date is showing as may!! Be wary of free shipping as while it might be free it can take a while.

Gloveski said:
Silly newbie question put could you use sanitised zip lock bags . I presume there would be some form of sterisation as they are mainly used for food . Only real issue I could see would be pouring them into a starter
No

Yob said:
I've got one on the way too, they look the goods
mine already arrived
Fits the vials without issue (pretty firmly)

For $4 (or in your case, about $400 for all your vials) its a good value vial rack

Looks like Yob has already placed his order as they were out of stock when I looked.

Another success story for the thread... WLP004 I froze from the original white labs vial in Jun 2015.

5ml yeast solids in the vial and after 3 steps / 5 days I had a 2.5L starter starting to drop clear at ambient temps. Not a bad result from 1/6 of a yeast purchase and 2$ sugaz.

med_gallery_34854_1225_1577702.jpg

Stupid question time:

How do you get your liquids into these little vials?

Pouring carefully?

Seriously though, I'm either filling vials from fresh packs of yeast or from narrow mouthed flasks. Even if I rinse a yeast cake in larger jars, it ultimately ends up in a flask on (after?) the final rinse. Although I hardly bother with yeast rinsing any more... it's just not worth the effort when I can spin up another dozen vials worth on the stir plate.

yep
pour gently from Erlenmeyer flask.. even with a wide flask its easy after the first couple of tries

decant as much spent wort as possible leaving as thick a yeast cake as you can, then pour into vials which already have been prepared (water/glycerine combo + pressure cooked)

I wouldn't have any trouble pouring from fresh packs (because you can bend the packaging so it forms a spout), but I was a bit worried about pouring from my 3L Erlenmeyer flask.

EDIT: And my plan was to make starters from fresh packs (which often aren't all that fresh after sitting in a shop for months), chill and decant wort, then get yeast into vials. Anyway, I'll see how it goes.

I pour from my erlenmeyer into a glass jar to settle off the remaining wort and give it a slight rinse - nothing exhaustive. From there I use the syringe trick that BribieG outlines at the start.

That also clears up the erlenmeyer for the next spin.

Latest posts

Back