Let's Freeze Some Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewnut said:
Nope should be fully mixed
Damn!! I may tried to bring back to refrigerator temperature and shake to mix. Worse case it all came from the same pack so not out of pocket that much... fingers crossed I can recover something :)

Final question,

the 50% yeast slurry. Is that yeast with a little bit of worth that has been mixed into it? Or just the pure yeast.

Reason I asked, is I"m looking at the Splitting a smack pack thread, and I fired up a smack pack that was old and I thought stuffed, and now it's working and is sitting on 1L of 1.040 starter.

Do I ferment out and nick the pure yeast?

I always have enough wort or sterile water to make the yeast liquid enough to work with easily. If splitting straight from a fresh smack pack, I split it into 5 50ml vials (including the glycerine solution).

Gents, any place you get test tubes in Australia?

I reckon my 10 tubes will be only enough for one batch of yeast I've been culturing for a week and I don't want to wait until the baby reaches puberty until I get the Guangzhou specials.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Gents, any place you get test tubes in Australia?

I reckon my 10 tubes will be only enough for one batch of yeast I've been culturing for a week and I don't want to wait until the baby reaches puberty until I get the Guangzhou specials.
I bought these 50 ml autoclavable tubes (LCAO) from Proscitech (Mentioned earlier in the thread) and they work like a charm. I got 50 for $ 21 + Shipping, happy to ship a few your way if you want to test them out.

https://proscitech.com/?navaction=show_page&chapter=l&page=9#lca01

Schooner_downunder said:
I bought these 50 ml autoclavable tubes (LCAO) from Proscitech (Mentioned earlier in the thread) and they work like a charm. I got 50 for $ 21 + Shipping, happy to ship a few your way if you want to test them out.

https://proscitech.com/?navaction=show_page&chapter=l&page=9#lca01
That would be awesome! Thanks so much!

I just found out that the Guangzhou specials don't like being heated to boiling water temps for an hour. The caps held up, though.

Even the autoclavable ones don't like being pressure cooked with the lids screwed down tight. Another rookie mistake.

Yeah, definitely leave the lids LOOSE when you pressure cook vials, otherwise the sides cave in once they get hot.

Camo6 said:
Even the autoclavable ones don't like being pressure cooked with the lids screwed down tight. Another rookie mistake.
Mardoo said:
Yeah, definitely leave the lids LOOSE when you pressure cook vials, otherwise the sides cave in once they get hot.
Thanks for the tips, gents. I took the lid off mine, and whether that hurt the cause, I can't think it would have made that much difference to the body shape, but who knows?

Looking at prositech, I'm thinking bulk buy for SEQ? Free delivery for over $250 orders and I reckon a little negotiating might get a cheaper per unit price.

Another stoopid kitten in airlock, RDWHAHB type of question.

My frozen yeasts appear to have slightly separated. By which there appears to be a denser brown liquid at the bottom and the balance being 'yeast brown', but not so dense looking.

I shook them up before chucking them in the deep freeze (which is not frost free) to assimilate the glycerine/water and yeast. Used the 25/25/50 ratio.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Another stoopid kitten in airlock, RDWHAHB type of question.

My frozen yeasts appear to have slightly separated. By which there appears to be a denser brown liquid at the bottom and the balance being 'yeast brown', but not so dense looking.

I shook them up before chucking them in the deep freeze (which is not frost free) to assimilate the glycerine/water and yeast. Used the 25/25/50 ratio.
based on my experience, perfectly normal

All my frozen samples still settle before freezing so yeast/trub at bottom and clearer liquid at top

Latest posts

Back